My new Lee Classic turret press arrived!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

My new Lee Classic turret press arrived!

Post by Topside »

Back in mid April, Pokey started a thread http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=34503
from which I learned a lot about this Lee press. Others were helpful giving info. on it which convinced me to go for one. Took me a good month to make up my mind to order, but I finally did from Natchez Shooters Supply.

The press and the .357 and .45 Colt dies and some turrets, and the auto primer gadget arrived yesterday. Got it all set up and have been loading some .45 Colt plinking ammo....200 gr. LRNFP over 6 gr. Trail Boss. Well this press is really great. Though I'd read a few reviews that the auto indexing didn't work perfectly or the primer gadget was tough to adjust, or the play in the turret caused concerns with seating depth consistency, I followed directions and I guess I got it set up right because I'm it's smooth as silk.

Can't think of any reason not to let go of my 35 year old friend, the Rockchucker press, and the RCBS dies as the Lee dies are very satisfactory.

Very happy with this press, the turret mechanism, and the Lee dies. Having only used a single stage before, this is a good upgrade for me, and I highly recommend the product. Good wkend to you guys.
T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My new Lee Classic turret press arrived!

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad you like it...
I like Lee dies too...they have served me just fine...
I like my rockchucker also...
my dillons not too shabby either...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You might want to keep the Rockchucker around just in case you have a bunch of military brass to swage primer pockets of, or some odds and ends like that.

Like you, I've "migrated" mostly to the Lee Turret though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Been loading on Lee Precision equipment for 30 years. Very happy with their stuff! :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

This is such an informative forum for me. I did not realize reloaders ever sold or replaced anything: I thought we just made additions. A big part of my loading is still done on the RCBS A2 press (pre-RockChucker for you young folks) even though I also have a turret and a progressive. And I still have every die I ever acquired including Lachmiller, Herters, Hollywood... getting close to antique status on some of those. You just never know when something will be needed.

Hmmm.... maybe that's part of the reason my loading bench and surrounding area is not exactly tidy... Oh well.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Lee Equipment is really great stuff. ESP the Lee Classic turret. This press can just about keep up with a
Dillon 550 and it even advances by itself. what more could a reloader want in a press.
For loading pistol rounds you will never need another press. Glad to hear you like it. :D :D :D :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

I didn't buy the auto pro auto disc powder measure, but after dumping powder through the expander die by hand, I think I'm already ready for it.

Everybody who uses it recommend it? i only load straight walled cases.
T.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Topside. What kind of ammo are you loading with the press?
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Glad you like the Lee, my advice is to keep the Rockchucker too. My old Rockchucker was "shared" with my loading partner, who when we divied up the gear when his office closed got that press. I had two other single stage presses and just bought a new Rockchucker because the others just don't feel right or work as well. A Rockchucker press is kinda like an 870 shotgun, I won't not have one.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

win38-55 wrote:Topside. What kind of ammo are you loading with the press?
Loading .45 Colt, 45 ACP, and .357/.38.

T.
Last edited by Topside on Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Topside wrote:Back in mid April, Pokey started a thread http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=34503
Very happy with this press
cool 8) :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Topside wrote:I didn't buy the auto pro auto disc powder measure, but after dumping powder through the expander die by hand, I think I'm already ready for it.
I have one and love it. Very reproducible due to the disc design. I did get a 'kit' to do double-stack disks, which helps for larger rifle cases, as well as allows finer-tuning the settings by using two smaller apertures vs. one large one. The "pro" design if I recall is better than the regular disc one, though I forget why :oops: - I think part of it was the durability of the screws you use to hold it together after disc swaps.

The 'chart' of powder charges it comes with is sort of a 'get you on paper' thing - like any other measure, actual thrown weight will depend on the batch of powder, your 'technique' (not as much as with my stand-alone RCBS measure, though), and so on. Just put the powder you plan to use in it, throw ten charges into a scale-pan, and write it down with a decimal-place-shift, and repeat the process for various combinations of discs bracketing your frequently used loads. Do it for each of your favorite powders, and viola - you have your own chart you can use for your powders, the discs you commonly use, etc.. The only negatives I've heard aside from the knee-jerk 'Lee-bashers' :roll: is that really fine ball powders can slither out between the discs unless you take special care with putting them in and I think some folks even use graphite or wax paper or some other method to deal with it. I've never had that problem using IMR 4831, SR-4759, 2400, AA-5744, or Trail Boss.

The shut-off collar is nice, but when you're metering loads for calibrating your custom chart, or reloading, there will be some powder in the 'neck' after you turn the collar, so throw a couple 'charges' after doing that, and put them back in the hopper.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

AJMD429 wrote:
Topside wrote:I didn't buy the auto pro auto disc powder measure, but after dumping powder through the expander die by hand, I think I'm already ready for it.

The shut-off collar is nice, but when you're metering loads for calibrating your custom chart, or reloading, there will be some powder in the 'neck' after you turn the collar, so throw a couple 'charges' after doing that, and put them back in the hopper.
Thanks AJMD429 and everybody for your replies.
T.
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Post by Dirty Bob »

You could use the ol' Rockchucker as a decapping press, with a universal decapper in it. I like to decap, then clean, then resize. With the used primer out, I think I can better inspect the cases -- including the primer pocket and flash hole -- before reloading.

Just a thought,
Dirty Bob
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Dirty Bob wrote:You could use the ol' Rockchucker as a decapping press, with a universal decapper in it. I like to decap, then clean, then resize. With the used primer out, I think I can better inspect the cases -- including the primer pocket and flash hole -- before reloading.

Just a thought,
Dirty Bob
Yeah Bob, I have been doing just that. Been depriming, then giving the cases an ultrasonic bath, then gone on with the other steps when I had only the Rockchucker. I may do as you suggest especially with the .45 Colt brass.
T.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck wrote:This is such an informative forum for me. I did not realize reloaders ever sold or replaced anything: I thought we just made additions. A big part of my loading is still done on the RCBS A2 press (pre-RockChucker for you young folks) even though I also have a turret and a progressive. And I still have every die I ever acquired including Lachmiller, Herters, Hollywood... getting close to antique status on some of those. You just never know when something will be needed.

Hmmm.... maybe that's part of the reason my loading bench and surrounding area is not exactly tidy... Oh well.
Get rid of, sell, replace reloading equipment ..... EeeeeeeKKKK!!!!
I've still got my first Lee Loaders. Lets see, I've got 5 bench mounted presses, 1 hand press, 2 Lee Loaders, no idea of how many sets of dies and accessories.
And, I have my eyes on some antique presses and goodies I'd already own if'n I had the funds.
A tidy reloading bench is the sign of a sick mind :wink: :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Get rid of, sell, replace reloading equipment ..... EeeeeeeKKKK!!!!
I've still got my first Lee Loaders. Lets see, I've got 5 bench mounted presses, 1 hand press, 2 Lee Loaders, no idea of how many sets of dies and accessories.
And, I have my eyes on some antique presses and goodies I'd already own if'n I had the funds.
You might have the funds if you sold the stuff you no longer used...!

Maybe if you had a big enough 'garage sale' you could fund a move out of anti-gun Illinois. 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:A tidy reloading bench is the sign of a sick mind :wink: :lol:
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:Get rid of, sell, replace reloading equipment ..... EeeeeeeKKKK!!!!
You might have the funds if you sold the stuff you no longer used...!

Maybe if you had a big enough 'garage sale' you could fund a move out of anti-gun Illinois. 8)
Yeah, and when I got where I was going I'd have nothing to load my ammo with. Unacceptable choice.

Now, as for the garage sale, 85% of the stuff in that garage belongs to my wife. Do you want to come to my funeral?

Besides, if I ever get my loading bench set up the way I want it, I'll have all 5 of those presses up and running. :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Besides, if I ever get my loading bench set up the way I want it, I'll have all 5 of those presses up and running. :D

Joe
I had all last wk. to get my bench in order. Here's how it looked when I finished. I must have some slob genes.
T.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:
J Miller wrote:A tidy reloading bench is the sign of a sick mind :wink: :lol:
+1
I must be pretty sick. This is mine - while I was using it. Drives me nuts if my bench gets messy. A messy bench just encourages people to leave things on it. I even went so far as to paint it a few weeks ago!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've never been lucky enough to have a dedicated loading bench. My bench has always been a do everything bench. Loading, gunsmithing, fix-it bench, desk, catch all, you name it. So getting it cleaned off is almost impossible, and keeping it clean ... is.
Someday I will have enough room for a dedicated loading bench and a work bench and that will change. For now :roll:

Joe