Uberti model 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Uberti model 1873

Post by getitdone1 »

Have a problem I'm gonna solve. Have lots of reloads for 357 magnum and no gun, at this time, to shoot'em in.

Been look'in at the Uberti model 1873 SRC. Think that'll be my next gun.

Will it take hot 357 loads over the long run without causing problems?

Don McCullough
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti model 1873

Post by COSteve »

Not according to Nate. He's said that Uberti '73s and hot 357mags don't play well over the long run as the rifle will shoot itself lose and a gun with too much headspace is dangerous. I'm disappointed too because their 24" 357mag Special Sporting rifle calls to me. But alas, it's not strong enough for my dream of using it for long range shooting.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The Uberti 73 is proofed for the 357mag by the Italian Government's National Firing Proof House. All Italian made arms are proofed to 30% higher than standard for the caliber. Their standards exceed our own. As long as your loads are within SAAMI specs, your good to go.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Proof testing for absolute pressure containment isn't the same as life testing for headspacing. It's not hard to have a design that will proof test to 80,000psi a few times but not be able to take 10,000rds of 35,000psi loads without the headspace going out of spec.

I'll side with Nate's experience on this one. While they are great looking and work well with cowboy loads, he's told me that a steady diet of full power loads isn't good for Ubertis. I'm betting that he's got a lot of experience behind his claim.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I can't dispute Nate's statement, based on my longstanding use of my Uberti in .45Colt, I would not hesitate to buy one in .357mag. However, I would be very cautious in what loads I would use in it. I don't think, I wouldn't have any qualms using factory loads outta it. I probably wouldn't use that ammo in a severe enviroment such as CAS, and I certainly wouldn't "hot rod" any ammo destined for use in it, just as I wouldn't use such in my 2nd Gen Colt SAA.

And I have no doubt that EVERY such defective 1873 Nate's seen was accompanied by the firearm equivalent to "...it was only driven on Sundays by a lil' old lady from Pasadena!" I also believe some percentage of those might be close to the truth. As they say, you can get a lemon anywhere.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

Have you given thought to a Win 92 or clone? There are quite a few out there new and used at half the price of an Uberti 73. I agree that that 73 is an outstanding gun (had 2 of them 44-40 and 45 Colt until I replaced them with an original) and they shoot like a dream But I agree that if you shoot a lot of stout .357 loads, you will shoot them loose.

Most cowboy shooters are using light .357/.38 loads most of the time. Those guns will last forever.

The Pumas, Rossies and Cimmeron - Taylor guns (92's) will shoot any responsibly reloaded .357 round you put in them. The SAAMI pressures on them is around twice that of the 73.

I have a Puma 44-40 short rifle that is simply a hoot! I had so much fun with it that I just got my hands on the same original, a Win 92 made in 1907.

Both feel and shoot the same. You can load them with confidence.

Just my opinion.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You might wanna take a look at a Taylor's Burgess Rifle. They make them in 45C & 44WCF, they will be in .357/38 soon.

A very nice piece,from what I hear the action is stronger than a Winchester 73.

If you want the strongest action the 92 is hard to beat.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30