Polishing a Henry finish (and others)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Polishing a Henry finish (and others)

Post by quietman »

Here's a write up I did on polishing a finish. I only do it on rifles with a really nice grain pattern. Did this on my Henry frontier and my deluxe walnut stock on my 338MX (pics of both in the link)

Standard marlin finish won't polish well as the finish is too thin, but the stocks on the deluxe versions look incredible afterwards

You can read it here:
http://www.henryfirearms.org/henrybb/vi ... ?f=15&t=60
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Polishing a Henry finish (and others)

Post by AJMD429 »

Amazing effect from the polishing!

Since you posted a picture of a Marlin stock, you shouldn't only post it on the Henry site - post it here... :wink:

Thanks for sharing, anyhow.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

The first pic in the post is the Frontier after polishing. I don't have any before pics of it like I do for the Marlin though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok Doc, since you asked: :P

Quietman,

Did ya do ANYTHING besides polish? Seems like a color shift. That's really nice figure. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Griff wrote: Quietman,

Did ya do ANYTHING besides polish? Seems like a color shift. That's really nice figure. :mrgreen:
Just put a coat of Carnauba wax on it. The color shift is caused by the eliminating the diffusion of the light with the satin finish. The sating finish made the entire stock look darker and more brown.

The Henry wasn't as drastic, but the same thing happened to it.

Also, before the Henry was polished you could barely make out the "tiger striping " in the walnut. Now it stands out. In the sunlight the striping changes like a hologram as the angle of the sunlight changes. Makes for a really cool effect.