Need a little help with my Marlin.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Need a little help with my Marlin.

Post by TravisM »

I was stupid and admit it.

I bought a Marlin 1894 and read online that it had a plug you could take out to get three extra rounds in. Well I loosened the barrel bands and pulled the loading tube out only to find it didn't have the plug. (Mine had the short barrel. :oops: I should've known better.)

I put everything back together, but the loading barrel still a little loose. It's not spinning freely or any thing. It's just not tight like it came.

What are the proper steps in fixing this?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Need a little help with my Marlin.

Post by AJMD429 »

TravisM wrote:I put everything back together, but the loading barrel still a little loose.
By 'loading barrel' do you mean the magazine tube...?

If that's the case, it should be prevented from rotating by the screw in the barrel band.
  • There are two kinds of barrel-bands - the 'front' ones out towards the front sight, and the additional 'rear' ones the .357's for example have that are a 'band' around the square/raw-wood-ended forend (the other forend hardware is the 'cap' type like the .44's have).

Both barrel-bands have the screw go 'in-between' the barrel and the magazine tube, with notches in the magazine tube and/or barrel cut so that the magazine tube can't slide forward, or really rotate much.

The 'rear' barrel-band screw on mine is threaded by the head, but has a long thinner unthreaded rod that penetrates the forend and goes 'in' the shallow groove/notch of the magazine tube. THOSE screws are somewhat notorious for breakage, so if the 'tip' isn't showing through the far side of the band, that could be the problem. If your gun has a 'cap' instead of a rear 'band', that doesn't apply, as the screws merely affix the cap to a forend hanger that rides in a barrel dovetail, and there isn't any notching that I know of there in the magazine tube.
There is sometimes a 'little bit' of play, rotation-wise, in mine once properly assembled.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

TravisM wrote:I was stupid and admit it.

I bought a Marlin 1894 and read online that it had a plug you could take out to get three extra rounds in. Well I loosened the barrel bands and pulled the loading tube out only to find it didn't have the plug. (Mine had the short barrel. :oops: I should've known better.)

I put everything back together, but the loading barrel still a little loose. It's not spinning freely or any thing. It's just not tight like it came.

What are the proper steps in fixing this?
Travis, the plug you refer to is usually found in shotguns. It's to limit the magazine capacity to comply with hunting regs. As mentioned above, check the screw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

Thanks guys.

The front barrel band was loose by a quarter turn. I torqued it down and she's right as rain.

Thanks again. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

P.S. - you weren't "stupid"...
  • a. You were checking the options/limits on your gun to maximize its potential
    b. You at least got it back together properly
    c. You asked for advice instead of doing what I usually do...

(...spraying it with WD-40, hitting it with a hammer, swearing, and scratching it with a screwdriver, followed optionally by losing the hardest-to-replace small part... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

:lol:

Thanks. I needed that.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

AJMD429 wrote:P.S. - you weren't "stupid"...

(...spraying it with WD-40, hitting it with a hammer, swearing, and scratching it with a screwdriver, followed optionally by losing the hardest-to-replace small part... :lol: )
I'm sure nobody here has ever done that. :roll: :oops:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

eric65 wrote:

I'm sure nobody here has ever done that. :roll: :oops:
Nope, never. :oops:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Travis,

Do not feel stupid. While I have not heard of Marlin rifles having a limiter, a whole slew of Rossi-built Model 92s have them. I took out mine ( a short, plastic rod; Rossi/ EMF Model 92, .357 Magnum) , and ground down the stud that was on the magazine plug (the plastic rod screwed to the magazine plug). Rossi put the limiter in there to comply with a 10-round limit that some states have.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 on both (not being stupid... and what I usually do) :oops:
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

When I bought my 1894c used, it would only take 4 rounds. I took it apart and took a piece of dowel out of the magazine. I doubt it was factory, just someone that misunderstood the big game rules. The 5 round limit is only for removable box magazines not integral ones, even if semi auto. It does apply to aftermarket, so no 30 rounders on the SKS for big game hunting.

Sounds like the problem has been fixed, enjoy your rifle.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith