Ruger BH Hunter vs. Bisley Hunter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger BH Hunter vs. Bisley Hunter

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Folks,

I'm going to order one of these and am trying to figure out which grip is better. I've tried both and have been gravitating towards the bisley as I have large hands. Are there any potential problems with either one? Which is better with heavy recoil?

Thanks!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger BH Hunter vs. Bisley Hunter

Post by piller »

I personally like the Bisley grip, but it really comes down to personal preference.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I prefer the Bisley grip too. Many say the Bisley grip handles heavy recoil better. 1886.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have a .44 mag Hunter that has been shot plently - no problemo with stout loads. This gun shoots nice one handed too.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had never been able to shoot a SA worth beans till I shot a Bisley. My real love is a S&W DA but a Ruger Bisley is a close second.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Well, I don't have either, but... I do have a 7 1/2" blue Super with an SSK (JD Jones) TSOB 3 ring scope mount and a 2x Leupold on it with standard Ruger rosewood grips. It is comfortable to shoot with fairly stout 300gr XTP loads. At different times over the past 20 years, I've had Pachmayr Presentation, Uncle Mike's, or Hogue finger groove grips on it, but last year went back to the standard wood grips.

I guess what I am saying is the regular SBH grip frame is comfortable and controllable for me, so I probably would not go for the Bisley style. Plus, I like the looks of it better.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've tried lots of grips, but none of the fancy ones for the 'regular' Blackhawk made them enjoyable to shoot. I was especially disappointed in the ones using a 'filler' between trigger-guard and grip, for they left even less grip to hang on to.

For the Super-Blackhawk, I made some essentially oversized (wood was in front of and behind the metal grips, and girth of grip thicker). They worked very well, and stopped the 'knuckle rap' despite there being less 'room' in front of the grip between it and the rear of the trigger-guard. I think it was because my hands are large but skinny, so there wasn't enough meat on my palms to prevent rearward travel from recoil before the gun 'rocked up' in the traditional SA style.

THEN I tried the Bisley, and if I liked to sell guns, I'd be selling a bunch of Rugers so I could replace them all with Bisley Rugers. Unfortunately, many of mine have seen rough use/abuse, and would not bring in enough to offset the pricier Bisley's cost. I have decided NOT to Bisley-ize any except the heavy-recoilers, so that must means a .45 Colt and a .44 Mag (I won't alter my original Super Blackhawk since I made those grips as a kid and they work and the gun has sentimental value so equipped). Bisley frames are ON ORDER...!

I shot some "+P" Cor-Bon .45 Colts one-handed last week in my 5-1/2" Bisley and it was more 'invigorating' than 'punishing' which would have been the usual impression with regular Ruger grips and those loads.

The only thing that's kept me from getting a 7-1/2" Bisley Ruger .44 Mag is that I want it in stainless, and don't want the 'rib' for scope mounting. I may find a used stainless one in that configuration sometime, or 'make' one if I find it not too hard to fit the Bisley grips to my others (they are all somewhat 'individual' it seems, from recent attempts to 'swap' grips between guns).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I think that the Hunter vs Bisley grip frame choice is an entirely personal preference.
I have both and prefer the Hunter grip frame.

Jack
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I had a SBHH in 45 Colt 7.5" bbl with regular grip and then I shot the Bisley of the same configuration. With heavy loads, for me the Bisley had less felt smack against my hand from the backstrap and resulted in less muzzle jump. I traded out the regular for the Bisley and much prefer it. I happend to have small to average sized hands.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I like the Bisley grip, so I have the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter and chose it specifically because I want the scope mounts to attach to the barrel to keep the scope up forward and out of the way of the hammer to make thumb-cocking it easier.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

AJMD429 wrote:I've tried lots of grips, but none of the fancy ones for the 'regular' Blackhawk made them enjoyable to shoot. I was especially disappointed in the ones using a 'filler' between trigger-guard and grip, for they left even less grip to hang on to.

For the Super-Blackhawk, I made some essentially oversized (wood was in front of and behind the metal grips, and girth of grip thicker). They worked very well, and stopped the 'knuckle rap' despite there being less 'room' in front of the grip between it and the rear of the trigger-guard. I think it was because my hands are large but skinny, so there wasn't enough meat on my palms to prevent rearward travel from recoil before the gun 'rocked up' in the traditional SA style.

THEN I tried the Bisley, and if I liked to sell guns, I'd be selling a bunch of Rugers so I could replace them all with Bisley Rugers. Unfortunately, many of mine have seen rough use/abuse, and would not bring in enough to offset the pricier Bisley's cost. I have decided NOT to Bisley-ize any except the heavy-recoilers, so that must means a .45 Colt and a .44 Mag (I won't alter my original Super Blackhawk since I made those grips as a kid and they work and the gun has sentimental value so equipped). Bisley frames are ON ORDER...!

I shot some "+P" Cor-Bon .45 Colts one-handed last week in my 5-1/2" Bisley and it was more 'invigorating' than 'punishing' which would have been the usual impression with regular Ruger grips and those loads.

The only thing that's kept me from getting a 7-1/2" Bisley Ruger .44 Mag is that I want it in stainless, and don't want the 'rib' for scope mounting. I may find a used stainless one in that configuration sometime, or 'make' one if I find it not too hard to fit the Bisley grips to my others (they are all somewhat 'individual' it seems, from recent attempts to 'swap' grips between guns).
For once I actually agree with you pa... I found the bisley grips pleasuring to shoot and easy to hang on to even with the +p 45 Colt loads. Fun stuff....
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

44magHunter wrote:For once I actually agree with you pa... I found the bisley grips pleasuring to shoot and easy to hang on to even with the +p 45 Colt loads. Fun stuff....
He's just "agreeing" with me because he's hoping I'll get him a Bisley for his birthday... :roll:

Well. . . . . .

Ahem... < is he logged off now...? >

Pssttt......

Shhhh......!

8)

8)

Now don't you guys say anything to 44MagHunter...

...but his birthday is coming up soon, and...

I found him a 10" Bisley...!

It was the last one, but I ordered it off this website - that's why it now says "none for sale" . . .

( CLICK on the picture below to see the full sized advertisement... )
Ten-inch Bisley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri May 20, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

AJMD429 wrote:..........I found him a 10" Bisley...![/size]...........
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I figured it was a Lipsey's Special or something - a "10" Bisley." :lol:

EDIT:
OK, I have regained my composure now.
What is REALLY funny is that I worked with a guy for eight years who always wanted him a Ruger "BEASLY!"
Couldn't get that guy to say BIIIIIZLEEEE to save myself.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The Bisley is a superior grip for hard recoil to me. I've had probably six SBH's in 44 mag in the past and everyone punished my hand when shot with original grips and high end loads. I had to put Pachmayr's on them to tame the recoil. Bisley's just roll in my hand and I have small hands. That's also the reason John Linebaugh would prefer building his boomers on Bisley's.
Old Law Dawg
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned a couple of the Bisleys, and quite a few Super Blackhawks. In stock form the Bisley is probably better for heavy recoil. I bought the first one I ever seen and had the barrel cut down to 4.75 inches. I used it hard and liked it pretty good for awhile, but one thing I had to do, shorty after I got it, was to swap out the Bisley hammer for a standard Super Blackhawk hammer. I did this so I could shoot it fast.

During recoil the Bisley grip would settle down in my hand a little, and I found I could not cock the hammer for a quick second shot and so on, with out repositioning the gun in my hand, which slowed me down a lot, but the Super Blackhawk hammer was taller and left room for the web of my shooting hand, and then I could cock the hammer with my off thumb and shoot quite quickly with heavy loads.

I eventually got away from the Bisleys, and went back to the Blackhawk and Super Black hawk grip, because I found that sometimes I found myself letting the Bisley trigger hold up the gun's weight by my trigger finger. It was just the way I gripped the gun, sometimes.

For heavy recoil, I have found that the old Herritt Shooting Star Grips, which were big, and filled in under the trigger guard, but also hung down below the frame, to be the best for heavy recoil on the Super Blackhawk, and the gun could be shot fast and accurate that way. As I have actually shot bowling pin matches, and turned in times, right up there with guys shooting 1911's and also double action revolvers, using a Super Blackhawk with a ported barrel and the big Shooting Star grips. However, these were casual side matches, and one reason I could do as well, was because for one I didn't miss, and the big 44 with jacked hollowpoints would always clear the pin off of the table, where the other guys would often have to shoot some of the pins more then once, and even have to reload, where I could clear the table of the 5 pins without reloading.

On the Ruger Hunter Model, used stricly for single slow fire, like hunting, in this case, I think I would buy the Bisley. But for the shorter and or lighter belt guns, I like the BlackHawk Grip, or the Super BlackHawk. My favorite Ruger Beltgun, is a blued Ruger 4-5/8 inch 44mag with the BlackHawk grip and standard Ruger Grips, but that is a different animal then the gun you want.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have med size hands but pretty wide. I find the Bisley grip much more comfortable then the standard grip which just feels small to me. Aside from what what said about John Linebaugh's preference (which is correct) you should keep in mind that the Ruger Bisley grip is very similar to Elmer Keith's #5 grip frame and not a true English Bisley grip at all. I figure Elmer would know what works. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lastmohecken wrote:I have owned a couple of the Bisleys, and quite a few Super Blackhawks. In stock form the Bisley is probably better for heavy recoil. I bought the first one I ever seen and had the barrel cut down to 4.75 inches. I used it hard and liked it pretty good for awhile, but one thing I had to do, shorty after I got it, was to swap out the Bisley hammer for a standard Super Blackhawk hammer. I did this so I could shoot it fast.

During recoil the Bisley grip would settle down in my hand a little, and I found I could not cock the hammer for a quick second shot and so on, with out repositioning the gun in my hand, which slowed me down a lot, but the Super Blackhawk hammer was taller and left room for the web of my shooting hand, and then I could cock the hammer with my off thumb and shoot quite quickly with heavy loads.
Since winter is a good time to resurrect 'old threads' I figured I'd add the comment that I agree...my Ideal Single-Action Revolver would be a Bisley grip, Super Blackhawk hammer, and caliber beginning with either a '4' or a '5'...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My "ideal" grip happens to be on my S&W 629PP :wink:
Although, my smaller framed Single Six, and Blackhawk 50th fit me very well indeed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I own both the Hunter .44 mag and the Bisley Hunter .44 mag.
As you know. Hunter plow handle grip frames have a longer grip than the regular BlackHawk grip frame
And give a better handfull than the BlackHawk. That said, I like both but shoot the Bisley best. You may not have the same experience and I suggest trying both if possible.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bisley.

My Casull was a Bisley. My coworker's Casull had Pacmyers.

I still have skin on my palm... even firing 1200ftlb loads. He doesn't. Nuff said.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

For me, the Bisley is preferred for the hard kickers. But I hesitate to make a recommendation to others because, frankly, even with my preference I could get by fine with the regular BH grip.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Ironsights wrote:Bisley.

My Casull was a Bisley. My coworker's Casull had Pacmyers.

I still have skin on my palm... even firing 1200ftlb loads. He doesn't. Nuff said.
Yep, I tried a set of Pacmyers on a Super Blackhawk one time, and they were terrible. I couldn't handle that rubber tire spinning in my hands, worst grips I ever tried on a singleaction.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

On singleaction grips, I have found that I get the most satisfaction with Sandbar Stag grips with a fair amount of bark on them, because they allow some braking of the roll on the pistol during recoil, but still allow the harder kickers to roll some. The only down side I run into is top quality Sandbar Stags cost darn near as much as the pistol, usually. My second choice is Elk Grips with plenty of Bark, but I find the elks to be a little slipperier then I like sometimes especially if my hands are damp. I have noticed this while hunting in rainy conditions, but the good thing about elk grips is they can be found at much cheaper prices, with the average being around $180.00, where it's not uncommon to see the Sandbars (a really good set) going for $450, or close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Sorry, I didn't mean to side rail the OP's question. I did at one time own a Hunter Super BlackHawk, not the Bisley Hunter, and I found the gun to be very comfortable to shoot with the factory green Laminated grips that came on it. It had enough weight out front to really tame it down, but I found it to be pretty heavy and I just didn't use it much, and after it sat in the safe for a couple of years, unmolested, I decided I wanted my money in a different gun, got bored, etc. so I sold it.

I recently purchased a regular 7.5" Super BlackHawk with the square trigger guard, and I believe I will keep it for the times when I want something longer in 44 mag, and it will get a pair of Sandbar Stags, because I have had that set up before and know it works for me. I will settle for a little more recoil and lighter weight then the Hunter.

Personally, I don't really think it makes a lot of difference on the heavier Hunter, which way you go, I would just try to pick up one of each and handle them before I made the buy. However, in this case I might lean towards the Bisley. It would probably be my choice for a serious dedicated Hunting handgun, in .44 if I went Ruger.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like the Hunter design. But as mentioned, its a matter of personal preference. You need to shoot both to decide.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad