OT Any recipes for goat meat?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

OT Any recipes for goat meat?

Post by piller »

A friend has a few goats out on their place, and one of the goats has become rather destructive. They have asked me to come out on my day off and kill it and butcher it. Now I just need a few recipes for how to cook it. I was considering putting some steaks and soaking them in 7up or Sprite overnight and barbecuing them. Anyone have any ideas for me? I would appreciate it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT Any recipes for goat meat?

Post by Blaine »

Personally, I'd think crock pot...I've found goat to be a little tough and stringy. The Mexican place down the road makes a wonderful stew....Chopped in small pieces for a stir-fry would be good.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I would say Low and Slow,seasoned well and some smokiness couldnt hurt.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Hmmm...the last time I ate goat was back in the late 90's while spending some time in Egypt. It was tough, stringy, and not all that pleasing. But when in Rome.....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A guy I go to church with grinds his up and makes sausage from his. He says it's kind of like turkey sausage.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had it at an Italian restaurant a few months ago. Slow braised, in white wine, tomatoes, onions, and thyme. Once it was cooked down to a tender, stringy, "ragu" it was tossed with fresh gnochi. Mighty tasty.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Soak it in salt water for a day, then whole milk for day then apple cider vinegar for 3 days refrigerated. Cube into small pieces. Boil a bullion broth and while boiling, add the meat for 2 minutes without washing off vinegar. Strain out meat after two minutes. Put 3 tbls olive oil, melted butter 1/4 cup, salt to taste in saucepan and heat. Cut yellow onions and mushrooms into 8 pieces a piece (enough to equal about 1 pound) adn add to saucepan. Cook while stirring slowly for 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook 5 minutes on medium flame. Chop 10 parsely sprigs and 4 cloves of garlic and one tbsp of bay leaves. Add and cook 5 more minutes. Add 1/2 cup of dry white wine or 1 cup of flavored cooking wine and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Add one full cup of water and simmer for 2 hours. Look every 20 minutes. If the water level looks low, bring back up. This depends on the type of saucepan and cover you use. If you like it, you can add two heaping tbsp of heavy cream or flavored cooking cream during the last 5 minutes.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

goats aint for eat'n

there for milk'n, then mak'n cheese.....yuk

and cutt'n the grass... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I've had it slow-cooked after a couple of days on a side-box smoker and it was exceptional.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

You might want to try a Matanza. This is a traditional New Mexico feast that has it's origins in Spain and Mexico. Usually it is a pig roast, but I have seen it done with goat also. Takes some time, but it's a great way to party! You need to dig a pit in the ground large and deep enough to bury the goat, and have plenty of room for a deep bed of hot coals. Fill it with wood and burn it down until you have a deep bed of coals - takes a bit of wood! While that is happening, butcher the goat and wrap the portions in foil and wet burlap. Place bundles of meat on top of coals and cover with a sheet of metal roofing or such. Cover well with dirt, let it cook over night. The meat will be falling off the bone and very tender.

There are variations on the theme, but that's the basic idea!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

If you want to cook it outside on a grill, here is a method that I have used. Quarter it and season as you would deer meat (for me salt and pepper). While you doing that, start cooking a few quartered chickens (seasoned and skin on) on the grill. Once the goat is ready and the chicken is partially cooked, put about 1/2 of a chicken with each quarter of goat. Wrap them with numerous (about four) layers of heavy duty tin foil and place on the grill. Slow cook for about three to four hours (the time depends on the size of the goat). The chicken pieces keep the goat meat moist. Once the goat meat starts falling off of the bone - it is ready.

Options are: Searing the goat meat before you wrap it. If it is an old goat, you can soak it in ice water overnight before cooking. Pork can be substituted for the chicken, but I would only use wild hog for my taste. Either Sprite or Milk is a good method of tenderizing, but I would not think trying to make steaks would work. Think of deer meat when you are making your decisions.

I have cooked goat with the chicken/tin foil method and have had people make fools of themselves when they ate it - in a good way. :D
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Do as Joe directs :)

The Mexicans like cabritto as a traditional Christmas meal - but this is kid - not goat... it is very tasty. A local trailer vendor has it year-round for his tacos.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Goat Shoulder Stew:
SIMMER covered, in beer. Some onion, garlic, but very little salt. Crock pot would work. DON'T BOIL. 3-4 hours, until it is falling apart. Drain liquid to cool and skim fat off. Use the deboned meat with your favorite vegetables with the defatted stock to make stew. Use noodles or rice if you haven't already used potatoes, or add all three if you want.

EDIT: Left out that comma. It doesn't need to be completely immersed, just about 1/3 to 1/2 way. Usually one bottle is enough when I use this method, called braising, in a 2 1/2 quart saucepan.
Last edited by markinalpine on Tue May 17, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Very popular here in Detroit. Barbecue very slowly, finish with bbq sauce. There's them that parboil it first.

Fresh coleslaw, ice-cold beer are traditional accompaniments.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

What ever you do, dont try to cook it on a coleman stove in the aisle of a airliner. We lost a L 10-11 that way that was waiting for takeoff hauling some arabs to mecca!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm not a fan of goat, or anything els that takes so much time and effort to make it edible. And goat is barely edible, even after all the effort. I think I'd grind it up and make sausage of it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:I'm not a fan of goat, or anything else that takes so much time and effort to make it edible. And goat is barely edible, even after all the effort. I think I'd grind it up and make sausage of it.
What kind of goats...?

If these are domestic goats, they are far from 'barely edible', and are easy to cook without 'effort' to make great steak, roast, stew, or various ground-meat 'treats'. As to specific recipes, I'd have to ask the wife, but generally, we eat most meat (goat, deer, turkey, chicken, pig) without much done to it, so we can appreciate the flavor of the meat rather than too much sage and so on, like when folks take perfectly good game meat and make sausage with it.

Now the meat I wonder about in the "takes so much time and effort to make it edible" department is goose; how does one make that meat anything other than rubbery-gristle...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

I had BBQ goat one time only, and it was delicious!

I asked the old gentleman that brought the meat how he had fixed it, and he said "we parboiled it! then bar-b-que'd it" (emphasis his)

Don't know if he parboiled it for 3 days or 3 hours, but it was tender.

No kidding, it was a BBQ to remember.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

AJMD429 said
Now the meat I wonder about in the "takes so much time and effort to make it edible" department is goose; how does one make that meat anything other than rubbery-gristle...?
It still takes time but....Soak for 12 hours in brine..Boil it 12 hours in water along with a red building brick.. Throw out the water and goose & eat the brick!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

We used to eat goat all the time on Maui, very plentiful, and no closed season. I never targeted dominant trophy billies which are notorious for being tough, and stinky (they pee in themselves to smell "macho"). We'd target nannies or young billies, and handled them the same way we handle deer, no special treatment or soakings necessary. Big billy different story though. My favorites were goat chili, and goat curry. Also goat teriyaki was always a favorite cooked over kiawe wood fire. Lamb taste like lamb, venison like venison, goat tastes like goat. Not bad at all just a tad different like the rest especially for those just used to eating beef all the time. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Put two steaks on BBQ.

One goat.

One beef.

When done, discard the goat and eat the beef! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Dad's Stew

Measures are approximate.

NOTE: If you start with tough meat, that's the way it will stay. If using beef, “budget” rump from Coles is the way to go. Forget about gravy beef etc., only good for dog food.

750g of diced up meat, beef, lamb, whatever
3-4 brown onions, sliced

Brown the meat in preheated oil, canola is good, brown DON'T try and cook the meat, remember, you are just sealing the meat. Put the meat onto a plate.

Heat up some more oil, toss in the onion, cook until translucent.

While the meat and onions are browning, ¾ fill a cup with gravy powder. Use juice from a tin of tomatoes(400g) and mix it into the powdered gravy to make a thick paste.

Put the meat into the pot with the onions, stir in the gravy paste, combine with a wooden spoon.

Add the tomatoes, mush them up, keep back the juice otherwise there will be too much liquid.

Add chopped up carrot and celery. A tin of mushrooms can be added if you like them.

Two spoons of Worcestershire sauce, two of soy and a slurp of tomato sauce, salt and pepper.

If you want, a desert spoon of curry powder can be added.

The stew will make more liquid as it cooks.

Simmer, stirring regularly, for NO more than two hours with the lid on the pot. Any longer and the meat goes tough.

DON'T let the stew stick to the bottom of the pot, otherwise it's dog food and not very good dog food at that.

A tin of drained or frozen peas can be added towards the end.

You will probably need to adjust the liquid to suite. Scoop the liquid off the stew and mix in some gravy powder until you have it the way you want.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The goat I have eaten was handled and cooked just like venison and tasted a lot like deer, but then the goats were fat on acorns.

Watched a couple of Cherokees butcher two goats one time, (don't read this if you're squeamish). They baling wired the hind legs to a single tree and pulled the live goat up in a tree. They dipped a couple of buckets of cold spring water and set them near then began to pull the goats hide loose from the goat, all over. The goat protested loudly! Then, they cut the skin inside the flanks and poured the cold water in the goat skin bag with the goat. Only then did they cut the goats throat and let it bleed out. They said this kept the flavor from the hide out of the meat. Must of worked since I ate a lot of it and it was very good. Young wethers fat on acorns so it was very tender. I'm not recommending this goat torture, just relating the story.

This occurred during Oklahoma's first deer season, circa '54.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Mr. Wright makes the point. In my experience, you cook same as venison and can expect the same results.
If the goat is older and an uncastrated male (as I suspect), the meat will be like that ancient, trophy buck during the rut....hardly worth chewing on, and no amount of fancy carbernet sauvignon will wash it down :mrgreen: . Young goat, doe or castrated male, has a much finer texture and taste, like a younger whitetail.
You can always make goat burger and use for chili and sauce. You can also cook up the burger to mix with your dog's food. Or, you can drag the carcass to the back forty for the buzzards.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

This goat ia a Boer goat, 2 years old, uncastrated male. He has just lately started putting his nose under the fence and getting out. My friend's wife is wanting the goat gone. He tears up too much stuff just playing and butting things. As far as what he eats, grass, hay, and any tree leaves he can get ahold of. He has broken several saplings just to eat the tops. They have a smoker, and it sounds like brining, wrapping in foil with some onions and apple cider vinegar and slow cooking for 3 to 4 hours might be a good way for now. My wife is the one who will be cooking it and she probably won't get too creative. I am keeping these recipe ideas for when I have a day off to cook it.
D. Brian Casady
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

If its not worth eating you could donate it to the local FFA or 4H club for some kid
who cant afford a project...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Buck goats, castrated or not, can be a pain in the butt...like boys of all species. They are what they are, and I'll not keep one again. Does, on the other hand, are great fun to have around. I've had a couple that would walk around with us in the woods, just like a dog. If you can't find him a home, and he has to be shot, it won't hurt to try some slow cooking recipes. Good luck.....full report requested.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ended up soaking the meat overnight in 7up. We put it in foil with onion and apples. Sealed the foil well and cooked it for 3 hours, opened the foil and let some mesquite smoke get on it. After taking it off the grill, I chopped it up the way some places do for a barbecue sandwich. We then put some KC Masterpiece sauce on it and chowed down. Everyone liked it. The apples and onion tasted disgusting. I think they absorbed the gamey taste. The meat was good. I did find out why goats pee on themselves. They have multiple outlets at the base of the penis for letting the urine go in multiple directions. I happened to see that while skinning and dressing the goat.
D. Brian Casady
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

RIHMFIRE wrote:goats aint for eat'n

there for milk'n, then mak'n cheese.....yuk

and cutt'n the grass... :wink:
Goat is the most widely consumed meat in the world.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

jerry b wrote:Buck goats, castrated or not, can be a pain in the butt...like boys of all species. They are what they are, and I'll not keep one again. Does, on the other hand, are great fun to have around. I've had a couple that would walk around with us in the woods, just like a dog. If you can't find him a home, and he has to be shot, it won't hurt to try some slow cooking recipes. Good luck.....full report requested.

I have 26 goats and have not found bucks to be especially troublesome even the ones with horns. It is desirable to disbud young males not to be used for breeding as the scent glands are commonly removed along with the horn buds. Male kids don't smell any different than female kids but after about six months the hormones kick in and you don't want to come in contact with them.