OT Back on line at last! NOW WITH PICTURES.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

OT Back on line at last! NOW WITH PICTURES.

Post by gamekeeper »

When I moved from my old place on the 14th January I didn't think it would take till now to get back on line :x

The fact that I lived on a 2500 acre shooting estate and was no longer allowed to hunt there finally got to me so I found a smaller, cheaper but nicer place to rent, it is set in 50 acres but 50 acres that I can hunt beats 2500 that I can't!
I will post some photos of the new place but it looks a bit bare at the moment, can't wait for spring.
So far I've only seen one Roe Deer and a few Squirrels, no rabbits or Foxes yet but lots of Badgers (protected) :roll: Pigeons, Crows and Rooks are plentiful as are Pheasant and Partridges even a pair of Mallard nesting on a small pond.
I can plink to my hearts content in a couple of old chalk pits, so my 9422 and AR7 have been burning up plenty of ammo :D This afternoon I took a walk around with my 16GA and tried it out with the .410 gauge mate, a great little gadget, can't recommend them enough.
Next I will knock up a target for my 30/30 and try to get my eye in again.
Hope to post some more interesting stuff on hunting in the UK but I doubt I will match Nath's great posts and photos. :D

This is the little appartment I rent, it was once part of the existing stable block.
These are my nextdoor neighbours.
The view from my kitchen.
Mallards on the small pond.
The park land.
The Ha Ha.
The Landlords house, a tad bigger than mine!!
My son shooting Wood pigeons with the Remy 28GA.
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Back on line at last!

Post by olyinaz »

Glad to see you back! I used to love shooting in old limestone pits where I grew up and miss it terribly in Arizona.

Post some pics! :)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Welcome back!!!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GK,

Glad you're back. I know how you feel. I'd be thrilled to have a 50 acre place where I could shoot. The chalk pits sound like a bit of heaven.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thank God your back. Missed ya'.

Sounds like a sweet place for you GK, is your son with you? How is the lady?

I look forward to your huntin' stories and it ain't no competition.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome back GK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Thank God your back. Missed ya'.

Sounds like a sweet place for you GK, is your son with you? How is the lady?

I look forward to your huntin' stories and it ain't no competition.

Nath.
Thanks Nath, Junior works away but comes home regular, he's hoping to use his 28GA 870 (was mine :cry: ) on Pigeon.

Shirley is coming over for the weekend and bringing her .410 :wink:

Thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hey good to see ya back. Sounds like you are sitting pretty now :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Welcome back to the fire, GK. You're much better for the move. I can't imagine sittin' on 2500 acres and not being allowed to shoot and hunt. What kind of people have such rules? Royalty? :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Glad to see you back! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear of more hunts :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Glad to have you back, and glad to hear your in a happier place!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome home GK.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome back indeed. Good luck with your new home and getting settled in. sounds like a piece of paradise.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure nuff glad to have you back with us. Looking forward to your post and photos. Sounds like a real fine place. That 410 insert sounds interesting.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Without trying to bait you into just saying bad things about your former 'landlord', I'm curious as to what kind of setup it was, or even just the kinds of setups typical over there for 'gamekeepers'. :?:

We own the old farm I grew up on, but don't farm it ourselves, so split costs and receipts with a 'real' farmer down the road - works well for both (he farms way more land and varieties of terrain than he could own outright, which helps offset flood vs. drought, and helps get enough crop volume to justify equipment expense, & we get maybe $5,000 or so a year in most years that pays the taxes and a bit more, but aren't dependent on it for our primary income). We also own the old house I grew up in and rent it out (barely break-even since the house is small, older, and the insurance and between-tenant-repairs eat the money), though since our huntable land is small, and the liability is difficult to insure for with our 'farm' insurance options, we haven't allowed the renters to hunt our place (none have expressed an interest, anyway).

I was just curious how it tends to be done over there...were you (or are you now) renting from farmers, just people who owned non-commercial land, or what?

Regardless of the situation(s), though - I'm glad it's working out better for you now. If you're ever visiting the U.S., I'm sure pretty much any part of the country you went to, you'd find one of us Levergunners eager to meet you and swap stories, and target shoot or hunt a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote:Without trying to bait you into just saying bad things about your former 'landlord', I'm curious as to what kind of setup it was, or even just the kinds of setups typical over there for 'gamekeepers'. :?:

We own the old farm I grew up on, but don't farm it ourselves, so split costs and receipts with a 'real' farmer down the road - works well for both (he farms way more land and varieties of terrain than he could own outright, which helps offset flood vs. drought, and helps get enough crop volume to justify equipment expense, & we get maybe $5,000 or so a year in most years that pays the taxes and a bit more, but aren't dependent on it for our primary income). We also own the old house I grew up in and rent it out (barely break-even since the house is small, older, and the insurance and between-tenant-repairs eat the money), though since our huntable land is small, and the liability is difficult to insure for with our 'farm' insurance options, we haven't allowed the renters to hunt our place (none have expressed an interest, anyway).

I was just curious how it tends to be done over there...were you (or are you now) renting from farmers, just people who owned non-commercial land, or what?

Regardless of the situation(s), though - I'm glad it's working out better for you now. If you're ever visiting the U.S., I'm sure pretty much any part of the country you went to, you'd find one of us Levergunners eager to meet you and swap stories, and target shoot or hunt a bit.
The place I left is owned by a retired businessman and he was keen for me and Jr to rent one of his properties because I was once a full time gamekeeper and keen to help keep down vermin.
The estate gamekeeper had been there 30 years and was more than happy for me & Jr to shoot vermin anytime we wanted. However the landlord sacked him and took on a young guy who made it clear he did not want anyone walking around the estate, with or without a gun.

In the UK hunting is expensive unless you know a friendly farmer or gamekeeper who will let you shoot on their land. Friendly farmers & gamekeepers are RARE and hard to find.
I was lucky to find a small apartment owned by a rich shooting family who have given me permission to hunt vermin (Rabbits, Squirrels,Foxes Pigeons and Crows Etc) on their 50 acres.
My job with local government involves pest control so I was able to offer the landlord FREE help with any domestic pests which helped me securing some free huntin'. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad you are back GK, you seem to have found a great spot!! :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Glad to see you back and found a new place to play...
sure would enjoy some pics of your new place! enjoy!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

...but 50 acres that I can hunt beats 2500 that I can't!
Amen, Brother!!!! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome home!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome back. You probably have a lot of cathin'in up to do. Sounds like you've got it figured out.
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I was worried the IRA got you :lol: glad to see you are settled in, moving can be a pain good luck on varmints. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good to see ya back. Look forward to tales & pics.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad you are back, move completed, and on land you can hunt on again. PM me your new address when you get a moment! :D :D :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"...but 50 acres that I can hunt beats 2500 that I can't!"

Amen to that, as others have said!

Sounds great John, good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you are back, and I'll be looking forward to some more photos.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT Back on line at last! NOW WITH PICTURES.

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry the photos are not too clear and the landscape is still a bit bleak but spring is on its way :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Enjoyed those photos. That is a beautiful view from your kitchen window and beautiful countryside.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very nice place....good luck in your new home....
and good luck with the hunting too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome back indeed!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GK,

Nice pictures.
Love your neighbors, they're a lot nicer than the ones I have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Welcome back GK ! Looks like a nice place. Looking forward to more stories and pictures from you.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great pics and that is a great gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote:Great pics and that is a great gun.
The 870 28GA was mine :cry: :cry: but I gave it to GKjr when he graduated from university.
He did let me have a go with it but I blame the tears in my eyes for some pitiful shooting! :oops:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Know what you mean GK. Gave my son a 94 45 Colt which he traded back to me for a 32H&R SS Stainless and jumped on my recommendation before that for his first SA with a 7 1/2 FA 454.

I looked at one of those 28s but something else was first then it was gone.

Great pic of your son there.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh GK you done good there, game pie n' stew are going to be cooking all the time in your kitchen.

MmmmmMmm I can smell it from here :D

Glad for you.

I've worked under/with miserable gamekeepers myself, they don't half make the job miserable.

Ego, some of them have terrible ego's, remember the film The Forbidden Planet! :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!