Marlin 336 Front Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 336 Front Sight

Post by BruceB »

I recently retrieved my 336 30/30 from my soon to be former parents-in-law. Upon examination the front sight now lists a bit to starboard and shows flattening from striking something. I've put a Lyman 66LA on it and wanted to replace the front with a sourdough from Skinner Sights. What height and width should I order?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 Front Sight

Post by iceman »

If you drift it out the height may be stamped on the bottom, or simply measure it once out.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

iceman wrote:If you drift it out the height may be stamped on the bottom, or simply measure it once out.
Since it's bent and a bit mangled I didn't think I'd get an accurate measurement.

NRA Life Member

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

In my experience, front sites are generally uniformly sized. Simply drift it out with a properly sized brass punch to the right, ejection port side, and measure it with a set of calipers. Please let us know the height. Do not worry if it is bent. We still should be able to determine the "prebent" height. The height may be stamped on the bottom. 1886.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there BruceB -- I like the Skinner blued blade front sights. Even with a round barrel I like to use the 3/8 inch wide base unit designed for ramps. They are less clunky looking mounted. I like to get the Skinner folks to build it .050" wide for general purpose use and around a 1/2 inch tall. If you were to set your rear sight to it's lowest elevation, and file the front sight off until you have a zero at say 50 yards, you will be able to achieve longer range sighted shots (not necessarily at game). Keep the top of the sight flat as you file, add a touch of cold blue when you're done, and you're good to go. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a 1950 336A that definitely has a much smaller than 3/8" front sight dovetail. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

1886 wrote:In my experience, front sites are generally uniformly sized. Simply drift it out with a properly sized brass punch to the right, ejection port side, and measure it with a set of calipers. Please let us know the height. Do not worry if it is bent. We still should be able to determine the "prebent" height. The height may be stamped on the bottom. 1886.

It measures .260"

NRA Life Member