Driving out a front sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Driving out a front sight

Post by Steelbanger »

I always drive front sights out from left to right. I have been trying to replace the front on a commemortative Winchester 94 with a globe but cannot get the original sight out. Makes me wonder if it isn't welded in. Anything I'm missing? Thank you experts.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Driving out a front sight

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Steelbanger!,
I have always drove from left to right with the gun pointed away from you. (as in shooting it)

That sight will come out. Make sure you rest the barrel on a solid chunk of wood, supporting it the best you can. Get a brass drift about a 1/4" in diameter and smack it with a semi-heavy hammer. You can even heat it up some with a torch but.............if it has a silver soldered ramp, don't do that. Even with a ramp, its best to use a sight pusher. As most comm. '94's have just a pushed in sight, you should be good-to-go. :D

Hey! You coming to the Regional Silhouettes on July 4 weekend? Me, Gunny, and crew will be there. The laughs will be constant and the "wind" will be blowing. You will think that a thunder storm is hiding in our pants. :D--------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello Jack,

It's out! I have a short brass rod which is dedicated for driving sights out of dovetails. Problem is that with my lacking organizational skills I couldn't find it. I substituted a 500 gr. 45 cal hard cast bullet and it didn't work. I think the hammer energy was spent deforming the bullet. So I dug around once again and located my brass rod. I want to put a Lyman 17A on this rifle but it needs to be fitted so I'm saving that for tomorrow. Today I replaced sights on three rifles so I can see some range time coming up soon.

I don't plan on going to Bradford this year so no Regionals for me. Right now I intend to shoot one day at the states at Tiadaghton, probably Saturday when I can fire two matches.

I talked with Gunny at Consolidated last Sat. He seemed to have a good time there with his 444. I guess with your aromatic reputation he didn't invite you to camp with him huh? I was only 15 targets behind the winner on Saturday. Derek shot a 40 for the win.

See you somewhere, sometime down the line. You going to the states?

Thanks for your input.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Steelbanger wrote:I want to put a Lyman 17A on this rifle but it needs to be fitted so I'm saving that for tomorrow.
When I mounted the Lyman 17A globe on my Winchester 94, I had to take a thin “slice” off the front of the sight so it would clear the barrel band… Yours might need the same.

I didn’t have to trim the sides of the globe like I did to fit the same globe to a Marlin ramp.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Nice job with that slice. I'm glad that mine won't need that since there are no barrel bands. I am hoping that a few strokes with the file will allow the 17A to slide in with a tight fit.
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Glad your sight came out without to much effort.
Old Law Dawg
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

kimwcook wrote:Glad your sight came out without to much effort.
Are you kidding? Mine was a nightmare coming out...

I ruined a good-sized brass punch that thing was so danged tight. I wound up having to use a steel punch and a piece of a penny that I cut into 4 chunks to transmit enough "whap" to dislodge the original blade.

I didn't have to dress any angles on my globe to get it started, nor did I have to trim the sides of the dovetail. I've got a Williams "FP" sight on the rear of my 94 Trapper, so the results were well worth the effort required. The globe + rear aperture make sighting easy and you can install different inserts in the globe to see what works best.

Here’s the rear sight and view with the circle-hole insert installed.

and these are the various inserts that come with the globe.

So far, I’ve installed Lyman 17 AHB globes on my Win 94 Trapper and Marlin 1894c and really like them a lot. No matter which angle the sun is hitting you from – your sights will always be shaded and clearly visible.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Sixgun wrote: the "wind" will be blowing. You will think that a thunder storm is hiding in our pants. :D--------------------------Sixgun
whoa :!: TMI :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Frank,
Glad to see you got it out. The State Champs? You bet we will be there! Life is too short to give up a fun weekend..

Funny thing, a couple of weeks ago Gunny and I were at the gunclub playing with various firearms. One was his 444 and I put on a new bead front sight or it. He was hitting everything and was eagerly anticipating the next shoot. So.....what does he do? He gets 3 pigs at the shoot you saw him at. Ha! Those pigs are as big as a house. I told him it was because his "ace" spotter was not there. :D We will see...........

See you at the States! :D ----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..