Situation at work will prevent me from going to Africa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Situation at work will prevent me from going to Africa

Post by piller »

I have paid most of the fees for the trip to Africa that 86er had set up. Now comes the problem. My District Pharmacy Supervisor at CVS has placed me on vacation not of my choosing so that I cannot take 2 weeks in May. I have no say in whether I want to take the vacation or not, and thus will not be able to go in May. Not even several calls to the corporate Employee Relations department has helped. CVS reserves the right to force you to take your vacation at your District Supervisors whim.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Situation at work will prevent me from going to Africa

Post by kimwcook »

Now I understand sometimes things have to be done, but knowing you've got this trip planned and they won't work with you, well, I'd be looking to work somewhere else. Sorry for your current situation though.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that just does not seem right. I am sorry
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

When is your vacation? We'll send you then! Otherwise, I can re-schedule you as soon as you can. I'll write CVS about this too!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hopefully the hunt can be re-scheduled thanks to 86er's consideration. 8) 8)

If...
  • a) my pharmacist license was still active, and
    b) it had reciprocity with your state, and
    c) I could be away from my practice that long, and
    d) I could stand working for a large, impersonal corporation,
...I'd come fill in for you...!

I can honestly say that "d)" would be the hardest part for me...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

86er wrote:When is your vacation? We'll send you then! Otherwise, I can re-schedule you as soon as you can. I'll write CVS about this too!
WOW, its awesome when you deal with an agency that will work with you when unforeseen hardships or issues occur!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nothing but first class gents around here..... :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

As for myself...I would be seeking employment elsewhere.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

86er wrote:When is your vacation? We'll send you then! Otherwise, I can re-schedule you as soon as you can. I'll write CVS about this too!
This one sentence tells me if I can ever afford to go to Africa, this IS who I am contacting!!!
I've just been trying to figure out how to afford a pig hunt so Africa might be down the road :mrgreen:
Terry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks to all of you. Since Saturday, I am in the process of finding another job. Two weeks ago I was forced to take a week of vacation, and even though the employee handbood clearly states that your vacation time is to be of your choosing based on availability, I have not been able to get this fixed.
Joe, I will be contacting Chris, thanks for the email with his email address. I am going to have a good income tax return and will have about a week of vacation to take. Last week we got a new scheduler and I will get with her to see when I can go. I will probably have to take the week I have left and the rest of the time off without pay. With the income tax return I think I can do it. Sighthunter has talked to a state legislator about it already. She met one at college where he was doing some very early campaiging and she told him. He told her he would have the state Dept. Of Labor look into it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Until now, I've never had anything against CVS. But for the sake of convenience, I quit doing business with them a few years ago. Now I'm glad I did! ;)
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

This is yet another reason why I respect you greatly sir.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm going to hold the quoted pricing for you and get you over there whenever you have the time. If I cannot free up Chris or one of our regular guys I'll pack up and PH myself to see this through.

On another note, I contacted CVS corporate and received the following response in part and substance: Our employee manual is available upon subpoena, court order or official request. We can furnish an abbreviated version in electronic format upon written request. It is our policy not to disclose confidential personnel actions unless compelled by official action. . I promptly stated I felt this was an abuse of managerial authority, and an individuals personal interference with an employees prerrogative to use vacation time as needed and for whatever purpose the employee deems appropriate within the law. I ended with a notice of non-patronage and specifically stated I would be using Walgreens and Wal-Mart in the future due to their reputation for support of employees rights.

Hang in their Piller - your safari awaits!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I hate it when a plan doesn't come together.

A couple of years ago I planned to spend two weeks doing nothing but hunting in Texas. Had a week of Mule deer hunting out in the Big-Bend followed by a week of hog hunting in the Rio-Grande Valley. Got off to a good start with the deer hunt but hurt my back breaking camp and had to cancel the hog hunt with less than 24-hours notice to the ranch owner. I had the place reserved for the whole week and there wasn't time for him to rebook. Both of us lost money on that one. Not at all like your situation, but just an example of how shite happens and plans change. Grain of salt stuff.

In your case, corporate life stinks, but it sounds like a manager's decision made for the good of the business versus the interests of an employee. I realize that you have a lot invested in the Africa trip, but Joe seems willing to work with you, and that's cool. Unless you just really hate your job and your company, I wouldn't make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Certainly, let them know where you stand, but let's play "real-life". Now is not a good time to be unemployed.

"... In proving foresight may be vain, for the best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry, and leave us naught but grief and pain..." - Robert Burns

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.