OT - Buntline revived

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Buntline revived

Post by perry owens »

One of the few remaining legal ways to own a revolver in the UK is to get what the law calls a long barelled revolver. The gun must be not less than 24in overall with a barrel not less than 12in. Some of our CAS shooters use the Uberti Cattleman fitted with a 19in barrel.
Here is Pam, alias Annie 'Opeless, at our shoot last week.Still shooting at over 70 and still hitting stuff.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ ... ntline.mp4
Note the length of the holster - hard to draw if you have short arms.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Buntline revived

Post by gak »

Nineteen inches needs a set of wheels on the front :). I think I'd go for a 12" (or 12.1 if necessary). Within reason, it's amazing how much buntlines *don't* weigh--not that much more perceived than a 5.5" or 7.5"...that is if they're a bigbore! A friend has several in the 9.5/10"-16" range.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

gak wrote:Nineteen inches needs a set of wheels on the front :). I think I'd go for a 12" (or 12.1 if necessary). Within reason, it's amazing how much buntlines *don't* weigh--not that much more perceived than a 5.5" or 7.5"...that is if they're a bigbore! A friend has several in the 9.5/10"-16" range.
Trouble is, over here the overall length still has to be 24in minimum. If you have a 12in barrel they weld a wrist brace on to the frame like on this Taurus
No good for CAS or if you are left handed.
Perry Owens
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It seems crazy that the only modern handguns we are allowed are potentially more accurate and powerful than the ones they banned and as for making handguns harder to conceal, has nobody in the UK government heard of hacksaws! :roll:

Still nice to see that lady enjoying herself, because she can.. :D
Last edited by gamekeeper on Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That reminds me of the revolver used by Jack Nickolson in the first Batman movie. :o
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s crazy but at least ya all adapt and are having fun, why don`t the gov just let the good guys alone. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pitchy wrote:That`s crazy but at least ya all adapt and are having fun, why don`t the gov just let the good guys alone. :roll:
Cos their's brains were lost ages ago Pitchy!

Nice vid PO, say hi to Pam :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Now that is just plain crazy. I give the gal a big thumbs up for participating and using a pistol grip rifle. Holy smokes.
Old Law Dawg
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"as for making handguns harder to conceal, has nobody in the UK government heard of hacksaws!"

Simply ban hacksaws (and steak knives). Why would the average law abiding citizen need a hacksaw anyway, they have no legitimite sporting purpose. :)

Shooting a long barreled pistol with a wrist support looks like it might be a lot of fun though, specially at really long ranges.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Perry Owens is it legal to have a detachable shoulder stock with a 24" pistol?

I just viewed the video and in the interests of safety I believe the revolver should be bound to the holster with red tape so that it can't accidentially be lost. "Still shooting at over 70 and still hitting stuff." Impressive, she handles that revolver like it had a regular barrel. Its good to see seniors active and to see people adapt to restrictive legislation and still enjoy shooting.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Hawkeye2 wrote:Perry Owens is it legal to have a detachable shoulder stock with a 24" pistol?
Yes, provided the pistol has an overal length of 24in without the detachable stock. If it forms part of the 24in then the stock has to be permanently attached. Sawing off the wrist brace can get you 10 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure.
Perry Owens
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Not sure of the dimensions, but Mares Leg/Ranch Hand types?
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

gak wrote:Not sure of the dimensions, but Mares Leg/Ranch Hand types?
The Chiappa Mares Leg is legal in the UK but at UK£875 (US$1435) I don't expect to see many.
Perry Owens
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

perry owens wrote:
gak wrote:Not sure of the dimensions, but Mares Leg/Ranch Hand types?
The Chiappa Mares Leg is legal in the UK but at UK£875 (US$1435) I don't expect to see many.
Perry Owens
And they're just impossible to shoot "Gunfighter" with! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Perry, I know this is simplistic but can't you folks get on the stick and elect some folks that will end your insane gun laws? Do the majority of English people support your restrictions? Thanks, I don't mean to sound rude I just don't understand how you accept it so willingly. Maybe you could send me a PM and explain it to me if you feel like it. If not I understand. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

rodeo kid wrote:Perry, I know this is simplistic but can't you folks get on the stick and elect some folks that will end your insane gun laws? Do the majority of English people support your restrictions? Thanks, I don't mean to sound rude I just don't understand how you accept it so willingly. Maybe you could send me a PM and explain it to me if you feel like it. If not I understand. God Bless.
Kid, we don't accept it willingly but, due to the way our electoral system is rigged, we can actually do very little about it. The UK is divided into 650 parliamentary constituencies, each with an elected member of parliament. There are about 600000 shooters of all disciplines, out of a total population of 62 million, so less than 1%. Being so thinly spread, even if all the shooters in one constituency banded together they could not form a big enough majority to swing an issue like gun ownership. Once elected, an MP is in place for at least 4 years and can only be sacked by his party or if he goes to prison.
The public thinks what it is told to think by the media and in the past the knee-jerk reaction to mass shootings has been a demand to ban the weopons used. The government, happy to divert attention from its complete failure to control gun crime, has been happy to oblige. Self loading rifles went in 1988 followed by pistols in 1997. It didn't help that the mass shootings that triggered these bans were carried out with legally held guns.Last year a nutter killed 12 people with a shotgun and .22 rifle but the government response this time was to say that further restrictions on gun ownership would be unlikely to prevent a recurrence, so maybe they are finally seeing the light.
Yesterday in London a man was machine-gunned to death from the back of a motorcycle - so much for gun control.
Perry Owens
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

perry owens wrote:Her Majesty's Pleasure.
The thought of which rather turns the stomach...

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.