Hello from a new member and owner in Maine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Hello from a new member and owner in Maine

Post by Frankdozer »

Well I'd first like to say that I'm pleased to be accepted as a new member into this very informative website. I'm from Maine and I am a very active shooter. I use to reload 40 years ago 30.06, 12 and 20 gauge. Since I just retired, I plan on starting reloading again. Also on a new toy front, I just ordered a New Rossi R92-51011, which is the .357 stainless steel octagon 24" long barrel rifle. It will go along with my Ruger .357 GP100 6" barrel stainless steel revolver. I also plan on reloading .357 and will pour my own leads. Thanks to all and I'll post pictures when Rossi arrives. Frank
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hello from a new member and owner in Maine

Post by SJPrice »

Welcome, and congratulations. I hope you understand the purchase of lever actions is a disease, there is no cure and you will soon be a penniless person who owns enough lever actions to outfit a large cattle drive.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

SJPrice wrote:Welcome, and congratulations. I hope you understand the purchase of lever actions is a disease, there is no cure and you will soon be a penniless person who owns enough lever actions to outfit a large cattle drive.
Yep. And, that was good.

Welcome to the forum. As you said a very informative place among other attributes.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome Frank ! As U stated ,this is a very informative Site.U caint aks a question that somebody won't have an answer.I have a Marlin 357 ( which I have never fired and have had for over 20 yrs ) and a GP100 blue. I just can't seem to find time to shoot.So welcome and let's see those pics when U get them.
The disease is called "Levergunitis" Your Docter can give U a pill that will help-it makes U forget that U have No money but U just Gotta have another Lever Gun. U will also find a little Levity on this Site. There R some Serious Dudes but all seem to have some sense of Humor.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the forum!!! Looking forward to pictures, range reports and reloading reports. We love to share here!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Dang, Frank, the GP100 is just my favorite pistola, and I've been thinking I should have just exactly the Rossi you have on order :mrgreen: . Keep us posted on your results: that may be just the push I need to go ahead and get the Rossi. You are going to really like loading .357. Carbide sizing die to eliminate messy lube makes this so much nicer than loading the '06. And doesn't take much powder to get a big bang, either.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Howdy Yankee!....from a southern boy in Florida! ..and welcome to the forum!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Welcome to the forum Frank.This is a very good forum to be on.
Stick around you can learn alot in this place. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Howdy and I appreciate what you guys did on Little Round Top
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Welcome to the forum. Think you'll like the Rossi. Mine is a 24" with CCH receiver; I tuned it and it pleases me mucho !!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome. Another "noreasta" joins the ranks of the incorrigibles. 1886
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Welcome Frank! Glad you're with us. I'm new myself and kinda envy that you're just waiting for the arrival of your new addition. I'm just sittin' here waiting for Rossi to ship out some new 20" octagonal 357s so that I can get one(my choice and so my misery). Look forward to your range and reloading reports.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome glad to have you :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the greatest gunsite around.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to our World, Frank. You oughta like your new rifle. Stay warm and dry up there in the great frozen North!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Greetings! That 357 rifle will be a good time. They are fun guns.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome Frank, you are in the right place. What part of Maine?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome to the Forum, Frank. Good folks here. Glad to have another Mainer here, too!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Frankdozer wrote:I just ordered a New Rossi R92-51011, which is the .357 stainless steel octagon 24" long barrel rifle.
Welcome. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

COSteve will be someone to ask about loads, sights, and stuff; he's got the same gun tricked out just right, and sounds really good with it out to ranges beyond what some would expect leverguns to work at. I've got the octagonal Rossi, but haven't gotten a chance to work with it much yet. Since I have a shorter gun with a Williams FP on the receiver, I wound up putting a tang/globe setup on the octagonal, just because it seems to look 'just right'.

The rear sight is the Taurus #62 Tang. Unlike the Lyman ones, it has windage adjustment, and unlike the Marble's ones, it only cost $29. The sight is VERY solid, and adjustments seem quite positive and repeatable.

The front is the Lyman #17 Globe. I got the 0.404" one. I guess Pumas have 'European' width dovetails, (anyway, they're wider), so I had to use some plastic under the front sight for now; I'll replace it with a metal shim if it shifts, or solder it in place, perhaps.

ImageImage

As a 'target sight', the view seems pretty good (hard to take good pictures of sight views).

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Welcome to yet another man from Maine!

-Stretch
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

Before anything else, I'd like to thank everyone in this site for welcoming me into their group. I'll try to participate as much as my schedule permits. Anyway, my New Rossi R92-51011 357 24" SS barrel arrived this past weekend. After looking it over and cleaning it up, Rossi soaks these rifles with some sort of waxy grease to protect them, I sat down and looked it over. I'm really impressed !! Nice finish on both the metal and the stock. The fit is tight. Every so often a rifle comes along that is just perfect - "1 in 1000" they call it ( "Winchester 73" ). I didn't get that rifle. But it's Good !!! Finally got the chance to shoot it yesterday with Winchester 38 Special 130 grain FMJ rounds. I knew there would be no kick, but this was less than no kick. What a pleasure to shoot. The lever action was tight but not overwhelming and every round cycled perfect as it was designed to do. I'll post pictures if I can find out how to re-size them to less than 1000 by 1000 pixels. I do have a question... After I remove the forestock SS cap ( 2 screws, one on each side ) how do I get the forestock off. I'm inclined to try to lever it down but I'd rather ask than commit to damaging it. The information on this sight can be overwhelming. There's so much good advice and fact based opinions. But I'm going to proceed at a snail's pace before I do anything radical. I definitly see reloading in my near future. Thanks, Frank
Stay Thirsty My Friend
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Frankdozer wrote:I'll post pictures if I can find out how to re-size them to less than 1000 by 1000 pixels.
Your computer likely has the "Paint" program on it, and open the picture with that, then there is a "resize" option that you can select "%" or "pixels" on. Then save it with a new name, as a .JPG file, and you can post THAT one as an "Upload Attachment" here. * OR * you can upload the pictures to photobucket.com, and on that (free) website there is also a resize option, but it's slower, as you do everything on-line.

I don't have my Rossi handy, but if nobody else answers the disassembly question before I get home and to the toys, I'll see if I remember. Don't want to advise incorrectly without it in hand.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A belated welcome! Glad to have another Maineiac on the forum.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

OK.............. Here's the new enjoyment stick....................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay Thirsty My Friend
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

AJMD429 your instructions were just what I needed to post.
Thanks,
Frank
Stay Thirsty My Friend
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frankdozer wrote:I do have a question... After I remove the forestock SS cap ( 2 screws, one on each side ) how do I get the forestock off. I'm inclined to try to lever it down but I'd rather ask than commit to damaging it. The information on this sight can be overwhelming. There's so much good advice and fact based opinions. But I'm going to proceed at a snail's pace before I do anything radical. I definitly see reloading in my near future. Thanks, Frank
Unload the rifle.

Remove the magazine plug screw... watch where the spring flings the magazine plug! You'll need it to reassemble!

Remove the magazine ring pin.

Then remove the magazine from the muzzle end. Once the magazine clears the forend cap you'll be able to remove it and the forearm. The forearm may be tight, and usually a couple of taps with the heel of your hand in a forward motion will pry it loose from where it insets into the receiver. You may also need to slip out the forend cap tenon, but that should almost fall out once the magazine clears is as the magazine is slid forward.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Like others have said... "Welcome!"

And yes, it's great to have yet another Mainer here, ayuh. Me? I'm just "down the road a piece" as they say. (Of course, it could be a looooooooong road...)

I'm just west of Portland now, but until a few weeks ago I was closer to Victor's (mod71alaska) stomping grounds on the midcoast.

Which club/range do you shoot at?

By the end of the month, I expect to be a new member at York County Fish & Game. Was thinking maybe we could plan a Maine/New England Leverguns Shoot some time?!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Hi Frank..........How's shoveling out your way?
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Welcome to the fire!
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Hello from New Hampshire.........
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Welcome aboard!!!

And yes, it's great to have yet another Mainer here, ayuh. Me? I'm just "down the road a piece" as they say. (Of course, it could be a looooooooong road...)

I'm just west of Portland now, but until a few weeks ago I was closer to Victor's (mod71alaska) stomping grounds on the midcoast.

By the end of the month, I expect to be a new member at York County Fish & Game. Was thinking maybe we could plan a Maine/New England Leverguns Shoot some time?!Old No7

By the end of the month, I expect to be a new member at York County Fish & Game. Was thinking maybe we could plan a Maine/New England Leverguns Shoot some time?!

Old No7
That sounds like a good idea! :D

Mainehunter :wink:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hello Frankdozer and a warm welcome from sunny Central Illinois.
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

It's great to be welcomed to this forum. As I said before, the Rossi is fun to shoot. I just fired off 20 rounds at a 12" diameter plate 3/16" thick made of 316 stainless steel. I used some 357 wadcutter reloads I purchased locally. Managed to pierce thru the plate after hitting the same spot 3 or so times. Since my rifle is the Rossi R92-51011 Stainless Steel, I have to ask the forum a question related to the receiver. From regular handling, the stainless steel receiver acquires really fine, for lack of a better word, scratches. I have rough working hands and they can put these really fine scratches on with ease. If I try to rub them out with a handkerchief, the handkerchief also leaves fine, fine scratches. I don't want to do any more rubbing for fear of doing lasting harm. What should I be doing? Polishing it or leave it, or what? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM???????
Thanks, Frank
Stay Thirsty My Friend
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Welcome Frank, welcome Kevin those 64s and 71s are a hunters rifle none better. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frank,
Nate Kiowa Jones offers his stainless rifles in a bead-blasted finish. Even tho' I'm not much on stainless (I only have one gun in stainless), that seems to me to be the most practical.
kevin in nh wrote:Image
Welcome Kevin. Uh la la! Love that mdl 64, & 71s ain't half bad either! Love the wood on that 1895!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

Thanks for the idea Griff, but I already have the gun and I like the SS finish.
Stay Thirsty My Friend
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

El Chivo wrote:Howdy and I appreciate what you guys did on Little Round Top
Oh you had to bring that up didn't you? :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Frank! Great group here.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Glad to have you here Frank. As for the scratching on your stainless, unless you're wanting to keep the finish as shiny as possible you can use a scotchbrite type pad on it and leave a kind of matte finish. With the finish being made by fine scratching it'll be easier to hide any future scratching. Just an idea.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Welcome Frank and Kevin, lots of good stuff here.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome home fellas.

must have been asleep at the wheel. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

mod71alaska wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Frank. Good folks here. Glad to have another Mainer here, too!
Was just thinking about Maine cause my Maine CCW permit renewal just arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.
Like to hunt deer around the Ashland area in Aristook (could never spell that name right :oops: ) County.
Lots of moose around the Ashland area but if you don't have a horseshoe up your wazoo you could die of old age waiting to get lucky in the Maine moose draw.
Applied anyway.......nothing ventured.....nothing gained.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

kevin in nh wrote:Image

Howdy.....and very nice shooter.....love the 71
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Pardon my tardy welcome to both Frank and Kevin from sunny South Carolina.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion