Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Range Report

Post by Beaker »

M14.jpg

Went to the range on Sunday with my new M14 and shot this group with it using 10 rounds of Federal FMJ 7.62X51mm 149 grain ball ammo. Distance was at 80 yards off the bench on a sandbag using the National Match peep sights. My aim point was about 7 inches higher as I have not yet zeroed in the sights. I think this is really good for me with my eyes. I cannot do near this well with my 30-30 with the semi buckhorn sights. One full square = 1 square inch.

What a cool fire arm 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report

Post by RIHMFIRE »

way to go...

i need to get to the rifle range and do the same...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, 8) shootin, nothin but fun :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I don't know about that particular FMJ ammo, but the general rule is that FMJ ammo is not as accurate as JSP or JHP ammo. When you get an opportunity you should try it with some good ammo.

Congrats on that rifle, aperture sights are great.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Do not really know what the expectation is for this sort of shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bj94 wrote:I don't know about that particular FMJ ammo, but the general rule is that FMJ ammo is not as accurate as JSP or JHP ammo.
I've always wondered WHY "hollow point" ammo is more accurate, or supposedly so. Sometimes the 'points' on them aren't even very uniform, vs. the FMJ's... :?: :?: :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Not bad at all! You might be pleasantly surprised what that gun would do with some match ammo.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Savage , I expect most people here on the forum would have no trouble putting all 10 rounds in the white while standing. For me though, I think this is really good and I am proud of this group. I cant wait until I get the M1A zeroed in and shoot it from a sled to check out its precision. :)

P.S. especially if you could see my groups with the semi buckhorn sights. I cant even get them to all fit on the computer scanner.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I remember reading Sierra literature about their hollow point MatchKing Bullets. The hollowpoint is designed to be there in order to assist in precice manufacturing processes. Once the bullet is in the box, its work has already been done. There is also hollow point hunting ammunition and bullets. These are designed for specific expantion characteristics. I have never noticed hollow point hunting rifle bullets to be any more accurate (in general) than soft point hunting rifle bullets.