OT Dulles Gun Show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT Dulles Gun Show

Post by MikeS. »

This weekend, the 8th - 10th is the big show at Dulles Expo center in Chantilly, Va. Any of you plan on going Saturday? I'll be there when they open. Will be looking to buy some .44 magnum ammo and some reloading supplies. If the price is right, I've checked out the local gun shop for powder and primer prices. So I'll have an idea what is a good buy, or not.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

MikeS,

I'll be there on Saturday as well. I live in NOVA. Be nice to meet another Levergunner to just say "Hi".

Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

btt
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Love to go, but Dulles/Chantilly is a good five hr drive one way for me.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Noah,

Certainly not worth the drive. In years past, the Dulles/Chantilly show took up both buildings, with booths crowded into the space. The last one I went to in November, was only at one of the buildings at the Expo center, and the booths only sparsely filled that. Of course, they used to only do the shows twice a year, but now it's every 2-3 months. I also heard that the last one I went to in November was put on by a different group. I'm hoping this one is by the original group, and will be like the ones in years past. (They also stopped selling beer at the show -- I bet that's the reason they're not as popular!)

Still, a lot of people show up. Although, I suspect not for the lever guns. The prices I've seen asked seem very high. Every Marlin and Winchester is a "collectible." Guns I would think to be priced in the $600-700 range are priced at $1100-1500. Except for ammo, reloading supplies, accessories, and new handguns, not many bargins to be found.

Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

alnitak wrote: . . . Still, a lot of people show up. Although, I suspect not for the lever guns. The prices I've seen asked seem very high. Every Marlin and Winchester is a "collectible." Guns I would think to be priced in the $600-700 range are priced at $1100-1500. Except for ammo, reloading supplies, accessories, and new handguns, not many bargins to be found.

Bruce:

Thanks for the background on it; I appreciate that very much.

Twenty years ago I lived in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and frequented the shops and shows in NOVA. Wheee doggies, but folks were pretty proud of their merchandise, as you noted (and I boldened) in your post above. I stopped going to the show at Hugos and stopping at Clark Bros because the prices were simply incredible at both. I did get a few deals at that old fella's place in Berryville right on the highway. And the things in the shop in Middleburg ran by the former Marine were pretty dear, too.

Cost of property, taxes and general COL is pretty nuts in NOVA. Nice country, though, the farther west you go from the Beltway.

Noah
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Noah,

Thanks for the heads up about the shop in Berryville and Middleburg. Haven't been to either one, but will check them out. It's sad, but in today's world of the Internet, Gunbroker, SASS, Auction Arms, THR, etc. not sure how any of these shops stay in business with having to charge a fair profit price to make ends meet. I've gravitated to buying LN guns from individuals to save a couple hundred.

Take care. I'll let you know if there are any real bargins at the show.
Bruce
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

alnitak wrote:Noah,

Thanks for the heads up about the shop in Berryville and Middleburg . . .

Bruce, that was 20+ years ago. I know the Middleburg shop is gone, and as old as the owner was at the Berryville shop, it's likely gone too.

Noah
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

The shop in Middleburg, if you are talking about beautiful antique guns, might still be operating out of Mannasas. There are new owners, but I believe still in the family. I will ask a friend still in the area see if he knows.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

There is a gun shop in Manassas that I've been to. It's a little place with the standard sort of inventory...and not many guns in stock. I don't know if that's the same one you have in mind.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

alnitak here is the one in Middleburg it is still in Middleburg, serious money but they use to have some truly beautiful pieces.
They also had a shop in Chantilly in the 80's.

http://www.davidcondon.com/