New to the board

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
richerich
Levergunner

New to the board

Post by richerich »

Hello all I'm new here so I thought I would throw out a new post.

I have a Sears mod. 54 in .30-30. The gun is in good shape and a good shooter. The reciver is in need of a reblue, everything else is nice. I do know for what I have found out is, this is a Win. 94 with Sears name on it, and for that reason it not worth as much as a 94 same gun but whatever.

So Im going to try to do it myself. Any tips, tricks, and products for the best job would be of help. I have though of taking it to be nickel plated that would be cool too I realy like this idea! A friend has a gold spike thats has a brass look, I think nickel would be sweet. Would I have any isues on reasembly with the latter being done?

Can I strip it myself or is this a job for a gunsmith I have never taken one apart and have never taken a barrel off a rifle. I would like to do the work myself, but I read somewhere about 30-30 and head spacing so I'm unsure of myself with barrel removal.

Last I'm looking for a good gunsmith in the Akron, OH area Thanks for any info!
Rich
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to the board

Post by Rube Burrows »

Welcome to the site.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Welcome! I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along post haste.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

richerich,

Welcome to the forum.

Well, those Sears 94s are basically post-64 Win 94s with the scintered metal cast receiver. They will not take a normal hot blue like regular steel will. Winchester used a variety of methods to make them black or appear blued. Only the last several years worth around the late 70s early 80s turned out nice. Those were iron plated over the cast receiver then normally blued.

There is a company that claims they can properly chemically blue these receivers, but I can't remember who it is.

To do it yourself, well good luck. Personally I'd just shoot the darn thing and ignore the receiver. But that's just me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at a product called "Cerakote" - it might be a good solution for your situation.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
richerich
Levergunner

Post by richerich »

Thanks for the welcome mat fellas!

Being that it is made of pot metal :shock: can it be plated? I know its just a shooter and its good at that. But, I still have this thing about taking pretty guns into the woods. We can't deer hunt here in Ohio with rifles but the ferral hog population is growing and we can varmint hunt with any gun. A 30-30 might not be the first or best gun for groundhogs but dang it, its a lever. My Marlin 1894 is in .45 thats the ferral pig gun/CAS gun.

And just call me Rich thanks again.
Rich
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire. :D

My post 64 Winchester is case hardened.

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to the Forum. These are NOT "pot metal." and yes, they can be plated. Many of the commemoratives were so done. The only finish that can't be applied is a traditional hot blue, using blueing salts. That will turn the metal a plum color... too bright to be considered "browned."

Check with Classic Guns regarding refinishing. Remember... plating adds material so screw holes, mating surfaces etc will have to be protected from the plating process. My advice would be to deal only with an outfit that does guns primarily. A metal refinisher may do a very good job, but having to remove plating so screws, interior operating parts will fit & function can be tedious, time cosuming and detract from what might otherwise be a good looking gun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome to the forum. Duracoat is another option.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Welcome aboard. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:Welcome to the forum. Duracoat is another option.
Yep. Before you do anything, look at all the options... (the underlined ones below are links)

DuraCote, DuraBake, Cerama-cote, and several others. Some 'bake on' and some just spray on.

Some like CeraKote even come in fancy colors (you get a 'set' of paints and can do patterns or separate colors for separate pieces or whatever, bright or dim camos, earth tones, etc.). Look around and check Brownell's, MidwayUSA and others. CeraKote is a "Larson Tactical" product - http://www.larsontactical.com/id23.html

ALSO consider parkerizing; I've got a Marlin that I had parkerized years ago - the local 'smith charged $30 for that vs. $120 for bluing - evidently the process is easier, cheaper, or he just liked to do it better, or was wanting another gun to finish his 'batch' amount. Parkerizing actually looks kinda neat on a levergun, especially if it has an old-style oil/matte finish on the stock. Kind of a levergun-version of a Garand... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. Different strokes for different folks, but for me I wouldn't nickel plate it. I'd opt for case color hardening. That nickel plating in bright direct sunlight might be a rather large distraction.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the best forum on the web. enjoy the fire and the wealth of knowledge and friendships you will find here. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You can brown it too. Looks nice to me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome and good luck with your refinish,

and don't forget, we REALLY like pics around here. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome !! :wink:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome to the Clan, good bunch of Guys here.There Aint nuthin They don't know, just ask Them.
I once had an aftermkt Colt style 45 Govt frame nickeled. Turned out really nice with the Blue slide and I don't remember the Grips.I called it a Pimp Gun and sold it at a Sacto Gun Show.
Go for it and let Us know how it turned out. ""WITH PICS""
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
richerich
Levergunner

Post by richerich »

Well, I still haven't done anything with it as of yet. I have been working on new employment, that I did get and now working alot! So I haven't had time, I did pull em' all out and wipe em' down and put them away. I still like to look at my guns almost as much as shooting them! Me wifey thinks I'm Loco :o Ill post when I do choose on what Im gona do and pics! Thanks all!
Rich
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

check with Mike Hunter at hunterrestorations.com - and welcome!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've no criticism of a fellow who wants to try a little shade-tree gunsmithing, but I'd advise that if you're not 100% certain of the product you'll produce then leave the work to a professional. I'd rather see a fellow down a few bucks than down a few fingers or an eye.

I had one of my old sintered metal 94's powder-coated with a non-relflective black about 5 years ago. Every exposed metal surface.

So far not a chip or scratch on it. Not one.

If you think you'll like it plated, go for it. It's your gun. To "H" with anyone else's opinion.

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.