General Motors Hummers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

General Motors Hummers

Post by GonnePhishin »

Does anyone own or have any experience with the H3 or H2 Hummers?
Any information or impressions would be appreciated concerning: Reliability, maintenance, pros/cons, etc.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
chainsaw
Levergunner

Re: General Motors Hummers

Post by chainsaw »

I don't have any first hand experience,but I have heard they drink a lot of gasoline.
If you don't like loggers,wipe your hiney with a plastic bag.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

H3=Rebodied Suburban with worse handling.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pulled one out of the mud with my Jeep. :D

I thought they were kinda cool until I tried to get in one. I'm 6'2 /260# and was really uncomfortable.
But, everybody is different.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Heavy slow gas hogs that don't handle worth beans. The H3 is small inside for taller folks and the interior is cheap feeling for the amount of money you spend.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I kinda liked the H1s :wink: but the others, well.... AND they've been discontinued and the division killed off. I think I'd rather have an old Toyota Land Cruiser.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Hobie wrote:I kinda liked the H1s :wink: but the others, well.... AND they've been discontinued and the division killed off. I think I'd rather have an old Toyota Land Cruiser.
+1
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I guess anything that weighs around 5000 lbs(or more) would need frequent refueling, but am surprised at the negative comments so far. I was under the impression that they were pretty good as far as reliability, but impressions can be wrong since I don't know anyone who owns one.
I was kind of thinking about buying a used one since 2005-2006's are now going for $20k or less.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As Hobbie said, the H1's are a great vehicle. But, for any type of off roading in tight terrain, they are sorta wide. The 2's and 3's don't have near the capability, and as stated, cost way too much. The Jeep Unlimited is a much better vehicle. As much as I don't like the look, the 4 door versions are pretty family friendly.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

H2 based on Blazer chassis, H3 based on Tahoe chassis. Image Refined junk. And I've pretty much liked all Chevy offerings. I can even find something nice to say about the Vega. Visibility is one of their biggest failings in the safety department. You'd be far ahead to stick with their chassis' parent vehicle; or go to their namesake, even they share none of it's ruggedness or durability.

The H1, Image

I see the H1s back from Iraq and Afghanistan, all bent & twisted... then refurbished and sent back. They're actually pretty amazing. Yes, they're wide for jeep trails... but for anywhere your p/u can go, so can they... and they're just so cool with a 50cal outta that turret!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Yuppie posermobile.

I used to live in Atlanta, and would stop at the local (real) Hummer dealer and drool. I wanted one so badly.

Then I joined the national guard and drove one. Not a good choice for pov. But, they have been doing things in Iraq for 8 years, for which they were not originally intended, and doing it well.
Griff wrote:H2 based on Blazer chassis, H3 based on Tahoe chassis. Refined junk. And I've pretty much liked all Chevy offerings. I can even find something nice to say about the Vega. Visibility is one of their biggest failings in the safety department. You'd be far ahead to stick with their chassis' parent vehicle; or go to their namesake, even they share none of it's ruggedness or durability.

The H1,

I see the H1s back from Iraq and Afghanistan, all bent & twisted... then refurbished and sent back. They're actually pretty amazing. Yes, they're wide for jeep trails... but for anywhere your p/u can go, so can they... and they're just so cool with a 50cal outta that turret!
What he said.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

UncleBuck wrote:I guess anything that weighs around 5000 lbs(or more) would need frequent refueling, but am surprised at the negative comments so far. I was under the impression that they were pretty good as far as reliability, but impressions can be wrong since I don't know anyone who owns one.
I was kind of thinking about buying a used one since 2005-2006's are now going for $20k or less.
have heard generally unfavorable reports on reliability and everything else on H2 and H3
if you really want a hummer, get the H1 alpha, 2006, the diesel.. it has almost a cult following as the ultimate hummer before they ended.
cable
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

UncleBuck wrote:Does anyone own or have any experience with the H3 or H2 Hummers?
Any information or impressions would be appreciated concerning: Reliability, maintenance, pros/cons, etc.
As a second choice go to www.jeep.com, look at wranglers
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Lots of better choices, The original H1s, Surburbans, I like the new 4 door jeeps, etc etc. Like already stated the H2s and H3s are just revemped versions of other models and the mods they did make actually hurt the vehicle. The H2s inflated body is just rediculous with poor ground visibility and that isn't just my opinion. They're a stutus symbol and if thats what you want buy one. If you want an off road truck, buy an off road truck.

LK
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GM hummers are a waste of money...

Real military hummers....are worth it....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Many years ago G. Gordon Liddy did a test report on the Hummer for Car and Driver Magazine. His report said it was heavy, handled poorly and was underpowered.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

RIHMFIRE wrote:GM hummers are a waste of money...

Real military hummers....are worth it....
Real hummers cost from $65,000 to $140,000 depending on how equipped. May be worth it for the military, but not for going to the grocery store, unless stylin' and profilin' is your thing.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

If I may interject...... my wife and I love our H3.. great little snow car..never been stuck.. tried to do a cookie with it on icey roads, couldn't do it.. She feel safe in it.. long ways between towns here in Wyoming.. If mama's happy, everybody's happy.... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

My dream ride for as long as I can remember has been a H1.....but not the fancy street version. I want a military hummer. Found some places that sell the referbs here and there but never pulled the trigger on one since it would be quite an expensive play toy.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I ain't buying nothin' that a lot of them were not made and the kinks worked out:wink: It would be like buying a '59 Edsel (back in the day) and trying to find a door for it 3 years down the road.

I do know that my son tells me (very experienced 4 wheeler in Co.) that a good 'ole Jeep Wrangler will drive circles around any 1,2, or 3 Hummer offroad.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

Here is a chart, straight from AM General, the originator of the High-Mobility Vehicle, showing the differences between the military HMMWVV & the civilian "H1":

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hummer/compare.php

If you wish to look at the history of AM General, then you can try follow their ownership changes, here:

http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate/history.php

While I believe that AM General made tons of money from GM marketing "Hummers", I think that this strategy caused too many people to think that GM actually owns ALL HumVee & Hummer products.

...and, let us not forget that the HumVee was designed during AM General's ownership by AMC. The HumVee was designed to replace the highly-successful Jeep (itself a product of AMC/ Jeep), for military purposes. The general resemblence of the HumVee to the Jeep is very much deliberate. In 1987, Chrysler bought AMC & Jeep, just to get the Jeep. If you recall, a few years ago, Chrysler tried to sue GM/ Hummer, because the Hummers looked too much like Chrysler's Jeeps.

I realize that I have not given UncleBuck a proper answer, but I feel that some knowledge of Jeep & HumVee history is needed.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Hagler wrote:Gentlemen,

Here is a chart, straight from AM General, the originator of the High-Mobility Vehicle, showing the differences between the military HMMWVV & the civilian "H1":

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hummer/compare.php

Shawn
Not every HMMWV has the fording kit. In fact, I have never seen an Army HMMVW with one, nor have I seen a navy/Marine unit without. Not to say they don't exist. Also, I have never seen a HMMWV with a locking steering wheel.

I think the larger point, though, is that the HMMWV and Hummer are the same base vehicle, while the H2 and H3 are completely unrelated except in name.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hagler, thanks for the nice information on the hummers.
Thanks to all that responded. I'm going to be moving out west this summer and am looking for a nice USED (can't afford new) new SUV type vehicle that is reliable and dependable especially in very cold weather.
Heck, I like the way the H2and H3 look but it isn't going to be a "toy" (my toy days ended when I sold my Z/28 a number of years back) and appreciate the handling comments, so I guess I'll look at Jeeps or some Toyotees. Its too bad that Ford doesn't make the 'ole Broncos anymore.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The military HMMWV had a planetary drive which allowed me to almost sit up underneath it. They were a little underpowered, but a good mechanic could fix that. I had a lot of fun driving them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Why pay the extra money to get your Burb dressed up in another body? I'll stick with a real Suburban and keep the extra money for guns!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/