CCI mini mags no more!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

CCI mini mags no more!

Post by Nath »

No more I buy that is!

I just drilled a large dog fox through the spine at 50yds+ with the 9422 and he crawled off.

Ok through the spine is to be expected. I watched with the flash light as he crawled off and I headed around down wind to cut him off.

When I found him I got down to say 25yds and put one into the front chest as he faced me, he went down and then tried getting up again! The third round went into his left shoulder side on, still not going down I moved closer. At ten yds I put the fourth in his head as he stared at me the poor bugger.

These mini mags ain't expanding! Eley HV from now on!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Re: CCI mini mags no more!

Post by centershot »

Nath, I'm not surprised at this if you were using solids, were you using HP's?
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Winchester PowerPoints! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Get yourself one of Paco's Acu'rzr tools. If you're using MiniMag solids then I'm not too surprised at the results. Hollow point them and you'll get better results. On the other hand, an old german I knew swore by the MiniMags as the best feral water buffalo round out of a 22 resolver and for treed jaguar as well. Obviously head shots only, but his experience was that nothing else would penetrate like they would into the skull.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Never had a Mini-Mag of any design fail me, but there was the time I had a pony-sized jack-rabbit on the run, shot in 3 of his legs and he was still tryin' to get away. I count that more as poor shot placement on my part because he was moving pretty fast.

When I walked up on him he started that gawd-awful squallin' noise they make and I didn't have the heart to shoot him again, so I hit him on the head with the butt of my rifle.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I like the stingers and velocitors, in 22 LR, Im a fan of the 5mm mag also, dont know your laws but if limited to rimfire, I would get a 5mm mag, if centerfire and noise isnt a problem I would grab my 17 remington, the 17 remmy is very fur friendly
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They was HP!

The first shot placement was the fault. But the followups were killing shots!

I was surprised that it looked as though I was going to have to wait untill next week for it to die!

Funny thing is CCI sub sonic with the same bullet (no longer made) allways worked and recovered bullets would be fully expanded.

It is interesting that Paul say's some one got good penertration with these over others, I wonder if they are made a little harder!

Eley next time, them soft lead slugs allways open :D
azzhandler wrote:I like the stingers and velocitors, in 22 LR, Im a fan of the 5mm mag also, dont know your laws but if limited to rimfire, I would get a 5mm mag, if centerfire and noise isnt a problem I would grab my 17 remington, the 17 remmy is very fur friendly
If I had loads of cash I would get me a 9422M tomorrow.

Lets not forget shooting at night with a flash light in one hand and rifle resting on top of arm :? I have dropped plenty with just 22 LR this way for years.

Till next time,,,,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Maybe that FOX just had a strong desire to live! :D
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Don't feel 2 bad about the fox vs. mini mag thing. I've seen 2 fox, one hit with a .243 and one with a .223, that both ran and crawled a bit after being hit to far back. One got away to a hole 200 yards away. As for the chest shot you're really looking more at the limitations of the .22LR but the fact is that most chest shot critters don't DRT unless severely over matched buy the rifle. I've seen deer hit with a 12ga. slug take minutes to expire. Yes, if you chest shoot fox and coyotes with a centerfire they will be DRT most of the time (some not though) but most centerfires transmit a heck of a lot more shock than needed on a 12-35lbs critter.

As for whether or not HP MiniMags expand....they do and I've seen 100's of skinned coon to prove it. But a high power HP .22LR just doesn't have much shock power on anything larger than a rabbit. We use Velocitors on called coon now and they are without a doubt better and not far behind the .22M in the damage department. Still, with Velocitors and .22M's we still get runners on chest shot coon, some make it back to the hole. For the most part, if you want "reliable and consistent" DRT on anything larger than a bunny you need more than a rimfire or to be a good (i.e. patient) enough shot for CNS hits.

As for it's suffering......it still died pretty quick IMO even if it did take 3 shots. Not like it ran off and suffered for a couple hours. The fact is if ya hunt much you're gonna wound some and follow up shots may be needed regardless of how much gun you use.

LK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't think I've ever killed a groundhog first shot with a .22 LR., unless of course it was a good head shot. :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Nath, I'm very surprised at your results with the Mini-mag HP's! They have always worked well for me, they're my favorite load for my .22 rf rifles. I've used RWS ans S-K subsonic HP's also, VERY accurate and absolutely deadly, but a bit pricey! I'm sure the Eley subsonic HP's will work well for you! Good shooting!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nath Aguila makes a 40 gr @ 1450 fps and a 30 gr @ 1750 fps in HP and solid in LR I believe they are copper plated they might work for you. Ive never had good luck with HP they dont penetrate on anything bigger than a house cat. danny
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

I've hit ground squirrls with .22 short hp and blew chunks out and still had to hit them again. Man can those things tear things up fast!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Nath, I use the CCI subsonic HP and find it easily. Is it a newer version than the one you mentioned? The hp is large. I have only used it on squirrels tho but with decisive success. I will also add that I bought 50 rounds of the CCI subsonic fragmented hp's and have shot a large woodchuck through the chest for a DRT drop at about 55 yards. I only got a single exit tho so can't confirm that it broke up as advertised. Also I have a gentlemens farm in a area as rural has Connecticut gets and every jerk who decides they no longer wants there cat drops them off. Last fall I had a very large Tomcat show up who started terrorizing our 5 barn cats. One shot with the fragmented hp to the upper heart at 35-40 yards. He jumped,ran 20 feet and dropped. I have shot many fox and he was has big as most of them. Have you tried them?
Ed
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Don't feel 2 bad about the fox vs. mini mag thing. I've seen 2 fox, one hit with a .243 and one with a .223, that both ran and crawled a bit after being hit to far back. One got away to a hole 200 yards away. As for the chest shot you're really looking more at the limitations of the .22LR but the fact is that most chest shot critters don't DRT unless severely over matched buy the rifle. I've seen deer hit with a 12ga. slug take minutes to expire. Yes, if you chest shoot fox and coyotes with a centerfire they will be DRT most of the time (some not though) but most centerfires transmit a heck of a lot more shock than needed on a 12-35lbs critter.

As for whether or not HP MiniMags expand....they do and I've seen 100's of skinned coon to prove it. But a high power HP .22LR just doesn't have much shock power on anything larger than a rabbit. We use Velocitors on called coon now and they are without a doubt better and not far behind the .22M in the damage department. Still, with Velocitors and .22M's we still get runners on chest shot coon, some make it back to the hole. For the most part, if you want "reliable and consistent" DRT on anything larger than a bunny you need more than a rimfire or to be a good (i.e. patient) enough shot for CNS hits.

As for it's suffering......it still died pretty quick IMO even if it did take 3 shots. Not like it ran off and suffered for a couple hours. The fact is if ya hunt much you're gonna wound some and follow up shots may be needed regardless of how much gun you use.

LK
I couldn't agree more LK. Seen it myself.
EdinCT wrote:Nath, I use the CCI subsonic HP and find it easily. Is it a newer version than the one you mentioned? The hp is large. I have only used it on squirrels tho but with decisive success. I will also add that I bought 50 rounds of the CCI subsonic fragmented hp's and have shot a large woodchuck through the chest for a DRT drop at about 55 yards. I only got a single exit tho so can't confirm that it broke up as advertised. Also I have a gentlemens farm in a area as rural has Connecticut gets and every jerk who decides they no longer wants there cat drops them off. Last fall I had a very large Tomcat show up who started terrorizing our 5 barn cats. One shot with the fragmented hp to the upper heart at 35-40 yards. He jumped,ran 20 feet and dropped. I have shot many fox and he was has big as most of them. Have you tried them?
Ed
I use to use the old CCI subi all the time, it was a favourite of mine. The new one with out the copper wash are very good too however hardley anyone stocks them around here. The new fragmenter i have read about but don't see them.

Mostly Eley are stocked around here and as I have said I get very good results.

It must be said that what ever I shoot out of my 9422 it seems to shoot tight groups with however Winchester ammo has seemed inconsistant recently. Some one I know did say they have improved to how they were years ago etc.

I have had plenty of DRT from my 22s with all sorts of hp ammo mostly CCI! Thats why I was surprised about this instant. If Mr fox had not thrashed in some mud I would of dug deeper to see what happened.

My best CCI shot must of been over 15years ago with a Krico bolt 22. Around 150 paces on a sitting facing fox. Trotted 15yds and fell over.

Might be a different story on another night.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

FWiedner wrote:Never had a Mini-Mag of any design fail me, but there was the time I had a pony-sized jack-rabbit on the run, shot in 3 of his legs and he was still tryin' to get away. I count that more as poor shot placement on my part because he was moving pretty fast.

When I walked up on him he started that gawd-awful squallin' noise they make and I didn't have the heart to shoot him again, so I hit him on the head with the butt of my rifle.

Never tried "leg" shoot-em. :) :)
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

There's a ton of bullets better suited for fox, for the WMR, that are WAY better than the 40gr mini mag. Try the TNT 30gr varmint, ot the TNT green, if you can get them. A fox is a light skinned animal, bout like shooting a rabbit, or house cat :o .

Put one of thos 30gr varmint loads into the chest area and watch him drop like a sack of potatos. The 40gr is better on something like a coyote, for a shoulder shot. That will easily break the shoulder, and give excellent expansion into the lungs.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:Never had a Mini-Mag of any design fail me, but there was the time I had a pony-sized jack-rabbit on the run, shot in 3 of his legs and he was still tryin' to get away. I count that more as poor shot placement on my part because he was moving pretty fast.

Yeah that's terrible isn't it? Absolutely floored me the first time I heard it!! :shock:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nath, have you tried CCI Stingers or Velocitors?

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The only rifle I had any joy with Stingers was a Rem 597. They are a potent round and years ago I took a fox or two with them.

Not many folk store them here. Most folk just want subbies for rabbit and moderators :roll:

Years ago I used Yellow Jackets for a while, they were pretty good!

Can you remember what the solid alternative to the Yellow Jacket was called for an exrta 10 points? :)

I remember using Winchester xpeditors, I think they were their copper washed short bullet (30grn) on a longrifle case.

Then Federal were making a 33grn hyper with next to no HP and I just did not get on with them!

I will stick with the standard stuff, all this hyper stuff is good but to be honest I have taken more stuff with standard ammo and gotten consistant good accuracy so,,,,

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Not sure but the solid yellow jacket type bullet may of been called Vipers but its been a long time.
Ed
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

EdinCT wrote:Not sure but the solid yellow jacket type bullet may of been called Vipers but its been a long time.
Ed

I'm going of memory too and I think you are correct, 10 points to you Ed :D

N. :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!