92 won't feed swc

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

92 won't feed swc

Post by hondo1892 »

Ok guys my 92 .44 mag won't feed swc's because oal is too long. Does anyone have one of the Seaco molds for the truncated style bullets. I would like to find out the distance between crimp groove and nose. I'm looking at 240 to 270 grain bullets. Also are there any other bullet mold out there that may work. I know the cowboy molds will work but the ones I seen are lighter than I want. I want something that I could thump a deer with if I use it to hunt. Thanks.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 92 won't feed swc

Post by mikld »

Ranchdog's bullets feed in my '92. http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com I don't have an LBT mold, but their Wide Flat Nose and Long
Flat Nose designs feed well in my Puma, both .44 Special and Magnum. If you want to buy some cast in various styles, look at Beartooth Bullets' offerings http://www.beartoothbullets.com

I've read some fellers will trim their brass enough to feed SWC bullets. I haven't tried it 'cause my Ranchdog 265 gr. Flat Nose GC is excellent...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

It seems that most of the 92's wont shovel the simi wadcutters . Or at least that's what info I have .

...........................Mutt
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Besides playing with various bullets to find one that feeds, 92s can easily be tuned to feed longer than normal SWCs. My Rossi was adjusted to feed full length Keith SWCs. In doing that it also fed every thing else much better.

My suggestion would be to take it or send it to a gunsmith well versed on tuning them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Are we discussing reloads? If so, have you tried seating the bullets deeper so as to reduce the OAL? You may have to adjust your powder charge accordingly to compensate for the reduced case capacity. Do you use the Lee FCD? 1886.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

mikld wrote:Ranchdog's bullets feed in my '92. http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com I don't have an LBT mold, but their Wide Flat Nose and Long
Flat Nose designs feed well in my Puma, both .44 Special and Magnum. If you want to buy some cast in various styles, look at Beartooth Bullets' offerings http://www.beartoothbullets.com

I've read some fellers will trim their brass enough to feed SWC bullets. I haven't tried it 'cause my Ranchdog 265 gr. Flat Nose GC is excellent...
Rather than trim the .454 Casull brass some hand loaders will just use .45 LC brass.
The .454 brass takes SR/SRM primers whereas .45 LC brass takes LP/LPM primers..........some see that as an advantage also.
The .45 LC brass (some brands?) is apparently strong enough to accommodate +P pressures.
I don't know I never tried it personally.
I was going to attempt to load the cannelureless .452 caliber 250 grain Hornady FTX bullets (meant for the 450 Bushmaster cartridge) for my Rossi Puma in .454 Casull using .45 LC brass but never got around to trying it.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There's a coule of ways to fix that, I'll pm ya when I ain't drivin'! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd be glad to know how to get longer rounds to feed also. Keith loads won't work in the Browning 92 without some work.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1886 wrote:Are we discussing reloads? If so, have you tried seating the bullets deeper so as to reduce the OAL? You may have to adjust your powder charge accordingly to compensate for the reduced case capacity. Do you use the Lee FCD? 1886.
The Lee Factory Crimp Die is nice in that I've been able to crimp bullets securely in places other than the 'crimp groove', to alter overall length...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

Weird, both of mine feed commercial 240gr lswc just fine. Plus they both feed the Ranch dog 270gr rnfp really well.

I use the standard rcbs 3 die carbide set to load them.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The Keith bullet is longer in the nose than the common comercial 240 gr swc bullets, and weighs more, around 250+ grs. I don't know what exact bullet Hondo was using. I havent seen the Ranch Dog bullet to compare.

I've heard of people modifying the carriers and perhaps other parts to work with the Keith bullets, but I don't know exactly what was done. The rim also hits the bottom of the ejector, so it would have to be modified as well. I posted this question some time back, as to exactly what was required but got no responses.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Griff thanks for the pm. I had some old reloads that had Lyman swc's in them. I would kinda like to try other bullets though. I like the wide meplat on the LBT bullets. So I may order a few and if I like them I'll get a mold.