OT: Ford Ranger questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Ford Ranger questions

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OK you Ford guys. What you think of the Ford Ranger with the 5 speed manual tranny. Has a 3.0 Liter V6. Anything good or bad about them its a 2001 with 35K on it. Is the tranny durable or were they trouble prone???
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Ford Ranger questions

Post by MrMurphy »

We had some of the 4dr British models with a 5spd deployed for light duty work and considering half the drivers did not know how to drive stick when they started, i'd say they held up well. :)

I had a 4cyl 5spd '96 and it never had any trans issues from 1998-2005 when i sold it prior to going overseas.
ryangrey
Levergunner

Post by ryangrey »

I have a 4cyl 5 speed that has 160k on it. I got it at 60k and have never had an engine/tranny issue.

My only problem have been broken U joints(2), a broken sway bar and front stabilizer rods(1) and rusted out rims.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I had a 94 2.3 L 5 speed no mechanical issues 250000 km electronics starting up.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My wife drives an 03 extended cab ranger 4x4 V6 and 5 spd ,with the short box and that little bugger will get up to 23 mpg on at hiway speeds on long trips. Gets around great in the snow and mud with just a little weight in the back. No issues with it so far and it's getting close to 90K on the odometer.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I drive an `89` 2.3 L ,5 speed.
I have had it for 6 years and only had it in 5th.once (just to see if it worked).
I forget it has five and drive it like it only has four.
I don't miss it any. 160K on it now. Tranny is still tight and silent. :wink:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I think the tranny is Mazda(as well as the engine)
I know my 2001 Ford Escape has a Mazda 5 speed.
It is geared "real low" in first and holds up well.
Thats real low mileage for a 01 and it should be a good ride!
Good luck
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

My 96, 3.0 liter, 4x4, extended cab, with 5 speed manuel transmission has 165k miles and has been a great truck every since I bought it new. Its always got over 24 mpg on the highway and 17mpg in town. The clutch needed replaced at around 120k but other than that it has only needed a fuel pump and a alternator. It still runs good and has been a good investment.
Dave
Last edited by 243dave on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I STILL own/drive the 1998 Ranger I bought new, with the standard cab that got a new 4" enlargement that year, and a DOHC, 8-sparkplug 4-cyl, 4-speed w/OD standard-shift 2-wheel drive & stepside short bed.

In 13 years, I've put 213,000 (approx) miles on it, with lube/oil/filter every 3,000 miles.

I mounted a small toolbox in the fron end of the bed, but no bedcover or liner. I personally undercoated the entire chassis the day after I bought it.

The first year, I had a fuel mixture sensor go bad (replaced under warranty), and two flat tires.

I've replaced the brake pads once, the clutch adujsted once, but never replaced, new tires once (Firestones).

That's it, not including fender-bender repairs, of which there were two.

I LOVE it, and think of it as an outdoorsman's sportscar - the best $9K I've everr spent.

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I drove a Ranger "edge" pickup with the 3 liter eng.The engine was the multi fuel model
that has the the green leaf emblem on the tailgate.That engine didnt like 87 oct gas so I
had to run super so it wouldnt ping and knock.It was a great truck but I didnt care for the engine. If it has the regular straight gas motor "good to go"
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I am on my 2nd Ranger. The first one was a used one that I picked up in Alaska. You could not kill it with a stick and it sold me on Rangers. Sold it when I left the bush and replaced it with a 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4. It has the 4L engine and automatic transmission - a package I strongly recommend. I have used it to pull a 20 foot travel trailer all over the country and it has never missed a beat. I don't recall doing anything other than changing the oil and keeping air in the tires. It now has 134,000 miles on it, and other than a rattle in one door it has held up very well. I have a buddy who has a 1999 with the small engine and manual transmission. He has 275,000 miles on his. If you buy one, don't plan on wearing it out anytime soon!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The British-built 4-door model can carry 10 people, body armor, 3,000-5,000 rounds of ammo, 10 assault packs and assorted weaponry at 35mph just fine.

Don't ask how we made it all fit, but it did.

Commander wasn't so pleased, but adapt and overcome when you're 30 miles on the wrong end of the perimeter and need to get back...

Come to think of it, i fit around 10 people and assorted fishing gear including a wheelchair into my old extracab 4 cyl.

We weren't doing 70mph but we got to the lake. :)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

MrMurphy wrote:The British-built 4-door model can carry 10 people, body armor, 3,000-5,000 rounds of ammo, 10 assault packs and assorted weaponry at 35mph just fine.
Sounds like a typical range day to me... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I think the Ford Ranger is history. no more imports of the ranger? check with ford.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Its fairly common for Ford trannys to fail at 170k miles. Buy a factory rebuilt and have it installed locally:
- better warranty
- consistent and predictable performance

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!