T-Bolt Browning 22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

T-Bolt Browning 22

Post by m.wun »

I was looking at a few Browning T-bolt 22 rifles.Didnt know nothing about them and still
dont but saw it has a staight pull bolt.Anybody have or use one?They look of quality,but
curious about how the bolt operation works.Would like too have a higher quality 22 but not a real pricy custom rifle.Would like to know about the triggers on them too...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Hobie

Re: O/T T-Bolt Browning 22

Post by Hobie »

New or old?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

New...
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The only one I have shot was a Belgian made one built in the 70's. It was a tack driver with open sights, but that's when I could see the sights! :lol:

IIRC it was a fine gun as far as fit and finish and trigger.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The new ones have a plastic trigger group housing. Adjusting/refining the trigger has proven pretty difficult. IMO, the guns just aren't the same. I'd buy an old one but not a new one. I'm like that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

It not been mentioned, but one thing to watch for with old T-Bolts is the "salt stock", wood that was somehow or "somewhy" exposed to salt during the manufacturing or finishing process. Rifles with salt stocks are easily identified -- the metal is all rusty below the wood line, and sometimes above it.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

As has been said, the new ones are "pretty", but the old ones are tack drivers, but for the few with salty wood.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have a 70's model, shoots great with the factory peeps, trigger can be made to be decent, they are kind of light weight, but for a small game hunting gun, I love it
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old T-Bolt = Belgian-made, straight-feed detachable mag, iron sights issued, Standard (T1) & Deluxe (T2) versions.

New T-Bolt = Japanese-made, double-helix rotary mag, blind (no iron sights), walnut or plastic stocked versions.

After considering the new T-Bolt, I opted for a 1970 T-2 (end of saltwood era), which turned out to be dead-nuts accurate, w/o touching anything beyond mounting a Leupy RF Compact scope and stroking the trigger while shooting.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You know, one reason I have kept away from many a "modern" Browning rifle like the Abolt and the new T bolt is the trigger design.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Great info.I havent handled one to feel it out.I dont like the plastic trigger housings alot
of guns have these days.Im sure some plastic ones are of quality but they never have the
" feel of steel ". I want a higher quality 22 and thought the straight pull bolt might be faster
than other bolts.I want a simple accurate action, good trigger,med. weight, with iron sights
even though it will be scoped.Im even open to semi auto, and do like some versions of the
10/22 Ruger.I guess Im trying to find that magical gun that apeals to me,feels balanced and
has a good reputation from people like yourselves who know what they are talking about...

Thanks for the replys!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Here is a picture of an old "Saltwood" T2 that I refinished, it was a gift from my wife back in the 70's. I was unable to seal the stock completely so the "cure" was line the receiver and barrel with silicone dialectric paste and then screw the action in. I simply wiped off the excess silicone grease and 4 yrs later no rust! BTW the trigger guards on these were pot metal not steel. Still a beautiful , accurate .22 and this one has a crisp 2 lb. trigger.
esmallwood
Levergunner

Post by esmallwood »

retmech wrote:Here is a picture of an old "Saltwood" T2 that I refinished, it was a gift from my wife back in the 70's. I was unable to seal the stock completely so the "cure" was line the receiver and barrel with silicone dialectric paste and then screw the action in. I simply wiped off the excess silicone grease and 4 yrs later no rust! BTW the trigger guards on these were pot metal not steel. Still a beautiful , accurate .22 and this one has a crisp 2 lb. trigger.
wow wonderful job !!! is there any way you could email me step by step procedures on the refinish ? I have a 1968 auto 5 that has the same color of wood on it that I want to refinish.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I would also suggest the old Remington 500 series bolt guns. I have a 511X bought new around 1966 or '67. That is the box magazine version but they also build a tube fed and single shot. Very accurate, good trigger, quality feel. All steel and walnut. The only .22 I have that compares is a Winchester 57 from the '30s that I inherited.

Post by Pete44ru »

If you can locate one, a Winchester 69/69A's no slouch - they're almost as accurate as my Belgian T-Bolt.

My T-Bolt T2 Deluxe:

BTW: One thing the new/Japanese T-Bolt has going for it, vs the Belgian version, is that the new rifle's available in .22Mag (the original was LR only) and in several different versions.