Winchester Tong Tool

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester Tong Tool

Post by Marvin S »

I recently bought one in 25-20 and would like to know if anyone has or does use one. Mine had some light rust in the two bores which I honed out so they are clean now. The problem I have is that a sized round will not enter either cavity, I assume the cartridge should fully enter each one especially after being already sized. I cant even get the first part just after the shoulder to go by the extractor.

So anyone know what L is up with this thing and how to use it. I assume there was supposed to be a rod for decapping that is missing also. I did measure the bores of the tool and they are about .008 smaller than case drawings.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Tong Tool

Post by ollogger »

i have 1 in 32-20 i use all the time its a winchester
you said you sized the,case did you bell the case? if so that may hang it up, yep someone lost the decapping pin it also belled the case ,the other hole is for primeing hope you get it going its a fun tool
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I had one in 32-20 apparently designed for the holy black. It had no provision for crimp and a sized bullet would fit loosely in the case. As I use smokeless, the bullet would slip down inside the case. The deprimer diameter was smaller than the fired case inside diameter and the tool did not size the case at all.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You probably got one for .25-20 Singleshot, so it wont accept .25-20 WCF.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

marlinman93 wrote:You probably got one for .25-20 Singleshot, so it wont accept .25-20 WCF.
Suspect you may be right, I'll check the case measurements against the 25-20 SS.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Which 25-20 there were several Stevens, Winchester ect and al just a little different. If it is a S/S it will be a tad smaller than the 25 Winchester.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

From some case drawings I found it is a 25-20 SS. So it's pretty much an ornament for me.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

These tools were designed to be used with Winchesters bullet molds. It will crimp a bullet if the bullet used is from one of their molds. The decapping thingy is also used to bell the case mouth and is almost never found with the tools now. I made one for my 44 WCF and my 32 WCF tools. ( Always figured one day when I retire I'd machine out about 200 of these things and post them on ebay at a nominal cost to help people get these tools back in use.) By the way, the collectors call these decapping thingys either a "peanut" or an "acorn".
The main problem is that the tools are designed to seat a rounded bottom primer instead of the flat ones we use today. I solved that by degreasing the primer seat on the tool and putting a small dab of JB weld in it to make the primer seating stem flat. Let it cure and it wont deform the primer when you seat the primer home. If needed you can chip out the JB weld to return the tool to original specs.
If your 25-20 tool is for a 25-20SS it has more value than a 25 WCF tool. A lot of people collect these tools and some of the more obscure ones bring big bucks.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If I had the specs for the decapper/flair pin I have a CNC lathe and could make several. Guess I need to look for a trade in some caliber I could use like 25WCF 32WCF 38WCF 32-40 and 38-55. Thanks guys.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

KCSO wrote:Which 25-20 there were several Stevens, Winchester ect and al just a little different. If it is a S/S it will be a tad smaller than the 25 Winchester.
There were several other .25 caliber Stevens cartridges, but only one .25-20 Stevens, the SS. Others included the .25-21, .25-25, .25 Stevens RF, etc.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/