OT - I ordered a boat anchor yesterday !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - I ordered a boat anchor yesterday !

Post by 6pt-sika »

A close friend of mine turned 50 yesterday and his wife wanted to get him something nice that he wanted !

Him being the Glock nut and all he wanted a Glock 32 in 357 Sig . I found him a nice new one in New York state that was GREEN and he liked it !

So I have that coming for him on monday !

I understand alotta folks like those things but they look like boat anchor material to me :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - I ordered a boat anchor yesterday !

Post by COSteve »

Evidently you've never even held one or you'd know that they are amount the lightest weight yet softest recoiling pistols made today. A Glock 21 45acp might be bulkier than a 1911 but it weighs 3/4 lb less than a std government model.

For example, a Glock 21 weighs 26¼ oz empty while a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec weighs 39 oz empty. That's nearly 50% heavier than the Glock. So, if the Glock is a boat anchor, then that makes the Springfield a battleship anchor!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:Evidently you've never even held one or you'd know that they are amount the lightest weight yet softest recoiling pistols made today. A Glock 21 45acp might be bulkier than a 1911 but it weighs 3/4 lb less than a std government model.

For example, a Glock 21 weighs 26¼ oz empty while a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec weighs 39 oz empty. That's nearly 50% heavier than the Glock. So, if the Glock is a boat anchor, then that makes the Springfield a battleship anchor!!
Alright I'll give you the weight thing !

And yes I have handled and fired quite a few of them over the years . And to me they are about as usefull or tastefull as a boat anchor !

My point being I DISLIKE the GD things !
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I am with you 6pt. Ugly as sin.

Don
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The 1911 should handle nice then :D

Nath :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I'll take the 1911! You can keep the plastic fantastic!
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Why is it so difficult to get a Glock in that East German green? When I was younger and more foolish, I wanted one in green and simpy could not find one. Dealers even told me that it was illegal to sell the green ones. Of course,this was in 1990.

Now, upon mature reflection, I agree all Glocks are ugly as mortal sin.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have had several Glocks. They are my fav self defense handgun. I carried a Glock 31 for a few years. The .357sig is a great round although some people dont get it cause of the price of ammo.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Steve,

I'm sorry but those are ugly to me as well. :wink: Nobody can dispute the excellence of the product as a tool but the aesthetic escapes me. I have thought of getting one at the LEO price and putting it on one of those near to 1911 grip shape aluminum frames. I just can't bring myself to open my wallet for it. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

No insult, to you Steve, but the Glocks are not an attractive firearm. :cry: I've shot them and they go bang just fine, but I still prefer my Sig.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Steve, I'm sorry but I have to agree with Hobie. He almost took the words out of my mouth. I was a Deputy Sheriff when they first came out and lots of Leos wanted them. My best friend was a Deputy U.S. Marshal and he bought one right away. He then spent the next two years trying to get me to buy one. I never did. I do think they are a fine well made firearm, and I fired his as well as others often. They do shoot well. Two things: The grip angle was not right for me somehow, and while not "ugly" to me a Glock just doesn't call to me to hold or buy if that makes any sense. If they do to you that is wonderful and I guess one of the reasons we are all different. For me my Browning Hi-Power Practical fits my hand like a glove and just feels and looks right. While I have over 40 firearms the only others that come close are my Python and Cobra. Probably because I carried all three at one time or another while in Law enforcement. But any firearm I buy has to look "right" before I buy it. I don't know how to describe that except it's close to when I first met my wife and danced with her, she just looked and felt "right" and 20 years later still is. God Bless. :D
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

COSteve,
The Glock has been a very successful pistol and has a large following. Though they are not my favorite, I did use one for my initial concealed carry test and shot "instructor" scores with it.
I prefer my old S&W M39 alloy frame for a 9mm carry gun because I can shoot it even better and it seems to fit my hand best. On subsequent CC tests, my wife and I have shot our M39s and scored even better.

My PH in SA handed me his Glock to finish off my Gemsbock with a heart shot(.338 had broken shoulders and back) and I missed the heart with the first shot at 3 feet! Neither the Glock or 1911 work best for me, but the S&W does.

They are all geat pistols and we are fortunate so be able to choose from a wide selection.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I feel like the Glock and the AR-15 are kind of a 'pair' like the 1911 and the Garand, in that they make a very practical and reliable and useful handgun/rifle combo, and I would not hesitate to grab the pair if I needed to deal with something unpleasant. The 1911 and M-1A I think ARE prettier, and just seem to be more solid, though I would expect 'torture tests' to show both Glock and modern AR's to be tougher than I am.

When I had a Glock years ago, I disassembled it and saw lots of the itty-bitty parts made of thin steel, vs. the few beefy chunks of the 1911. That just bugs me, even though I've seen the videos where the Glocks are basically indestructable.

Interestingly I have the SAME feelings about the Garand... :o All those fragile-looking parts related to the clip-loadable magazine just give me the creeps. I know they seldom break, and I love my Garand, but I like the simplicity of the M-1A far better (most people assume the latter is better due to higher magazine capacity, but even if it had a regular internal 8-shot magazine, I'd prefer the M-1A over the Garand.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way the Glock could be 'improved' in a similar manner, so I guess I'll have to go on being a Glockophobe. Maybe someday I'll try one again, if I find one in .45 ACP (but then I'll want another 1911 for the 'spare parts' factor), or 10mm (but then I'll hesitate to get into yet 'another round to reload for'). :roll:

The Para Ordnance "LDA" gave me the same feelings, by the way, even though it looks like a 1911 from the outside. Too many little linkage parts inside, though the DA trigger was seriously as good as a SA Contender trigger, and felt about as easy to pull.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yes, the Glocks are hideously ugly. A face only a mother could love. Must be why I like mine.
I have owned 3 and still own 2. The only fault I find in them is the blocky grip. I love my S&W M&P 45 except for the trigger. So when Glock gets a S&W grip or S&W gets a Glock trigger, I will have found my new pistol. And yes, I know the Gen4s have a new grip - not the same.

As for Sig, I will never again trust my life to one. Ever. I expect my guns to fire when I squeeze the trigger without having to disassemble and troubleshoot. I'd rather carry an SAA.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

Glocks are ugly as can be (regardless of what's been done to them), but 13 rounds of .45 acp that works when you need it to makes up for a lot.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm pilin' on Steve - them things are FUGLY!! :D

Like Hobie said, can't no one dispute their technical excellence because they just dang well WORK and work well......but they're ugly! I just couldn't take it and went with the Springfield XD because they're also fantastic tools but just not quite as ugly as the darned Glercks (as I call 'em).

Hey Six Point: I hope that you got a good premium for that "tactical" boat anchor! After all, if it's TACTICAL it needs to cost 30% more!! :lol:

All in fun,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Are you all saying that Glocks are ugly but Sigs, HKs, CZs, Berettas, Springfield XDs, S&Ws and all the other modern combat pistols aren't too? Get real! A 1911 when first introduced was considered ugly compared to a Colt SA and a Win 60 was ugly compared to the graceful lines of a caplock.

Have you ever heard the term, "Function is beauty?" Guys, even though this is Leverguns.com, we still live in the 21st century. There's no going back to the 'good ole days' of the 1880's.

I guess I have a different perspective than many here because I've actually had to use combat firearms for their intended purpose. I'm drawn to something I can depend upon to save my life, not some safe queen or BBQ gun.

What's ugly as sin to me is a nice shinny Kimber 1911 that looks pretty and jams when my life depends upon it working! All my firearms work reliably every time or they're toast.
Steve
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Steve , I think that G20 is Purty maybe even beautiful what with the contrasting slide and all. And We all know the old saying " Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder". I have 3 Glocks and think they r all Purty.
Lay that 20 along side a 1911 and snap a pic to give them some perspective.
I know everyone is saying " He's from Kalif, what does He know"
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:Are you all saying that Glocks are ugly but Sigs, HKs, CZs, Berettas, Springfield XDs, S&Ws and all the other modern combat pistols aren't too? Get real! A 1911 when first introduced was considered ugly compared to a Colt SA and a Win 60 was ugly compared to the graceful lines of a caplock.

Have you ever heard the term, "Function is beauty?" Guys, even though this is Leverguns.com, we still live in the 21st century. There's no going back to the 'good ole days' of the 1880's.

I guess I have a different perspective than many here because I've actually had to use combat firearms for their intended purpose. I'm drawn to something I can depend upon to save my life, not some safe queen or BBQ gun.

What's ugly as sin to me is a nice shinny Kimber 1911 that looks pretty and jams when my life depends upon it working! All my firearms work reliably every time or they're toast.

In my original post I stated " I know alotta folks like these things" and I understand that !

What you need to do is get over and move on !

You like em and about 70% of the folks here DO NOT !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Hey Six Point: I hope that you got a good premium for that "tactical" boat anchor! After all, if it's TACTICAL it needs to cost 30% more!! :lol:

It was for a really good friends 50th !

We made $30 !
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I think the Glocks are ugly as sin. However, one would be among my first considerations for concealed carry, because I'm not carrying for looks. If I'm buying for looks, 1911 every time. I even think the HK's and Springfield XD's look better than the Glock. Nobody can dispute the reliability factor of the Glock, and that carries a lot of weight when one puts their life in its hands. If Quasimodo was dependable and saved my life, I would think he looked pretty good! :wink:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have decided that if I must buy a fantastic plastic modern handgun it will be a S&W M&P as it fits MY hand best. Still, my High Power, 1911s and revolvers all work and suit me fine. :P :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hobie wrote:I have decided that if I must buy a fantastic plastic modern handgun it will be a S&W M&P as it fits MY hand best. Still, my High Power, 1911s and revolvers all work and suit me fine.
I like the feel of the M&Ps as well and that's why I wont buy a Glerck - I like the feel of some other plastic fantastic guns better......and some of them are less ugly. :lol: But for the record I'll say that my issue H&K never did fit my hand all that well so despite it looking better than a Glerck I didn't buy one even with the LEO discount.

Hey, funny thing is my 1911s all eat whatever I throw at 'em and go *BANG!* every time - even my Kimber. :shock: They look good too. :mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

6pt-sika wrote:
COSteve wrote:Evidently you've never even held one or you'd know that they are amount the lightest weight yet softest recoiling pistols made today. A Glock 21 45acp might be bulkier than a 1911 but it weighs 3/4 lb less than a std government model.

Alright I'll give you the weight thing !

And yes I have handled and fired quite a few of them over the years . And to me they are about as usefull or tastefull as a boat anchor !

My point being I DISLIKE the GD things !

Whatever floats yer boat! :mrgreen:

Me? I like the things. 8)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

olyinaz wrote:
Hobie wrote:I have
Hey, funny thing is my 1911s all eat whatever I throw at 'em and go *BANG!* every time - even my Kimber. :shock: They look good too. :mrgreen:

Oly

The Glocks hold 6 more rounds than most 1911's though, which helps make them more attractive to many people :D I don't really like the looks that much, but i loved the performance of a G21 i had a few years ago :D

I have run down the 1911 rabbit hole since, but may add another Glock to the mix one of these days, besides, they look more appropriate with a Surefire mounted to them than a 1911 does :lol:
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I like the glock 27 .40S&W and carry it with a 13 shot glock 23 magazine. The 40 180 ain't that far off the 45ACP's 185 jhp. while not the prettiest, it goes bang EVERY TIME. Lot of shooters thought that the 1911 was ugly ,inaccurate, and out dated back in the 60's if i recall accuratley :oops: ? Jeff Cooper did alot to disspell that. Glock needs to bring out a deep concealed carry piece with a single stack 9mm. A flush fit 7 round and an extended 12 shot magazine would be a nice touch.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I carried a G36 for a couple years. It was accurate enough to shoot grouse with. I sold it to my SIL, and he loves it, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

tman wrote:Glock needs to bring out a deep concealed carry piece with a single stack 9mm...
This comes up a lot, if they introduced a slim single stack 9 I don't they could make them fast enough. I know I'd have one.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my kimbers have never jammed, not one fail to feed, ever. I carried one for three years, using it while working in the gun shop, shooting it every day and using it in instruction also. 10s of thousands of rounds. I'm back to carrying another, a ss raptor II and it shoots flawless. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I"m happy your happy with the glocks and you have made yours into what you wanted in a carry firearm. I will stick with the 1911 platform myself.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

1911's are what you show your friends.................

Glock's are what you show your enemies.

:D

Steve
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I never cared for the looks of the Glocks, had the 1st model 17, and it shot ok, after getting used to it, but I wouldnt take 3 glocks for 1 of my tuned browning Hi-powers :shock:
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

jdad wrote:No insult, to you Steve, but the Glocks are not an attractive firearm. :cry: I've shot them and they go bang just fine, but I still prefer my Sig.
I have to agree. I would not want to be seen in public with a Glock. Yes they do go bang, but they do it with NO class.I will stick with my 1911s and my P220s.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Are Glocks ugly? Yes, but so are A10s and I like those as well... :mrgreen:

Ugly may be a bit harsh. "Soul-less" may be a better term for the Glock.

If I want "pretty and functional" I'll go with the BHP or 1911 (in that order). If I just want "functional" the G19 rides along.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote:Ugly may be a bit harsh.
Nope not harsh at all !
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I own a 1911 and it fits my hand better than any other handgun I've handled. However my every day carry gun that I use for CCW is a Glock 23. My first Glock was a 21. Sold it because it didnt fit my hand quite right. For me if its going to be a 45 make it a 1911 so long as it is reliable. Other than that I will take a Glock. If we are tlking about Glocks that we wish were made I wouldnt mind seeing them make a single stack 45acp.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've never really found any serious combat worthy handgun as "attractive". They're a tool, and the Glock is a tool that works very well.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

I have 5 1911's in my gunsafe........and 1 Glock 21 next to my bed. Something to be said for 13 rounds of 45acp in your hand. 8)

Steve
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

sureshot wrote:I have 5 1911's in my gunsafe........and 1 Glock 21 next to my bed. Something to be said for 13 rounds of 45acp in your hand. 8)

Steve

I tend to see that more as you don't want the 1911's possibly stolen and the plastic thing on your nightstand is more of a throw away item :lol: