Winchester 1895 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beamy85
Levergunner

Winchester 1895 30-06

Post by Beamy85 »

just picked up a new Miroku built 95 in 30-06. Not much info out there on these. Aside from the rebounding hammer and dumb tang safety this sucker is gorgeous looking, depending on how much snow we get and how cold it is up here tomorrow I'll try it out

Any of y'all have any, how do they shoot?

Any issues with this rifle that I need to be aware of?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 1895 30-06

Post by J Miller »

Beamy85 wrote:just picked up a new Miroku built 95 in 30-06. Not much info out there on these. Aside from the rebounding hammer and dumb tang safety this sucker is gorgeous looking, depending on how much snow we get and how cold it is up here tomorrow I'll try it out

Any of y'all have any, how do they shoot?

Any issues with this rifle that I need to be aware of?
Beamy85,
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have one, but several guys here have the Miroku built 95s and love them. I've yet to hear of any real complaints.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I bought one of the take down models when they came out a few years ago. I put an AO front sight on it and a williams receiver sight. It will shoot a mag full of any 180gr ammo inside 2" at 100yds.
Beamy85
Levergunner

Post by Beamy85 »

SFRanger7GP wrote:I bought one of the take down models when they came out a few years ago. I put an AO front sight on it and a williams receiver sight. It will shoot a mag full of any 180gr ammo inside 2" at 100yds.
cool, I'm kicking around putting a Lyman reciever sight or tang sight on mine. Glad to hear these rifles can shoot pretty well. I've got some M2 ball ammo right now for my Garand, so that's what I'll try in it first
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have the Browning version from the 80's . Mine has a short throat. It will shot MOA with the right load.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Browning Mod 95 in 30-06, it has a Williams Receiver sight. I believe it is my most accurate lever I own. They are very nice rifles. I've had no issues or problem's with mine. Miriko makes a very nice product (albeit a bit pricey) Good luck with your's
Karl
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the range report and pictures. I purchased a high-grade from a fellow levergunner here several years ago. NIB and never fired. Been waiting for my son to get old enough/big enough to christen it. 2011 will be the year!

Welcome to the fire!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Been waiting for my son to get old enough/big enough to christen it. 2011 will be the year!
Well, I don't know what to say, but "Thanks, Dad!"

Will you adopt me? :D
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Been waiting for my son to get old enough/big enough to christen it. 2011 will be the year!

Can't afford the two I've got!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Here' my Winchester 95 in 30-06 - given to me by my wife about 6 years ago for our 25th anniversary -

Good looks and a sweet shooter. I zeroed the sights to hit point of aim at 25 yards and "fine-tuned" it to hit about 2" above point of aim at 100 yards -

Shooting with a "fist rest on table at the range -

The only "issue" I've encountered is I have to stop shooting regularly when other shooters stop to admire it - you all know how bad that can be.

LOVE IT !!!
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
kimwcook wrote:

Can't afford the two I've got!
Dad, I'll take seconds. I'm not picky. :mrgreen:
Old Law Dawg
Beamy85
Levergunner

Post by Beamy85 »

just got back from shhoting it, with 10 deg temps and two feet of snow I wasn't out long. At around 50yds I'm at about an inch with M2 ball. I could do better but I'm chalking it up to cold weather, and not having shot anything in about two months.

Great riifle to say the least though, I'm thinking hard about a peep sight of some type, noot sure which route to go yet
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

How is the action on these guns? Does the rebounding hammer cause it to lever hard and bumpy like the 94AE's?
Beamy85
Levergunner

Post by Beamy85 »

farmer44mag wrote:How is the action on these guns? Does the rebounding hammer cause it to lever hard and bumpy like the 94AE's?
pretty smooth actually, not bumpy or hard at all
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a beat up old original .30 Govt '06 carbine that doesn't look like much, but is hell on wheels accurate. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I've have a newer saddle ring carbine version in 06. Seriously thinking of hacking 3" of the barrell to make it handier in the brush. The new HORNANDY superfusion? ammo claims only a 14 fps velocity loss per inch in a shorter barrell. Would big game notice 42 fps less velocity? :wink:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have 3. A pair of carbines - 30-06 and 30-40 and a case colored takedown rifle in 30-06. They shoot great. The only thing that I'd like to change is the blade on the carbine front sight. Its hard to pickup, thinking of movint to a black sight instead of the brass.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned three 95's. The first one was a Top tang safety, rebounding hammer model in .270 win. I had a little trouble with it, on feeding, it went down the gun trader's road, I don't even remember when or where or who got it. Later I purchased another with a matte finish in 30-06 this one was more accurate then the .270 was, and very reliable, but I sold it to my brother in law, after stumbling onto an older Browning 30-06 without the top tang safety or rebounding hammer.

This one is definately a keeper for me, as it's very accurate, and I replaced the flat steel butt plate with a nice recoil pad, and added a Williams receiver sight to it. It's also smoother operating then the other two were. I would hate to cut the barrel on this, as it shoots so good, and they are getting harder to find, but if I stumbled onto another Browning I might buy it, and make a shorter carbine out of it. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a Miroku 95 in 405 Winchester. I love it. And even though I've got 49 year old eyes that are in the process of making "the change", I can still see the sights on this rifle just fine. When I no longer can, I will install one of the Pacific Tool Lyman copies - as I've done on my original 1895 chambered for 30 US. Here's a slow-mo video of me shooting my Miroku off-hand at 50 yards, rapid fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMY7BOIT2I

This is one rifle that I will be keeping.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!