Savage 99 refinish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chainsaw
Levergunner

Savage 99 refinish

Post by chainsaw »

Hi all,I am knocking around the idea of refinishing my model 99.It has the blonde stock with the real hoakie pressed in style checkering.First thing i'd like to do is fix the checkering somehow.I even thought of maybe putting some sort of inlays in place of the checkering.What do you all think?What kind of finish should I put on it?I stained the stock already,i probably shouldn't have done that just yet,is there a way to get the stain off with out sanding it out?What kind of wood is it made of?It is very blonde with very little grain.
After all the work I plan on doing,is there a place to get new replacement stock and forearm for it?Just in case I screw up.
If you don't like loggers,wipe your hiney with a plastic bag.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 refinish

Post by M. M. Wright »

Boyd's lists replacement walnut stocks and fore-ends for your 99. Pretty cheap too. Should do wonders for the looks. Look up their web site and pick replacement stocks for Savage 99.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Chainsaw, That Savage sounds like what mine looks like and I have no intentions of changing it... It has a different appeal as apposed to the 3 other darker stocks on the other Savages....Crossed a creek on a log one time when it was 30 below zero and the strap hooked a branch and ripped. Before I could catch the rifle, it went in. I could see it and I decided it was coming out right then. I stripped off my hunting coat, jacket and shirt and pulled up the sleeve and reached in to almost the arm pit and got ahold of the strap and pulled it out.Then had to get dressed quick. Looking at the gun while I walked the last quarter mile home, it was purty under that clear frozen ice. I figured it would be full of water inside but when I took it apart, it was dry. Water had froze that quick... Never want to see a 1/2 inch of clear ice on it again either. I like it just the way it is.
"I stained the stock already,i probably shouldn't have done that just yet," "maybe putting some sort of inlays in place of the checkering" Maybe you just refurbish the checkering and get a light color to it or it isn't going to matter when putting in inlays.
Hope you get yours to where you will like it.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
chainsaw
Levergunner

Post by chainsaw »

What kind of wood are the blonde stocks made of?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

hi chainsaw I think the wood is birch, i had sum 99s that had the blonde wood, 1 had a nice curly mapel on it , you can sand the stain off if you didnt let it go to deep, had 1 that i took a torch after it, sold it to a lady that loved the wood , i may have 2nd thoughts on doing that again ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Birch, and they don't have much grain, even if you get it darker. I'd replace the stocks if you're refinishing to walnut. Then have the new wood professionally checkered.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
chainsaw
Levergunner

Post by chainsaw »

Yea,I think I am going to put new stocks on it just as soon as I go back to work.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Beech is less commonly used for rifle stocks than birch. But they're out there.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!