OT-flashlights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT-flashlights

Post by Rusty »

Looking at flashlights these days can be a heart stopping moment if you're not ready for what you're going to see on the price tag.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the Surefire models and what their features are.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-flashlights

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had a surefire for years and think the 6 series is a good light. They provide lots of light in a small package but they do go through batteries in a hurry. I finally bought 2 sets of rechargables for it. My brother was a cop and he carried one daily, my wife was a cop and prefered the streamlights. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For all the great things that you can do with a surefire, I generally prefer Streamlight (usually about 1/2 the price) or, even better, "Coast" brand - which you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes - and neither is as dependant on $$$ Lithium/Platinum?gold&Diamonds type batteries... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, I did notice the batteries are a bit on the high side. Maybe when they're dead I can paper patch them and load them in my Redhawk.

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Like OI, I tend to like the streamlights and they're a better value than the surefires.

CR123A's can be had more economically if you buy them in packages of 12 or more.

THIS one from Remington really has my interest. Found it HERE for about $43.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty, my flashlights are cheap ones off e-bay, the LED type. They are small and have a tight beam.

They use two 123 Lithium batteries, they are very good for my night shooting.

I will look for a link.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

being the frugal read that cheap skate that i am i found a great deal at wallys a colman led aluminum that takes two AA batteries has a button on off switch on the butt for around 29 dollars i like it so much i got three of them. give them a look.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Check out the Candlepower forum for reviews of all the lights. I found Surefire to be 50% higher than comparable (or better) lights from O-Light, Fenix, etc.. I'm sure it depends on your specific needs, e.g., general light (there are some nice one CR123 small pocket lights out there), outside use lights (e.g., larger grip, woods walking), HD lights for use with your bedside weapon (e.g., high lumens, moderate sized package, strike bezel), CCW (small but high lumens), etc. There's a number of good choices out there.

Whatever you do, check out the classifieds at Candlepower...some great deals on both new and used lights.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I see that MagLite has LEDs out....I'll go check them out....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Junior is finishing up his criminal justice degree and is going to need something to carry on duty so he needs something to use on duty. In my day it was a maglite or nothing but things have changed.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I would suggest any of the flashlights that run on LEDs and have a tail-cap activated strobe function.

I think the Streamlight version is called the "stinger" or some such.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:I would suggest any of the flashlights that run on LEDs and have a tail-cap activated strobe function.

I think the Streamlight version is called the "stinger" or some such.
My Droid Incredible has a flashlight app that has three levels, an SOS, and a blinking mode. You couldn't find your way in the woods with it, but a decent pocket lite, and emergency flasher.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

A vote for Streamlight, and anything of theirs that is LED.

I had the little Streamlight Stylus, the penlight LED that looks like a long pencil..Spent many a time in 2003 when I was on mid shift in the USAF on activation clenched between my teeth as I inspected, signed-off on and filled out aircraft forms. (yes, I know, illegal tool and a FOD hazard. I'm out now so chill)

About a year ago I noticed it was dim, very dim and through swapping components with another one, it was in the main body.

Dropped it off at a Steamlight warranty center in Indianapolis, about a week and something later a brand new Stylus (with batteries!) still in the bubble pack was in my mailbox.

They sold me and earned my loyalty.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:For all the great things that you can do with a surefire, I generally prefer Streamlight (usually about 1/2 the price) or, even better, "Coast" brand - which you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes - and neither is as dependant on $$$ Lithium/Platinum?gold&Diamonds type batteries... :wink:
I'll second the Coast brand - the "LED Lenser" is phenomenally bright, and has only two, sensible, settings - first 'on' is BRIGHT (190 lumens, anyway), and next click gets you a dim 'walking' light that saves batteries but is still plenty bright, next click is 'off'.

http://www.coastportland.com/master_cat ... hp?catid=3

PLUS, they fit 30mm rings, so make a good light for the Night Scout rifle(s) I made; (they do make them in black, but the local Lowes' only had 'silver').

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've carried a Surefire 6z daily for 12 years for LE work. The batteries aren't cheap (D123's), but what's the price for your life. I've always carried high end products because at the end of the day I need to be the one going home. Streamlight is another flashlight carried by a lot of LEO's, but I don't have any personal experience with them. They've come a long way since I got mine, but never saw the need to change out.
Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Check out Elzetta. http://www.elzetta.com/ I have their 3 cell 235 Lumen ZFL-M6 with their strike bezel and High Low Beam tail-cap. I have had Surefires and Streamlights and the Elzettas are like a Bradley Tank or an A10 Warthog of flashlights. Or maybe here I should say they are like the 1886 of flashlights. They are strong, bright and extremely well made. They make the high end Surefires and Streamlights look and feel like tinker toys in comparison.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've carried Surefires on duty on and off for a decade, about five different models.

For a cop duty light, the E2D Defender, while not cheap, is excellent. You can use high and low settings and it has a crenellated bezel in case you use it for an impact weapon. The basic model works well too as I can attest, having had to use mine unexpectedly once on someone.

For an allpurpose 'light to have a light' Maglites still work fine.

The Streamlights are solid, I have a few around, but if my life is on the line i still vote Surefire. Having used them from 130F to -20F, in all weather conditions, for years.....they run like nothing else.

The new G2X is also worth a look. The batteries arent' cheap but for a cop, what is your life worth?

Inova's X1 makes a good handy day to day light. Not too bright but runs forever on 1 AA. Works well for a light-the-way-to-the-latrine light or getting dressed in a dark room surrounded by sleeping guys, or doing paperwork in a vehicle, etc.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sure Fires were the first small, bright flashlights. They are still good but there are many other good choices now. Streamlights are very good. The Streamlight Microstream is a very good small light but not a duty type light. When I lived by my flashlight I had a Streamlight SL20X. A very tough light but that was in the days of bigger lights.

Many people use Streamlight Scorpions in one version or another. The 5.11 Light for Life is proving to be a good light. If you live in the dark you have to have a rechargeable light. No one can afford enough batteries. The 5.11 light charges in 90 seconds.

Do not scrimp on your flashlight. It is hard to express how important a sho' nuff flashlight is to people who do dangerous things in the dark.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

I've owned a Surefire for 5 or 6 years now; it is a top quality tool. I'd hate to be without it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

wecsoger wrote:A vote for Streamlight, and anything of theirs that is LED.

I had the little Streamlight Stylus, the penlight LED that looks like a long pencil.....
They sold me and earned my loyalty.
The Stylus is also my favorite. I like it because it is Kubotan Quality but TSA acceptable... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

The Surefires, and the better Streamlights will hold up long term to hard use. I still use a Streamlight SL20 I bought in 1989. I've got a number of the Surefire G2 Nitrolons (under $40) and they are excellent lights. The LED versions cost more but give longer battery life.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Rusty wrote:Junior is finishing up his criminal justice degree and is going to need something to carry on duty so he needs something to use on duty. In my day it was a maglite or nothing but things have changed.
Lots of LEO's still carry rechargable streamlights. Anyone working LE will tell you there is nothing worse that searching for a crook indoors or out at night and your light goes dead. I still use a streamlight but I bought my son, who is also a cop, a 5.11 rechargable light. They are full size but very light. They also go from dead to fully charged in 90 seconds. :o That is a great officer safety feature. No batteries either! So far he loves it and no problems. It has a strobe feature that the "ghetto bird" (helicopter) pilots like. They can spot it easy from the air. They are pricey but very well worth it. About $160.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote:They also go from dead to fully charged in 90 seconds. :o
That seems too good to be true; how long do they shine once 'fully charged'...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For those of you lucky enough to have an Academy Sports and Outdoors store near them, the Academy brand size 123 batteries are a little less than 1/2 of the price of the Duracel and Energizer batteries and last about the same time in my Brinkman light with the Xenon bulb. You don't want to look directly into it unless you are willing to see nothing but actinic afterimages for a few minutes. I think the LED lights are even worse about causing temporary blindness due to afterimages.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Whatever brand you get, you can get CR123 batteries (Streamlight brand) for $1.50 each if you buy in quantities of 25 or more. For an LEO that is not an unreasonable amount to buy at once. I get about 1.5 to 2 hours continuous use from 2 123s in my Scorpion light. Almost twice that if I use the LED version I have, but I don't feel it is as bright and I can't stand the bluish tint to the LED light. Habit makes me like the Xenon bulb better.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

If I was a cop, I would not concern myself with the price. I would buy 2 of the best and carry both!

Personally, I like the LED lights because of "bulb" reliability and battery life.

JMHO :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I bought 12 packs of Surefire brand CR123s for about $20 and went through a pack about every six months working nights, sometimes a bit more.

Well worth the 'coming home alive' bit.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote:
jkbrea wrote:They also go from dead to fully charged in 90 seconds. :o
That seems too good to be true; how long do they shine once 'fully charged'...?

Here's an old link from 2008 I found explaining it. Several of our officers purchased them and are extremely pleased with them. I think the run time is 90 minutes at full strength. No batteries needed. They make a full size model and a smaller compact one about the size of a streamlight stinger.
http://www.flashlightnews.org/story1762.shtml
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have been carrying SureFire lights for years and am quite satisfied with them. Currently, I have my old Z6 and a Z2. If you leave them on, which you do have to do, of course they will heat up and drain the batts rather quickly. A box of 12 123A Lithium batteries from the company costs 21 bucks, and is the only way to go. The junk from Radio Shack is horribly expensive and has a very short use life. Ditto the rechargeables.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I still say the Elzetta's run rings around the Surefire lights. I have also found that the Panasonic 123A Lithium batteries are the best value and longest lasting batteries. They can be found for anywhere from $1.50 down to $1.20 depending on quantities purchased. They are 1550 mahh batteries. Most of the others are 1400. The Surefire's are also 1550, but at a much higher cost and no increase in performance.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

In my experience, Surefire has the most reliable (and brightest) hand held light on the market. I looked at the Elzettas that SJPrice talked about and they appear to be the same light with several more attractive features. I would like to try one.
HaroldB
Levergunner

Post by HaroldB »

While Surefires are great, if the dept. is paying for them, Fenix lights have more options, more light-output and are about 1/2 the price of Surefire.

I use the Fenix TK-12, built like a tank and super bright. I have two and would bet my life on them.
HaroldB
NRA - Life
SASS #77072
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have been carrying a Surefire E2 for 10-12 years. There may be as good or better lights after all these years but I have had such good luck with this set up I'll probably stay with this. I do think I'll change to a LED bulb at some point because of the big increase in battery life. I also carry a Streamlight pen type light in my shirt pocket. Those lights are handy beyond belief.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

check e-bay, and some other websites, you can buy the exact same lights as the surefires,ultrafires, xlr250 kill light, ect. straight from hong kong for around $20 with shipping, they normally take about 3 weeks to get delivered though, there was many threads on the predator masters website discussing all the different lights, also look at the dealextreme sight and aliboba sight, you can order the light just about any way you want them.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Surefire 6P . It's my first experience with a LED light. Amazing how that small a light ,lights up a room! I have it mounted on my AR in a Larue mount, when it's not on my belt.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I have a Surefire and thought it was a hell of a flashlight, I then found some LED lights from the Sportsman show in Harrisburg that ran around $40. One was a 3 watt LED and the other was a 2 speed 5 watt, Let me tell you, side by side, the good LED's were brighter, longer range,and a "whiter" light then the Surefire. I didn't think anything would beat the Surefire but these do and they use regular batteries.
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Surefire all the way! I have four and 3 of them are LED Only one was purchased as an LED and it is the E2L Outdoorsman. It has a low/high clicky tailcap, I carry it in my thigh pocket at work(Air Force). I have an older E2E that is incandescent and while it is nice and bright, it eats batteries like it's belly button is wearing a blister on it's spine. I have a G2 converted to clicky tailcap and LED head on my M4 and 870. They have held up very well and one is on it's first set of batteries, while the oldest is only on it's second set. I have had the oldest one for three and a half years now. I say "cry once, buy once" and go with Surefire.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a Streamlight TL-3 that I like a lot. 200+ Lumens.

My one complaint is that they don't seem to make a remote tail-switch for it. It's got a momentary-on tail-switch and twist it to lock on.

Even with a green filter on it lights up hogs at 100 yards.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have several Surefires. The one I use most is the e2e, I put the longer clip on it from the outdoorsman, and mostly use the MN02 bulb, which is half the power of the regular lamp, and lasts twice as long. I buy a two or three boxes of batteries a years and a couple bulbs, and that usually gets me through a year. The Surefire cr123's I think are much better batteries than the other brands I've tried, and cost less when you buy them from Surefire or a volume dealer.

I keep a G2 for by the bed with the 50 lumen lamp and fresh batteries always in it, and an older 6p with the 120 lumen lamp by the bed also. I keep a Coleman 3 speed LED headlamp by the door for many of the little chores I used to do with the Surefire, like getting firewood, getting groceries out of the truck after going to town etc, and my Surefire batteries are lasting waaay longer.

I wouldnt mind trying another light, but really like my e2e. I carry it in the leg pocket of my Carhartts.

I have the Surefire spares carrier for spare batteries, but it's round and bulky, and only attaches to you by a neck lanyard. I find it pretty much of a nuisance to carry. Is there another spare battery carrier for cr123's that clips to the belt, or has them arranged flat, and that the lid/body doesnt come part into two pieces when open?

I think the Streamlight Scorpions are good lights, but I've had them lose the bond between the aluminum body and the rubber cover. They also taste nasty (rubber) when you put them in your mount. Pretty good lights tho, with a good clean light pattern.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

as long as its rechargeable, both are pretty good...
I have an old scorpion streamlight...and it eats lithium batteries
so i dont use it anymore.....my favorite is a small craftsman that
out preforms a maglight, and i have 4 or 5 mags....but pic
that little craftsman every time i go hunting
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I recently picked up one of the new LED MiniMag lights. It is bright, uses standard AA batteries, has adjustable power high and low beam, Strobe, and SOS strobe. Only down side is that it doesn't have a switch in the tail. The paper work that came with it say's it will run 18 hours we shall have to see.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis