OT: The pain of loosing pets - Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: The pain of loosing pets - Update

Post by J Miller »

July of '08 my wife and I rescued four kittens.
The first, Cleo, disappeared 10 months later.
The second, PK Dot, died 9 days later from an unknown cause.
The third, Leo ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28809 ), died of some sort of tumor July of '09
The fourth one, Slick, is dying right now of something. He's at the vets who are trying everything they know without success.

When going back through their history it seems they all had health problems early and may have had compromised immune systems from the start. What ever the cause it's now killing the last of them.

We fight for them tooth and nail until there is just no hope or possibility of their recovery. By then we're hip pocket deep in debt. That's the case now.
With the charges for Leo last year, and Slick now we are nearly $600.00 in the hole. These charges add up fast and then suddenly we look at the bill and cringe. We ask ourselves: ARE YOU MENTALLY DERANGED? You can't pay your own medical bills and you do this?!
So now we make payments and hope and pray neither of us and none of the other kitties get sick before we can pay it off.

Anybody here interested in buying fountain pens, ball pens, and pencils. Pet tents, and wife says a special order on a jeans quilt. (PM or email me for that info.) That's about all I / we have to sell short of my guns and I'm not that desperate yet.

Some prayers for encouragement, mental clarity, and financial inspiration would be most welcome.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: The costs of loosing pets.

Post by RIHMFIRE »

The reason they had health problems is because
their mother did not nurse them for the proper amount of time...
If an animal is not getting their mothers milk..their immune system
will not develop.

I am in the same boat financially...no work....thanks to...well you know who!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dang Joe :( we are praying for ya and will contact about sending some cash.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RIHMFIRE wrote:The reason they had health problems is because
their mother did not nurse them for the proper amount of time...
If an animal is not getting their mothers milk..their immune system
will not develop.

I am in the same boat financially...no work....thanks to...well you know who!
RIHMFIRE, you are absolutely correct. The momma cat was first seen hiding under a shed behind the Pizzeria where my wife works. She was feeding the kittens food from the trash bin as well as nursing them. There was 6 kittens at first. Then there were 4, then the momma cat disappeared. It took us another week to pull them out. They were maybe 6 weeks old, or older but malnourished.
So their immune system was pretty much defunct from the start.

It's still hard to loose them.

As for the employment and jobs, my brother lives off a trust fund from his adopted parents. When the R party is in office he has more money than he can spend. When the D party is in office, he can barely pay his bills.

I've told my wife, "NO MORE KITTIES". Once these are gone, then that's it. Maybe by the time these elderly ones are gone we'll have better jobs. Hey, I can hope can't I?
Pitchy wrote:Dang Joe :( we are praying for ya and will contact about sending some cash.
Pitchy, Prayers accepted, and thanks for the thoughts.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sent a little, not much but every little bit helps, you`ve been a good friend 8) not counting when i first arrived. :shock: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Sorry to hear this... I hope little Slick makes it (and have an inner feeling that he will). Something makes me think that he was the most misbehaved kitten from that litter.

But yes - I too spend more on my dog's medical care than I do on my own. I never could understand how & why people did that until I had such a terrific pet of my own.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Slick,
Thanks for the good wishes.

We've decided that if he's still alive tomorrow we're going to bring him home and work with him till he recovers or dies.

We've also had some other suggestions as to medications that we are going to ask about as well.

All I can do is hope for the best and cross my fingers.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Some people have Kids. Others care for Strays (kids &/or animals).

No one who has ever raised a child has any right to complain about how you deal with YOUR "kids".

I'm an avid Hunter. But I'm also the type who will protect almost any (non predatory) animal who I am not actively hunting.

If I could make enough money to live on at it, I'd run an Animal Shelter.

Mental Health is as, or more, important than "physical health". You have to do what is "right" for you, at whatever the monetary cost, in order to stay sane. Personally, it is very hard for me not to become an "Animal Rescue Hoarder". I'm only able to avoid it by living in impossibly small enviorns controlled by 2 cats.

If "they" don't like it, tough.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:We fight for them tooth and nail until there is just no hope or possibility of their recovery. By then we're hip pocket deep in debt. That's the case now.
With the charges for Leo last year, and Slick now we are nearly $600.00 in the hole. These charges add up fast and then suddenly we look at the bill and cringe. We ask ourselves: ARE YOU MENTALLY DERANGED? You can't pay your own medical bills and you do this?!
I've had patients refuse to pay me for treating life-threatening human illnesses, who admit they're paying thousands of dollars in veterinary bills to get pet skunks de-scented, etc., vs. paying me $50 to treat their own pneumonia. :(

Of course it's their choice, until we get fully 'socialized' health care, in which case they'll be paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for dogs, cats, and other pets, but demanding that their pet-less neighbors cover their cholesterol medication through Medicare or some other socialized-health-care ripoff.

Go figure... :roll:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lest there be any confusion, we're not refusing to pay our MDs, we're just not going to see them.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Lest there be any confusion, we're not refusing to pay our MDs, we're just not going to see them.
I wasn't intending to pick on you in particular, Joe, just commenting on how people value their pets more than themselves, and seem more willing to pay their veterinarian bills 100%, vs. their physicians.

Just don't put off taking care of yourselves and wind up diabetic or having bypass surgery, when a bit of preventative care would have kept you out of that sort of mess. Unfortunately our 'socialized' health care system has made it appear to be a 'freebie' to have the bad thing taken care of using Medicare that would have cost a bunch of (over-inflated, smoke-and-mirrors) charges to pay right now to prevent it.

What a mess we've made... :(

It's no wonder people just sort of pull into their financial and health shells, hoping to avoid bankruptcy, and still their compassion compels them to take care of the 'needy' - be they neighbors without food or heat, or pets with injuries or health problems.

Interestingly, PETS are one of the most effective 'therapies' for shut-ins, elderly, and depressed folks; often doing them far more good than all the pricey drugs and 'counseling' we prescribe. That shows how deeply they are ingrained into our mindset, so you're not alone...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My prayers and thoughts your way. Pets'll do that to you! It's what they eventually do. Eventually, the many losses took a toll on me andI had to take a hiatus for awhile.
One of the great injustices of life is that our pet's lives are so much shorter than most of their human companion's. Don't forget to take care of yourself too though!
(Edited for brevity).
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:Lest there be any confusion, we're not refusing to pay our MDs, we're just not going to see them.
I wasn't intending to pick on you in particular, Joe, just commenting on how people value their pets more than themselves, and seem more willing to pay their veterinarian bills 100%, vs. their physicians.
Just so there's no confusion, while I said that I spend more on vet bills v.s. my own doctor bills - I do because I belong to an HMO. An office visit for me is $15, for my dog it's $38. Copay for my medication is $5 but my pet's meds cost more, and I do mean WAY more. In fact, it's what ever they say the price is or I go home and see if Canadian pet shops sell what I need.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Joe, PM sent. I have 3 dogs who are some of the best friends one could ask for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sorry to hear about this Joe. When My Wifes cat is gone no more. I told Her yesterday we may as well have 3 babies in the house.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

piller, message received and answered. Thank you.

.45 Colt, I've said the same thing. "No more cats", we've finally agreed on that. Once these kitties are gone ... no more.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thor is just like family, (and more fun to be around :lol: ) but if he gets bad off and I can't afford it, he's off to The Rainbow Bridge :|
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This is just a wee bit off topic but we keep a manila envelope with each kitties vet records in it. I was looking at the pile yesterday and found we have lost 11 kitties over the 10 years we've been in this house. Several to advanced old age, we brought them with us from Phoenix. Several to tumors and cancer. Some disappeared. And then three or four to what ever this general illness is that is making Slick sick. I'm wondering if there isn't something in this house that's causing it?

Slick update;

He spent the last 4 days at the vets with them working on him. He is still alive. So ... we have decided that unless the vets prognosis is totally negative we're bringing him home. The vet has some really potent vitamins and we've got some smoking good recipes for kitty and kitten food from the
HomesteadingToday forum ( http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/index.php ). So we're gonna stuff him with the food and vitamins and he's either gonna pull through or we're gonna kill him trying. (My wife's comment.) At any rate that will be less expensive than having him put down and cremated.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just feed him some dry kibble with some warm water.......it takes much needed energy to process lots of food when they are sick.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine, all,

Slick is home now. We got back from the vet just before 4:00pm. He's about the same, maybe a little better. He's breathing better for sure.
We've got a different kind of anti-biotics, some special sick kitty food, and some rip snortin vitamins. So we got a ways to go, but we ain't gonna give up.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don't know why I didn't do it before. Here's a pic of Slick:

This was before he got sick, and we're gonna try like crazy to get him back there.

Joe
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Good Luck Joe, Hope things work out !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:Just feed him some dry kibble with some warm water.......it takes much needed energy to process lots of food when they are sick.
Problem is, he can't seem to keep the dry food down. Eats a bit then up it comes. Wet food and liquids are much better.

We will feed him by hand if necessary. A little at a time. Then what ever he want's to try himself is all the better.

Joe
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I'm thinking that little Slick might do well will small amounts of canned foods administered periodically in small amounts on a regular schedule every few hours. I think He will recover.

Hey Joe - just curious, does Slick have a white "diamond shape" in the fur on his chest???
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Slick wrote:I'm thinking that little Slick might do well will small amounts of canned foods administered periodically in small amounts on a regular schedule every few hours. I think He will recover.

Hey Joe - just curious, does Slick have a white "diamond shape" in the fur on his chest???
Yep, he sure does. Just a small diamond of white hairs.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Little Slick update:

We got the call from the vet this evening. Little Slick has Feline Leukemia. :cry:
We no longer have the option of bringing him back to health. He can't survive and he'll only infect the others ... if they aren't already. Tomorrow or sometime very soon he'll take the last trip to the vet, God how I hate to do that.

So now we cry again. All our hopes smashed against the rocks of reality.

So long Little Slick, I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Joe
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: The pain of loosing pets - Update

Post by spaceman spiff »

So sorry, Joe........ :cry:

Your compassion for your cats is commendable.....

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When you bury him, thank the Good Lord for allowing you to know Little Slick. We are meant to care for all the animals of the earth. Some are to be hunted, some are to be raised for food, and others are to be treasured for their unique company and contribution to our mental health.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pillar,
I wish we could bury him. This is a rental property with little ground we can dig on. Sadly he'll go to the mortuary to be cremated.

Joe
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Sorry to hear this... I really thought he'd make it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Joe, i have a ton of feelings for my little friends too -my buddy Thomas (the Tom Cat) hangs out with me every night when i do my work , the only thing he expects in return is a modest pile of kitty cat treats -- a bargain for the smiles he gives me.
My wife has 3 others (and 4 dogs :shock: )

I am so sorry about little Slick ---

I'll say a quick and modest prayer to wish you and your wife strength in dealing with this ordeal
----- Doug
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

sorry about that Joe
Just thought about you while feeding our Kat...Roxy...shes an outdoor cat...
we lost two before her....one by a car and one due to old age...
its tough to loose'em
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:Little Slick update:

We got the call from the vet this evening. Little Slick has Feline Leukemia. :cry:
We no longer have the option of bringing him back to health. He can't survive and he'll only infect the others ... if they aren't already. Tomorrow or sometime very soon he'll take the last trip to the vet, God how I hate to do that.

So now we cry again. All our hopes smashed against the rocks of reality.

So long Little Slick, I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Joe
Joe, I've been there. Some years back before they could treat it, two of my cats came down with Feline immuno virus. No treatment, no vaccine. To protect my others I had to have them put down. It's hard when they don't seem really sick, but sometimes...

Hang in there buddy, you're doing the right thing for the right reasons, even if it hurts more than we want to admit.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Little Slicks last report.

We got him to the vet this morning at 10:00. He was so week he could barely stand. Nothing but a skeleton in a bag of black fur with two big sad yellow eyes. The vet took him out of the cage and he didn't even move. Then he started the injections. He could not find Slicks heart. As he poked around in the area poor little Slick did not even flinch or blink.
The vet commented that his heart was not where it was supposed to be.
Something way wrong besides the Feline Leukemia happened to the poor little guy. He finally gave up and went to the Rainbow Bridge to be with his brother and sisters.

My wife and I have made two pacts with ourselves:
First; no more kitties.
Second; No more heroic attempts to save those we have. If they come down sick with something sudden, strange and unexpected we do a F.L. test first. If it's positive, we let 'em go. Even if negative no heroics. If they can't survive with normal medication, then we let 'em go.

As it is now the vet suggested we bring our others in all at once for blood draw. They'll do a F.L. test on one and if it's negative then we're most likely in the clear. Save a bit of money that way. If positive then we'll have to check 'em all.

I've had cats since I was 5 years old, that's almost 54 years. But, like Ji told me one time; I'm tired of having pets I'll outlive.

Thanks for all the encouragement for Little Slick, we do appreciate it.
And to those who have helped otherwise, you know who you are, thank you very much.

Joe
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

sorry..
hang in there
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

Condolences on the loss. We've lost quite a few kittens here in the country... all to predators... have only lost adult cats to old age. Always tough to watch and deal with... but for the companionship they provide my wife, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry Joe, your deeds aren`t forgotten
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife and I have been wanting to leave IL, but what we'd like to move into is an older farm / ranch type two story house with a porch all the way around it. Screen off the porch and the kitties can run around on the porch all they way. Outside in the air, but safe.

We've been thinking about all the things the vet has said about Slick. The X-rays showed a massive something where his lungs should be. What ever caused it, his lungs were full of bloody mucus like fluid. His esophagus had been shoved up against his spine in the chest area and then today we find out his heart was not where it was supposed to be.
Adding things up I'm betting he was hit or clipped by a car or kicked by a human and injured. That will sometimes cause dormant Feline Leukemia to go into fully developed F.L.

With the exception of the older boy kitties and one older spaid female we keep them indoors anyway, but a house like I described above would be heaven for all of us.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Joe
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is tough. We lost two of our family this year. Blackie and Smokey. It is never easy or forgotten. The last while though we often laugh about all the family time those fur people, thats what my girls call them, added and the love they expressed every day.

Just when I was getting to big for my britches that old Tom would steal my lunch right out from under my nose!!

We'll be thinking about you and yours at supper prayer tonight.
Sheepman Dave
Levergunner

Post by Sheepman Dave »

Sorry to hear about Slick.

Been through it too many times myself.
The more corrupt a society, the more numerous its laws.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife and I were discussing things this morning and we realized we've never been able to keep an all black kitty more than a couple years. Neither of us. Kinda weird.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, they do help.

Joe
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Sorry to hear it. Since my cat passed in 1999 I have resisted getting another. If I could get one like her I would, but you take your chances and if you get a wacko you're stuck.

My mother was telling about some of her cats' woes today - one has diabetes and needs a shot every 12 hours. Another has a thyroid problem which might be fixed by a radioactive implant. Will it work? Isotope so. Until then, $35 worth of pills every two weeks. A previous cat developed a spinal problem and couldn't move her back legs. She had to drag herself around. Poor thing couldn't use the litterbox. We set her up in a cage with a mesh bottom so when she peed it would drop down into a tray. Still kind of nasty for her.

Joe, you ought to consider the kind of pet that stays behind glass. My frogs are not cuddly, but fascinating to watch. And low maintenance, now that the terrariums are up and running. A few fruit flies and you're done.

I have two frogs matured so far, and they have different personalities. One likes to hide, but the other one isn't afraid of anything. When he comes out of the water he wipes off his face with his hands. Also he likes to preen himself like a cat - stretching his legs and yawning. Inside his mouth is cotton-white and a wide, flat tongue.

I went into Petco and they have lots of interesting lizards as well. Even the standard anoles can be interesting. In high school I had some and they laid some eggs and hatched a few babies.

Anyway, I watch them every day and it does me a lot of good for very little expense or trouble.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo,

Have you ever watched the Disney movie "Tangled"? Rapunzel's pet is a chameleon named Pasquale. I think I'd like to have one of those.

Joe