OT: Differences in Jeep Models

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Differences in Jeep Models

Post by Lastmohecken »

The older CJ's like the 79 CJ5 I had, were not worth a darn as a highway rig. They were about the most dangerous rig on the road, no matter if it was the 4th of July or the middle of February in a deep snow, and you did need to set up straight and watch yourself on slick roads, as they could swap ends on you in a heartbeat.

All of that being said, mine had, from the factory, a geardriven Spicer transfer case, not the weaker chaindrive ones that came after, and it had a Borg Warner T series 4 speed truck transmission, which is almost the exact same one that is in my old Ford F250. It had a Dana 44 solid straight front axle. So, in the rought, it had guts, and could take punishment, that will literaly tear the guts out of these newer jeeps, but it can't run down the highway, like the newer ones can, because it didn't handle like a car, unlike what has came later.

I sure wish I had kept that old jeep, because I miss it on the farm, but I traded it in on a big 85 model K5 Blazer, which has served me well, but I never abused it like I did that old Jeep. But the old CJ5 was a deathtrap on the highway, and I needed a better winter weather rig for work.

I did love that old CJ5, but I wouldn't let a kid of mine drive one, no way, as they are a deathtrap on the highway, and it was very hard to recover from any kind of driving mistake, or slip up. I guess that is one reason they quite making them.
NRA Life Member, Patron
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Talk about rust buckets that would leave a rust trail in the rain…
I remember a very cool, go anywhere and do about anything,
70’s Ford Bronco… 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote:Yep they don't make Nothing like that anymore. OldWin;Sixgun, I had a 64 and a brand new 74 CJ5 when I was a Kid. besides being stone cold in the winter the highway wander they had was terrible.on the icy freeway they always wanted to spin out unless you were just crawling. in three years the 74 was rusting terribly as I rember everyone was talking about the junk steel in the early '70s.
.45 Long Colt, (oops--45 Colt) :D

Like I said in an earlier post, HUGE difference between the CJ, YJ vs. the TJ and JK. Yea, they did sissify them up a bit for us middle aged dudes (56) but.........while the creature comforts are better, well, don't let that fool ya on how they handle---those babies rock!---How 'bout it Old Win?

Rubi on top of the cliff---'Ya think I climbed it?

cropped
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jeeps, I'll show you Jeeps.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun Jr.

I ain't nothin but jealous! When I ordered my Rubicon I told my wife my goal was to someday wheel the west/Moab with it. I got it with what I thought it would need to get there, mainly A/C. I took a lot of ribbing for it but with the blackflies, mosquitos and heat it's great. We have a lot of good wheeling here but most of it is very tight. Can't be afraid of bushmarks and stubby front bumpers are a no-no. Looks like you guys have a great time out there! Nice rigs!

Sixgun,

You obviously raised your son right! Been busy and haven't had a chance to look for pics but I will have to. I never end up taking many cause I always forget. I'm more worried about bringing a gun than a camera! Ha-Ha! I have a softop on mine most of the time (it was a dual top). I put the hard top on for hunting season and leave it till spring for storage. We wheel the snot outta that thing. Last hunting season I managed to rip my front locker line and had to flush all the water out of the air pump. Whoops!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win.--Thanks! I believe I did a GREAT job raisin' that boy of mine. Well, he ain't a boy no more (38) We are only 18 years apart.

Anyway, on to the "raisin" part. You know, the good stuff. :D We are both highly addicted to "TOYS!" :D We are both gun fanatics and Jeep fanatics but..............................here is where the "baby boom" generation seperates from "generation X". I am into the "old school" guns, with an emphasis on pre-war and antique Winchesters & Colts. He likes all of this AR-15 stuff with silencers, bump firing etc.

Our "Jeep likes" are very similar but he gets to use his jeeps for what they were made for. I've "been there and done that" and prefer to stay on pavement. He takes it a step further with Harley Davidson's & enduros.

In short, he "spends" his money---I "invest" mine :wink: :wink:

When it comes to the expensive and prohibited toys, I hang with my bud Tom, who owns Targetmaster and has all of the NFA gear---Thats me on the right holding a M-4 Enhanced--semi-burst-full auto--- ------------Sixgun :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/Levergun459 ... 7itVQNs1eY

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Image

Hmmm, kinda looks like a Pennsylvania Terrorist Group :lol:

I hate to admit it , but I've been fighting the urge to get a AR deer rifle for about 5 years now !

The Stag Arms Model 7 in 6.8 SPC and "Dedicated Technologies" 25 WSSM upper have me thinking really hard on the AR thing :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nice collection of arrow heads on the wall Six.
Susquehanna River finds?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun,

I'm 43 and kinda in between you and your son. I'm a little old school cause old Winchesters have been my first love since I was a teenager. At one time or another I've had the major players in military stuff but have been settled for many years now on M1A's and M1 carbine's. I had my first jeep at 17 and still love to wheel but care less for mud. Got an 08 Harley softail and rode dirtbikes for 20 years. I have 3 sons but only the youngest is really into guns and 4X's. He is 18 and in Alaska in the Coast Guard. We even have a dog that looks like yours named Jasper.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:Nice collection of arrow heads on the wall Six.
Susquehanna River finds?
My bud Tom bought them at an auction some years back. The original owner lived a few miles down the road from here on land near the Brandywine Battlefield. I can make a sure guess that they came from the Brandywine Creek area in Chester County which was also the home of the Lenni-Lenape Indians for centuries. I've found a few myself and my Dad must have found several dozen.

The sad thing was that the guy must have spent his whole life collecting those arrowheads and Tom bought 'em all for like $30.-----------Sixgun

Old Win.---those Harleys can take a big bite out of the gun money :D

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun,

Don't you know it! But its got a ways to go to catch the jeep money pit! Haha! Luckily though all my junk is payed for. I'll catch you guys later, I just got to work.....the reason its all payed for!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I just got a Wrangler TJ ('00 model) a few months ago -- wished i had gotten one sooner --- its a serious fun machine (albeit with extremely limited cargo space)

I am on the fence about the newest ones, the JK's, as i prefer the inline 6 cylinder in theory --- but would love to have a TJ Unlimited model.

Blaine - regarding the meter reader Jeeps getting 9 mpg, -- i can see that. Mine gets 18 mpg with easy driving - combined highway and city, but recently- we had a blizzard and all the stop and go driving, plus very slow putt putting around -- as well as getting stuck in the snow a couple of times (if the snow reaches the belly pan and frame, it can even stick a Wrangler :lol: ) i got 11 mpg on that tank .

To the OP --- i dont know much about the Commander or Cherokee , other than i think the Commander is a seriously nice looking vehicle ! Saw one yesterday with large wheels (but tasteful- not gaudy) and street tires and was really impressed with the looks
----- Doug
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I currently have two jeeps and have been using a jeep for patrol in rural areas for the last 8 years. Jeep #1 is a 2000 Grand Cherokee and it has taken me thtough everything from muddy roads to blizzards and back. The cherokee is of course roomier than the #2 jeep a CJ and had a better ride on the highway. With mud and snow tires it will go about anywhere yu cn take a 4 wheel drive but I find the front end is more inclined to get out of whack than with the CJ. The G/C gets about 18 mpg with a straight 6 and I also use it to pull everything from a camping trailer to various equipment trailers. The little CJ is a basic work and back and fun rig and has a little 4 cylinder. On the road it's good for 22 mpg. The CJ is pretty basic having power nothing, a 4 cylinder with a top end of 60 mph and it's sprung like a lumber wagon. As far as off road I can't see it is any better than the G/C but it IS lighter to pull when you get stuck. In snow the heavier weight of the G/C will let it push through snow that the lighter CJ rides up on. The CJ is also a rag top and at 20 below it's sure not as warm as the G/C. If I were to do it again i would probably opt for the G/C as it's a lot more comfortable and still gets around about as good. If I were a kid and wanted to go off roading on weekends and didn't care about comfort I might get another CJ.