Scope choice on a Marlin 3030 Model 30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Scope choice on a Marlin 3030 Model 30

Post by afish4570 »

Eyes aren't working well with iron sights anymore. Saw a few scopes for shotguns and muzzle loaders with the parallax adjusted to 75 yds. Is this a problem for a 3030 used on east coast where ranges are short....Saw the Burris Timberline 2x7x35 and a disc. model 2x7x26 and another 2x7x32's. I have two other Burris 3x9x40 Fullfields, a I and a II and do like them.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Scope choice on a Marlin 3030 Model 30

Post by MrMurphy »

Look into the Leupold VXII's in 1-4 and the 1-5 range.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Given the ranges you suggest you'd be shooting I don't see how a 75 yard parallax would be a problem. I put a Burris Fullfield 2x7 on mine and it's a very nice size for that rifle. The scopes you mention would likely work well also.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've used the Burris 2X7 on my Marlin 35 Rem very happily for years. 'Course I'm out here on the left coast, but we have some thick stuff to hunt in also. Anyway, you'll be happy with a 2x7, and undoubtedly several others...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I use the 2x7 on mine. 2x for hunting....7x for sighting in at the range.

:wink:
silverhair
Levergunner

Post by silverhair »

I use a Bushnell Banner 1.5 x 4.5 on my Marlin .35 I hunt thick woods and brush a lot and that is perfect for me, the field of view is wide enough for running shots There are a lot of good scopes out there, it just comes down to individual preference and field of view desired. Silverhair
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

afish, I may get blasted for this but here goes anyway. I use a Mueller optics multishot on my 45-70 and my 35 remington levers and love 'em. I actually did shoot the reticle loose on the 45-70 after years of use and they replaced it in 3 days. I like the reticle and the adjustable magnifcation as well as the tiny reddot. It doesn't have a ton of mass and my guns still handle well. They have a distributership going so it is cheaper to buy from a dealer than from them, but their website is pretty good for specs and such. I looked on fleabay, and have 4 mueller scopes on various stuff. They are not leupold,swarovski, ect, but they don't cost like them either. Just my never to be humble opinion. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

For the short ranges you are talking about I would try one of these: ($80 at midway)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=593456

I have one and it works very well - much smaller than it appears...

This will allow you to keep both eyes open when sighting - a real boon to woods hunting and shooting at running game. Just put the dot on em and squeeze the trigger. Highly visible at night.

Now, if you need to see the game better too, then yes, get a lower power scope.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I put a Leopold VX III 3x9x40 on my Marlin 336 SS. Some would say it is way too much scope. But not for me
this gun shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 until the barrel heats up. When I hunt with it in deep woods I just crank the power
down to 3. If I had to put another scope on one of my 30-30's it would most definently be a Leopold VX III in
the 3x9 class. Love that gun/scope combo.Love it. :D :D :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a model 30 Glenfield. It came with a scope-base mounted so I put on a Burris 2X7 compact I have. for Me it just wrecked the gun,way too much weight and bulk for that sweet little 30-30. The only scope I would ever mount on it again would be an "early" straight tube Weaver or Leuopold 4X. as it is I picked up a Williams 5D here on the classifieds and it works like a charm.Good Shootin,Jim.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Burris is good. I've had two and they held up on big rifles like .375 H&H. My own rule of thumb is to spend at least as much as I did on the rifle for the scope (up to a point). $1K rifle is useless if it doesn't hit where you want and hold under all conditions. A $100 rifle is perfect if it'll hit where you want and hold under all conditions. A Leupold VX-3 in 2-8X36 would be about perfect and can be found for somewhere in the $300 range.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member