One Hunter Dead, 2 Others Missing In N.J.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Guys, make sure your careful when going out. I know there is some serious winter weather hitting parts of the US right now. We dont need headlines like this so take care, dress in layers, carry extra gear and tell someone where your going and when you plan to come home. You duck hunters need to make sure you have some kind of flotation device on cause you will be extra heavy dressed in your winter clothing.

FAIRFIELD (CBS 3) ― The U.S. Coast Guard has joined New Jersey State Police in the search for a group of hunters who went missing over the weekend.

Authorities said Jerry Piorkowski, Joseph Karamuz, an E.R. doctor at Holy Redeemer Hospital in Pennsylvania, and Janusz Toryfter were reported missing Sunday after they did not return home from a Cumberland County hunting trip Saturday evening.

Officials believed the men went out on a 12-foot boat to go goose hunting near Husted-Bateman Road in Fairfield. After a day of searching, troopers spotted an overturned boat in the water and one person nearby.

The unidentified man was transported to Cape May Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

State Police and a Coast Guard helicopter are continuing their search for the two remaining hunters.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Boating accidents are far too common. Mix in guns and the need for care and attention are exponentially increased. Prayers up for their families and friends.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just seen that on the local news. It happened across the Delaware river about 30 miles from me. The news video showed a small boat in a canal and the canal was about 100 feet across. Seems a little weird those guys could not swim that short distance.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Sixgun, I am a retired Coastie and worked on far too many cases of hunter deaths, espically in Alaska. People really dont realize that once you put thermals on, than your other layers, you are nothing more than an anchor once you get wet. We ran survival classes in Alaska for hunters and fishermen and anyone else that wanted free training. You wouldnt believe how fast you sink once your rubber boots fill up and all your clothes absorb water. Sometimes a regular life jacket wouldnt keep them afloat. I wasnt there so all I can do is second guess, but, I dont know of any 12 foot boat that would hold 3 men, in winter clothing with their hunting gear.

Sixgun, how cold is it there? Another thing that hits fast and is a first rate killer is hypothermia. At work I used to have a chart showing how many minutes until you passed out depending on the temp of the water. It is fast, you wont make it but a few minutes in cold water.

We all need to be careful when we are out there.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

That is awful news, my heart goes out to the families!
Pete 22
Levergunner

Post by Pete 22 »

45-70 is right on.

You get multiple layers of clothing, boots, etc., wet and even the best swimmers quickly tire.......plus we had a big blow kick up this past Sunday. I'm sure that was the main reason for the capsize. My condolences to the families involved...sad.

Pete 22
Those who would sacrifice freedom for tempory security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yup... and jumping in the water in temps like this makes it feel like someone's standing on your chest. Hard to swim when you can't even breath.
Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[That is awful news, my heart goes out to the families!] +1 :cry:
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Sixgun wrote:Just seen that on the local news. It happened across the Delaware river about 30 miles from me. The news video showed a small boat in a canal and the canal was about 100 feet across. Seems a little weird those guys could not swim that short distance.----------Sixgun
If you fall in and get your chest-waders full of water, you ain't going anywhere but down. I imagine these guys were fully dressed in such.

When I was a kid, had a family acquaintance wearing them fall off the back of a boat underway on the Brazos River. He went down quick and never came back up alive.

scott
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

When I was a small kid in wisconsin my mother ran a old country store at auroaville during the war. Right across the road from the store is a mill pond. There is a artesian spring there that they made a watering tank for horse teams years ago with a stone arch over it. I was playing on top the arch and fell in the tank. I remember just laying under water in shock, and this hand comeing down and yanking me out. This was just after the war and my dad had come home and happened to be pumping gas for somebody out of our pump, just across the road. That water was ice cold, if the war went on another couple months I might not be here!
In the early 60s I worked for the state conservation dept and part of my job was with fish research for the state biologist. We stream shocked the creeks for fish research etc. When we wore waders we would carry a knife on us usualy around our necks to cut them off if we stepped in a deep hole or whatever.
Another time as a 13 year old right at the end of winter I fell out of a skiff near shore just as the ice was breaking up. That water was ice cold and while I ran cross country a half mile to the house my cloths froze.
I fell completely in, was wearing a old bomber military coat and that was the only area I was dry.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

45-70 and the rest of you fine dudes,
Yep, its cold here. I never did realize that you can go down fast with a mess of clothes on. Probably because I never tried it! In all the commotion, instead of dropping everything and trying to save their lives, the guys probably thought they could get back on the boat or maybe tried to get their guns, etc.

What a waste of life---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

Never been so cold in my life as in Cape May in the winter.
I hope they find survivors, but .............................