What should I do? MIssing Levergun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

What should I do? MIssing Levergun.

Post by Griff »

Many, many years ago, I loaned my father a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I told him at the time that he should have one, especially as he was moving back to rural TN, an area that has bears and other none cuddly animals. At the time I had several Winchester .30-30s and missin' one wasn't one of my concerns... wait... that's really still not... just that well, if it's been stolen, I don't want someone thinkin' THAT is ok.

Almost a year and a half ago he passed away. My mom asked me to take all his guns and keep them at my house. The trouble was, she didn't know where they all were, nor what he had. The Marlin hasn't shown up on any searches, but I did find the box of ammo I gave him along with it. I got several guns from two of my uncles, but not that little Marlin. I recently found the serial number in one of my old inventories, and have thought about reporting it stolen.

However, knowing how generous my dad was, it is quite within the realm of possibility that he gave it away, as something he didn't need or didn't use. My mom has no specific recollection on what he did with any of his guns, but said she did know he had traded a gun here or there.

What do the brethren of the board say?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: What should I do? MIssing Levergun.

Post by rossim92 »

report it missing , see what happens, and take it from there
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, reporting it stolen could create some real trouble from someone who may have gotten it completely legitimately. I would say let it go. Can get hazy who sold or gave anything away in old age.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd let it be known in the family that the one gun is missing and you're considering reporting it as stolen but waiting until you've been through all his possible hiding places (to give them time to fess up). Let it be known that you have the serial number. IF somebody says, "well your dad gave it to me!" then you can deal with it from there. IF somebody says that so and so has it and is worried that you'll report it stolen... You can "make up" by repeating what you said here, that you were just worried about where it was and you know Dad was generous and all that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie,

You must be a LOT older than you appear... good idear. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you... gonna go tell my busiest-body of a cousin, word'll be out all over the 3-state area in about an hour! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hobie wrote:I'd let it be known in the family that the one gun is missing and you're considering reporting it as stolen but waiting until you've been through all his possible hiding places (to give them time to fess up). Let it be known that you have the serial number. IF somebody says, "well your dad gave it to me!" then you can deal with it from there. IF somebody says that so and so has it and is worried that you'll report it stolen... You can "make up" by repeating what you said here, that you were just worried about where it was and you know Dad was generous and all that.

Very good.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There you go. That might work. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

If you walked into my station and tried to report that gun as 'stolen' you would get politely turned away; and we don't take 'missing gun' reports. You willingly transferred possession of it to your Dad, who did whatever he did with it.

My suggestion is to make inquiries within the family and if that effort is unsuccessful, let it go.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I am minus a saddle from that exact situation. Found out years later an uncle had "appropriated" it the day after Dad left us. Uncle by that time was in a home, no sense persuing it. Sometimes forgiving is better than letting it eat at you.
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

I think that every police department is different in how they handle reports of firearms being lost or stolen. I think that what Hobie said is pretty wise. I too would let it be known to the family that you are looking for the rifle and have its info, and that you just want it back, or to know where it is, regardless of your dad having given it or loaned it out. Set a timeline to report it stolen/missing, and when that time comes, do it. You can also talk with a local police officer and see what the officer thinks you should do. I went through a similar ordeal when my grandfather died, and I ended up having to do reports for stolen firearms... but when i did, they showed back up in my grandmothers house. Good luck with figuring it out.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie obviously plays chess! :wink:
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

You are fortunate to have found the serial number,you have the key for whatever you decide to do in the end.

I have a problem that I cannot solve with a missing Glock 9mm.
My late Brother was a retired police captain from a medium sized southern california city.
He lived his last decade and a half in a couple of southern Utah towns,which we both came to care about very much.

He made a call to emergency services but was gone when help arrived.
The people in charge did a wonderful job of securing his property until my Nieces arrived from California.
He had just returned from a gun show and all of his stuff was out of the safes,they included some very collectable winchester levers ,single action colts, a Fine Spencer carbine and an 1860 Colt and some very valuable "Cowboy Collectables".

All were accounted for.
However when I arrived I found the two spare loaded mags for his Glock 9mm on the kitchen counter , he had carried that Glock on duty years before and still carried daily.
The Glock is still gone and I have no clue as to the serial number.

I am fairly certain someone who was on the premises after it was secured has that pistol and would dearly love a serial number so that I could raise some commotion .
As it is its lost ,and my brother would be most upset at this outcome of his prized Glock.
Serial numbers are so important!

Regards, Creosote
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff I agree with what Hobie said, just see how it plays out. November of 2009 I loaned my old model Charter Arms 4" Target Bulldog .44spl to what was at the time a friend. He was to bring it back in about a month, He lives in Oklahoma and gave fifteen different tales of how it became "gone".
I have finally come to a little peace over it, well maybe I have, this is the first time I have talked about it. Hope it turns out OK for you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Grandpa "lent" my Mdl 37 12ga that he promised me...never did get it back, and the relative who had it wouldn't give it up.....Grrrrrrr...it's true, ya can't pick your family, or get rid of 'em :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree with Hobie 100%, and be sure to emphasize having the SN, and tell the family about, since it's nowhere to be found, REALLY wanting to know whether it needed to be reported stolen, or (gently) if he just gave it to someone.

I'm sorry your Dad passed, Griff - and also that he passed w/o organizing his possible bequeathals.

I'm trying to make my family clear on all my arcane possessions, even going as far as to tag/label each with what they are & a dated value I update monthly - how else is my family to know that the leather leg-o-mutton takedown shotgun case they were mightt to sell for $10 at a yard sale is worth $200-$300 ?

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Pete44ru wrote:I agree with Hobie 100%, and be sure to emphasize having the SN, and tell the family about, since it's nowhere to be found, REALLY wanting to know whether it needed to be reported stolen, or (gently) if he just gave it to someone.

I'm sorry your Dad passed, Griff - and also that he passed w/o organizing his possible bequeathals.

I'm trying to make my family clear on all my arcane possessions, even going as far as to tag/label each with what they are & a dated value I update monthly - how else is my family to know that the leather leg-o-mutton takedown shotgun case they were mightt to sell for $10 at a yard sale is worth $200-$300 ?

+ 1...and I learned something about leg-O-mutton cases!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
It ain't worth the ag dealing with an inanimate object. Sometimes its better to leave a sleeping dog sleep. Move on.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I know where your coming from Griff. I hope the situation works itself out !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It would be tough to prove a gun was "stolen" when it's been out of your posession this many years without a police report previously. I'd do what Hobie suggested, and if that doesn't produce it let it go.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

How about posting a Want to Locate on various firearms forums and maybe in the local paper where your Dad lived. Offer to buy it back and explain the sentimental significance.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I agree with what Hobbie said. I would add one thing. If the gun doesn't show up with a family member, remind everyone that you have the serial number and you are going to keep a record of the number and that you gave it to your dad. I have done this with every gun I have bought, sold or given away. If, God forbid, that gun is used in a crime and is traced back to you, you will have the records, and everyone in the family will know the story of the gun to back you up.

p.s. I have two guns currently "on loan" to my son. He was told I want them back and he cannot sell them or give them to anyone else, but. . . . . .sometimes the best plans get changed. Keep good records. . . .!!!
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Hobie is right on.
When my dad died, a few firearms were missing, but I had recent photos of a few rifles on a wall, one of which was missing; a .444 Marlin.
I called Dad's neighbors and said, "Gee, I don't know where it's at; so the Sheriff may be asking everyone around here just as a routine investigation to see if maybe someone saw a prowler or something odd."
The Marlin miraculously reappeared, as did a S&W .41 Mag Model 57.
The issue was thereby resolved and everyone remained cordial at the memorial service.
I never really called the law; it was just a bluff that worked.
otteray