Any Reason Not To Get a Henry?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Any Reason Not To Get a Henry?

Post by wavetrain75 »

Friend of mine wants a .357 lever, the only one available in town is a Henry. I told him far as I know they're a good rifle, but thought I'd run it by you guys. Occasionally you'll see a Marlin 1894 but they're usually gone as soon as the shop gets them. He wants to buy it locally so no internet sale.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any Reason Not To Get a Henry?

Post by Rusty »

Some people don't like the tube feed, but if that doesn't bother you it's great American made rifle with customer service that's second to none. I have a .22 mag on the way now and I'm looking hard at a .30-30.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have the .22lr and it is a great rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have 2 Henry's, a large loop lever carbine in .22lr and an acu-bolt in .17hmr and like them both. I shoot the .22 almost every day. Henry's service is great, when I first got the .17hmr it did not eject properly so I called Henry. They sent a prepaid UPS label, I sent it back and the day after they received it they sent a complete new replacement rifle to me and this one works fine. And they apologized profusely for my incovenience. Try that with some other brands and see what happens. I don't have a big boy in .357 but I have shot one and it was sweet. They are a little heavy but all in all very nice. Brass looked good also. God Bless. :D :D
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have 2 Henry's, a large loop lever carbine in .22lr and an acu-bolt in .17hmr and like them both. I shoot the .22 almost every day. Henry's service is great, when I first got the .17hmr it did not eject properly so I called Henry. They sent a prepaid UPS label, I sent it back and the day after they received it they sent a complete new replacement rifle to me and this one works fine. And they apologized profusely for my incovenience. Try that with some other brands and see what happens. I don't have a big boy in .357 but I have shot one and it was sweet. They are a little heavy but all in all very nice. Brass looked good also. God Bless. :D :D
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

They are reliable rifles with a great warranty and service. The only negative I can think of is the 357 Big Boy is pushing 9 pounds in weight. :shock:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I know, function is beauty but to me the Henry is ugly. I'm just accustomed to looking at Winchesters I guess. 92s are beautiful.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The insides of the Henry is a copy of the Marlin. I've handled one in .45 Colt and even with the bigger bore it was excessively heavy. The .357 is going to be heavier.

I would hold out for a Marlin 1894. They are far more portable and better handling rifles.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

For the amount of money that your friend would pay for a 357 Henry off the shelf, he could have the local dealer order in a new 1894 Marlin.

I have a friend that has three Henry's, 357, 44, and 45. He loves them.

As Joe Miller said, they are heavy.

Personally, I much prefer the Marlin to the Henry.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

qualitiy American made rifle....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'd give my money to Henry before Marlin. The company standards, motto and committment to shooting sports in the US in bar none.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A question for your friend would be in order. "What's his intended use for it?"

If he's thinkin' he might, maybe, someday, could consider shootin' in a cowboy action match... I'd run for the hills and travel far further and wider lookin' for ANY other .357 rifle. IMO, even the troublesome Colt Lightning copies would be a better choice. At LEAST there you get some "cool" factor from their looks and different action.

If he knows he's going to eventually use it for cowboy action shootin', then get the Marlin, Rossi or one of the toggle links (1860 Henry, 1866 or 1873).

If he's going to use it for plinking or hunting and doesn't mind being seen carrying a downright ugly rifle... then ok, go for it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

The use of the name bothers me, they have no lineage to the old Henry that was incorporated into Winchester.
The guns are ugly, heavy, and plastic.
They will decrease in value unlike a Win or Marlin.
Think "mobile home".
But, there's a lot of folks that like them. These are reasons I don't want one.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A local dealer swears he has far more repair issues for the amount of Henry's sold than any other brand. I had one 357 magnum that shot fine, but showed some poor craftsmanship in the wood to metal fit.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Idahoser, what is plastic about a Henry Big Boy in .357? The receiver is brass and the barrel and lever are blued steel. Is it the follower that bugs you? Alot of firearms have them. Have you ever held or fired one? It shoots fine and the lever is very smooth. It is heavy and not as sleek as a 92 or 94 but to call it ugly seems a bit much compared to some other firearms that are truly unattractive. Just my 2 cents. I have an 1894 Marlin and like it, but the lever action is smoother on the Henry. Also that weight helps on recoil. God Bless.
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Idahoser, what is plastic about a Henry Big Boy in .357? The receiver is brass and the barrel and lever are blued steel. Is it the follower that bugs you? Alot of firearms have them. Have you ever held or fired one? It shoots fine and the lever is very smooth. It is heavy and not as sleek as a 92 or 94 but to call it ugly seems a bit much compared to some other firearms that are truly unattractive. Just my 2 cents. I have an 1894 Marlin and like it, but the lever action is smoother on the Henry. Also that weight helps on recoil. God Bless.
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I have a Golden boy .22 and an Octogan and Brass 30/30 and love them both although I am having trouble sighting with semi buckhorn sights anymore. I really want a .357 Big Boy too but I just bought a National Match M1A.

If ya want a quality rifle by a Henry, unfortunantly the new Marlins are junk.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

have a 22 mag in brass its real sweet, also a 357 GB it shoots better than any of my other levers, it fits me better also, is it my favorite ?
no cant say that, ill give that to my made in 1886 -- 73 winchester

ollogger