Older Puma 92 44 Mag Bore Size.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tkcomer
Levergunner

Older Puma 92 44 Mag Bore Size.

Post by tkcomer »

Slugged the bore on an older '92 Puma (Imported by LSI) and the best I can tell, it slugs .427/.431. Are those about normal for the older guns? The slug (.458 lead ball) goes in pretty easy until it gets about 4 inches from the chamber. Then it tightens up. The reason I ask is it just hates my .429 plated bullets, but does OK with jacketed and .431 Laser Cast. I have an 1872 reproduction Open Top (Very low power loads with Trail Boss) and I'm not sure if the Laser Cast bullets would be a good choice. Getting low on bullets and would like to know if I could get one bullet instead of two different sizes. Anyone else have one of these old guns? And what size do you shoot through it? Thanks for any replies.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Older Puma 92 44 Mag Bore Size.

Post by mikld »

My Puma (LSI) slugs at about .431" - .432" depending on my measuring. I did 6 or 8 slugs to get this measurement and I shoot .432" Ranchdog 265 gr. FNGC in it fine. From what I remember there were no tight spots...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

Mine (short rifle and a carbine) shoot the ranch dog 265gr bullets at. 432 really good. I just started casting some bullets yesterday, the ones I tried and that sold me on the mold were given to me by a nice gentleman from Arizona to try out. I haven't shot any of the un-checked ones he sent, but the gas checked ones shoot good. Now I just need to get the casting part down; never casted before yesterday and ran into a few issues with fillout and then frosty bullets. But I think I found my answer to these problems over on cast boolits website.
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

Well, since I don't cast, looks like I need to buy two different bullets. It'll be hard to find cast bullets with a .432 diameter. I love the gun. I use Trail Boss in it also.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If you have a tight spot get some lapping compound and follow the instructions on beartooth bullets website you can use your laser cast bullets coat them with the compound and get to shooting, Ive done the process on a pistol and it works. danny
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

tkcomer wrote:Well, since I don't cast, looks like I need to buy two different bullets. It'll be hard to find cast bullets with a .432 diameter. I love the gun. I use Trail Boss in it also.
A couple places sell the RD TLC432-265-RF.
http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/Ranc ... doors.html
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_riflebullets40.htm
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

They can run anywhere from 429 to 432 with no known rhyme or reason. Mine runs 430 and I am shooting slugs from a beagled and lapped Lee mould sized to 433. The smallest I have measured was 429 on the nose.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

tkcomer wrote:Well, since I don't cast, looks like I need to buy two different bullets. It'll be hard to find cast bullets with a .432 diameter. I love the gun. I use Trail Boss in it also.
Beartooth bullets have .44 caliber bullets from 240 gr. up to 405 gr. and .429" to .432". Before I got my Ranchdog mold I shot some 250 gr. WFN bullets sized .432" from Beartooth, worked great. http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...