OT--Too Cold For Me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT--Too Cold For Me

Post by Sixgun »

Check this out guys. My son sends me a pic of the thermometer (45 below 0) in Phippsburg, Colorado. They had 7 locomotives and 113 coal cars and ........no brakes. Train brakes work on air. John tells me he very slowly rolled on to a siding in Phippsburg using the locomotive brakes, where they got out and it and took the railroad van to get home in Denver. Another crew managed to get it back in business the next day when the sun came up.

This is probably "old hat" for some of you Northern boys, but it sure ain't for me. The coldest I have ever seen it here in Pennsylvania is 10 below.

Yep, Al Gore is right! :D -----------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--Too Cold For Me

Post by hfcable »

seen it that cold here and in idaho.......................... never learned to appreciate it......prefer it to be in the +20s in the winter, sigh............. :(
cable
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

We have definately had some record lows here in our area. I would normally be okay with it, however, my daughters car broke down on her so I have been dealing with it. Yesterday I ended up having to call the wife to come pick me up. Got it back up and running, but not the greatest weather to be working on a car in.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hunted in deer season on a friday in 1977-78? in penna. mountains. Radio said it was -33f. Not windchill, actual temperature. Didn't last too long that day. I hope the pattern of extended snowy cold winters and extremeley hot summers comes to and end soon.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

KirkD loves that stuff - you spit bounces off the ground.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When we were in a concrete-block house with no exterior insulation or siding, and only about half of the interior walls 'furred out, insulated, and paneled', and our ceiling consisted of 1/2" OSB on the joists, under an attic with no soffetting (we could hear birds in the summer that hopped around 'upstairs' after flying into the attic/upstairs), we had a winter with 36 below zero. Wife was pregnant, and hauled in firewood by wheelbarrow across planks laid to cover the 'pit' yet to become filled with pea-gravel and slabbed for a porch.

It was a nice year for us in that I'd just started getting paychecks, and we both could afford new Carhart coveralls - with HOODS no less...! :mrgreen:

The cold killed even some mature trees that year.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Up here we call that ice cream weather. You can leave it outside and not worry about it freezing. Keep the fires burning.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

We see about -20F here most winters. I remember one
hard winter when we didn't see anything above 0F for about
2 weeks. I had to wear a snowmobile suit INSIDE my little
4-cylinder pickup to go to work - it was too cold for the heat
to work - even with carboard over the grill! I worked
over in Skowhegan that year. I left my house at -20,
it was -30 at work, and the customers coming from even
further north were reporting -35 to -40. THAT was one cold
winter.......

-Stretch
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

"Ice Cream Weather" is an apt description.

Ya gotta bring yer beer in so it warms up
enough to drink - literally!! :lol:

-Stretch
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

This year has been mild , the coldest has only been -26 . Last year it never got above 0 for almost 3 weeks.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It was a balmy 52 here yesterday
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

---- you guys are crazy ----

in Oklahoma, we are having a cold winter too tonight it was 12 degrees coming in. Before you guys call me a Nancy-boy, just remember that normal winter apparel in Oklahoma is a pair of jeans and a Carrhartt jacket -- perfect for 30 degree weather if you're moving.

A few days ago, i wore the same jeans and Carhartt jacket, but instead of my tony Llama's, i wore some Danner Ft Lewis boots with thick socks, UnderArmour brand long underwear under my jeans, 2 layers of UnderArmour up top plus a sweatshirt -- then topped that off with Carrhart jacket, stocking cap and nice gloves

driving around in my Jeep ( a vehicle known for having a pretty strong heater) --- i was still cold . I have never been more miserable in my life (well, in the last 10 years that is -- i experienced nasty cold in the Army years ago)

Okies and Texans are not acclimatized to the weather we are having and there are a lot of stories out there just like mine -- and its snowing again
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Stretch,

It was almost that cold here a week or so ago. That same day it was 42 below in Jackman but that was with a little breeze.

OldWin
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jack lowest Ive seen here is 55 below its 0 now any calves that are born tonight I have to dry them and wrap their ears or I end up with calves with bear ears even in the calving sheds its tough coming into the world on a night like that. danny
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Seems like the whole nation is getting at least a taste of winter this year. Usually we'll get two to three weeks of subzero weather. Only had like a week and a half below zero in December. It's actually been to warm. Frost hasn't lifted out of the ground but it warms up during the day and sits on top. Makes for some serious muck. And usually our subzero weather has been in February. Stay warm guys. It's on the short side of spring can't last to much longer.
Old Law Dawg
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Al Gore had the nerve to go on tv the other day and say all the snow this year was due to global warming. What a crock, it is 5 degrees here and it snowed 6" again last night. I suppose our -13 wind chill is also due to global warming. Hate to see my electric bill at the end of the month. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I love it when it's -40, but it was only -12 here this am.

But when it's -40 it's still -40 whether you are Euro, Canuk or Yank... :twisted:

(Of course, if you are Down Under & it's -40... well... you know the cyclone got you and you are in hell ;) )
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I sure feel bad for those of you that must deal with the cold. I have never had to deal with real cold as some of you do in other parts of the country. We deal with the heat in summer, but have mild winters. Our weather is calling for a low of 40 today.
Be safe and keep warm,

Dave B
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is cold. since you mentioned JR, how are things with his family and his wife. they remain in my prayers
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

NOW I know why all of you guys are hanging out on the board! With the exception of Streetstar, Rusty & Dave B., it look like all you fellas live where the sun don't shine, the wind blows, and your close to the Northlands :D

What do you boys run in your cars/trucks/jeeps in the way of anti-freeze? Here in S.E.Pa, a 50-50 mix is fine.

I tell 'ya, after listening to your "cold" stories, I'm a real pansy.

There's one thing about livin' in the North---whenever I'm in Colorado and reading in the paper, I see most people live well into their 80's. :D

Mike J.--thanks for the inquiry about Cynthia. She's a gal that has the strength of 10 men. She's holding her own---its been a year now, and your prayers are working.---Thanks guys :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm glad I live down south! :shock:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Arrived at the closest airport to home last night just before midnight from Key West, could have stayed another day in Key West but dern it was HOT, like 80-81 degrees! Anyway, the couple next to me had just barely made their plane in Jamaica, had to have their hotel forward their luggage. To make a long story short, they both were in tank tops, shorts and flip flops (back when I was younger they were called thongs, when did that change?). They were both middle age, but the lady was hugely endowed and not using any additional material for support. When the cabin door was popped open in Wisconsin, I swear to God the gent sitting in front of the lady thought he was hit by two bullets in the back! The cabin temperature dropped unbelievably fast...the outside ambient temperature was -11F and from the physical reaction that occurred on that lady, it was all of that.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Global warming, my butt. I've gone through a lot of fire wood already and we still have two more months of burning. On the bright side, I don't sneeze as much and there aren't any bugs out. Fair trade I say. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom