OT - Pulled my stands, checked my cameras today...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Pulled my stands, checked my cameras today...

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Pulled everything down. Haven't checked the cameras for a couple weeks, got some surprises.

Good little buck, glad he made it thru season.

Another good little buck, already dropped one antler.

A couple of really young bucks, look like they're weathering well.

Still after this guy and his buddies.

First cat pic since 06, they're sneaky...

Something wrong with this doe in the middle. Have you guys ever seen something like this.? Her conditioning isn't good, looks like she's losing some hair and has a scar down her neck. Look closely in the last 2 pics, her tongue is hanging out. I think she either got hit by a car that did some damage to her jaw, or a poacher slung a bullet and hit her in the head somewhere, but I don't see a wound. A poacher gut shot a fawn a few weeks ago in a wheat field about 400 yards away and left it to rot. Poachers are the lowest form of lifeform. Hope she makes it.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Pulled my stands, checked my cameras today...

Post by RKrodle »

Nice pics. That doe with the tongue hanging out, I seem to recall that it is a condition/disease but can't remember what it's called.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What are the things on those trees...?
What are they.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

AJMD429 wrote:What are the things on those trees...?
Homemade Beaver Deterrent..!

The deer are in an old Persimmon grove next to this pond. The trees are very old, sizable and produce really well, I'd hate to lose them. A couple years ago, beavers had eaten all the soft trees in the area and started cutting down the persimmons trees. I cut up some lengths of thin walled stove pipe and wrapped it around them. On some others I wrapped chicken wire. The beavers wont mess with the wrapped trees and I haven't lost a single one after I covered them.
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great pictures!
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My BIL loaned me an old camera. So far I have a dozen pics of me pouring out corn chops and two or three dozen of deer eyes glowing in the dark :lol:
I saw a healthy doe and fawn in the yard the other day. Looked like someone had been feeding them corn for a month or two. :D

Also crows, squirrels, and dove. I'm surprised they haven't sent me a post card since I've not been consistent the past few days.

Thanks for the pics.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

What model of camera is that?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Where i live the deer are protected (being inside a city) so at work surrounded by light forest it's not unusual to see deer moving through the treeline. Last night standing in the parking lot on the phone a herd of five does moved across our parking lot headed to another field. :) Kind of brazen even for them where they know there's no hunters.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Nice, looks like your managing your wildlife well! Not to turn this in to an AG how to but have you been able to propagate the Persimmon’s? I have a tree that fruits well but I can not get any of the seeds to grow. The tree is very old, looks like the original tree died and this came up from a root. But here in Indiana I think it’s very hard for them.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

RKrodle wrote:Nice pics. That doe with the tongue hanging out, I seem to recall that it is a condition/disease but can't remember what it's called.
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.main
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

casastahle wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Nice pics. That doe with the tongue hanging out, I seem to recall that it is a condition/disease but can't remember what it's called.
I doubt it...camera just caught here licking her chops.....

great pics....

really miss out on hunting this past year...and collecting pics from the stealth cam..
making a trip to the woods to check cameras is almost like Xmas morning!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
casastahle wrote:
I doubt it...camera just caught here licking her chops.....
That's what I thought at first, but you can see it hanging out in every picture of her, not just the one. Looks like she couldn't eat if it was hanging like that all the time and you would think she would perish soon.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the pics. I agree the doe isn't just licking her chops and the camera caught her. The toungues out in all the pictures. Somethings wrong. CWD, I don't know.
Old Law Dawg
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

There is a disease called "blue tongue", but i don't know that it makes the tongue do that. It does drive the deer to water. On the other hand, I know a guy who has a dog with some sort of defect in it's tongue and it hangs out of the dog's mouth in a very similar manner. It is pretty creepy to be around the dog with that tongue flopping around like that. Possibly just a birth defect or injury.

Kevin
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

It's called Bluetongue (one word) virus, and can raise havoc with some ruminants, including deer. I've been told it did serious damage to the deer population here in Arkansas a few decades back (the seventies, I believe.) If this deer did have the condition, it's probably dead now.

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia regarding the symptoms:
Symptoms
Infected sheep.
A domestic yak infected with bluetongue virus. Tongue is swollen, cyanotic, and protruding from the mouth.Major signs are high fever, excessive salivation, swelling of the face and tongue and cyanosis of the tongue. Swelling of the lips and tongue gives the tongue its typical blue appearance, though this sign is confined to a minority of the animals. Nasal symptoms may be prominent, with nasal discharge and stertorous respiration.

Some animals also develop foot lesions, beginning with coronitis, with consequent lameness. In sheep, this can lead to knee-walking. In cattle, constant changing of position of the feet gives bluetongue the nickname The Dancing Disease.[18] Torsion of the neck (opisthotonos or torticollis) is observed in severely affected animals.

Not all animals develop symptoms, but all those that do lose condition rapidly, and the sickest die within a week. For affected animals which do not die, recovery is very slow, lasting several months.

The incubation period is 5–20 days, and all symptoms usually develop within a month. The mortality rate is normally low, but it is high in susceptible breeds of sheep. In Africa, local breeds of sheep may have no mortality, but in imported breeds it may be up to 90 percent.[19]

In cattle, goats and wild ruminants infection is usually asymptomatic despite high virus levels in blood. Red deer are an exception, and in them the disease may be as acute as in sheep.[20]
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

chadbr wrote:What model of camera is that?
Those were taken with 3 cameras. An old 1.3mp Stealth cam, a Bushnell 5mp Trophy Cam, and a Cuddeback NoFlash.
Bob Winchester wrote:Not to turn this in to an AG how to but have you been able to propagate the Persimmon’s? I have a tree that fruits well but I can not get any of the seeds to grow. The tree is very old, looks like the original tree died and this came up from a root. But here in Indiana I think it’s very hard for them.
Honestly Bob, I don't know. I've got a few persimmon groves on the place I hunt that produce. All of the trees are old. It's deceptive, because the persimmon trees around here grow very slowly and mature at around 20 ft. I would guess that the fruiting trees I've got are 50 years old or more. I also got groves of persimmons that produce ZILCH..! I don't know what to think. I kinda think that the trees might be sexed, so only the female trees produce fruit. That's the only way I can explain the numerous trees I've got that don't produce. I would think they'd grow in Indiana, they're a pretty hardy tree. Don't know how to get the seeds to grow,..you might try running them thru a coon or coyote. I know they munch on them and leave the remains everywhere..
casastahle wrote: Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
I don't think it's CWD, there hasn't been a documented case in wild animals in OK, but not that it couldn't happen. I'm leaning more towards being hit by a vehicle. One side of her looks normal, the other side some of the hair is messed up like it might have hit a vehicle grill. I put a camera back out, I'm going to try to get some more pics.
Mac in Mo wrote:There is a disease called "blue tongue", but i don't know that it makes the tongue do that. It does drive the deer to water. On the other hand, I know a guy who has a dog with some sort of defect in it's tongue and it hangs out of the dog's mouth in a very similar manner. It is pretty creepy to be around the dog with that tongue flopping around like that. Possibly just a birth defect or injury.
I hope it's not BlueTongue. I hope she's just unique. I'll keep an eye out and see if the deer numbers start decreasing or if I start finding dead ones. Hopefully that won't happen.
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Thirst.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've heard of deer with their tongues hanging out before. Some folks say it's a sign of CWD. It could also be from nerve damage of some kind.