OT: Just Invented a New Recipe for Backstraps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Just Invented a New Recipe for Backstraps

Post by Haycock »

I took a really fat meat-doe around Thanksgiving with my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20g... used Remmy AccuTip 3" sabot slugs (260 grains at 1900fps)... DRT at 53 yards... the shot broke both shoulders and lodged under the hide on the far side... fully "petalled" with one petal missing... this was the same doe that I had chased all through archery season... saw her 3 different times and she was always out of range...

Anyway, we (wife, kids, etc.) had the backstraps for dinner last night and I invented a new recipe for them that turned out REALLY well and I figured I'd share it with the forum.

Its always challenging making steak at my house as my wife likes hers medium well, my younger daughter likes hers medium rare and my older daughter and I like ours quite rare... timing gets tricky, especially with thick cuts.

These backstraps were about 2.5" thick, with some variation as you would expect. They came out of the doe and went straight into the freezer after being cleaned and having all facia/silverskin removed. When I cooked them I did so with zero prep (marinading, etc.) other than defrosting.

This recipe yielded some of the best steak I've ever had... venison or beef. Now, I like a really rare piece of meat but one that is a little burned on the outside, and as stated above I needed to deliver a range of "done".

So:

1) Heat an iron skillet to a high temp and coat it with a high burn-temp oil (like safflower)
2) Pan-sear each steak on both sides, for no more than 10 seconds a side
3) Cook the steaks on the second side for about a minute, brushing the tops repeatedly with red wine
4) Add 1/4 cup of red wine and cover the skillet
5) Cook on low to med-low heat for about 8-12 minutes (I cooked a skillet full of steaks about 2"-2.5" thick for 10 minutes)
6) Pre-heat a second iron skillet per #1 (high temp, oil-coated, etc.)
7) Remove the steaks and sear each on both sides a second time and to taste (more well done, blacker exterior, etc.)

Let me tell you...... mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Enjoy!

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Just Invented a New Recipe for Backstraps

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds really good. Although personally I won't eat any venison short of well done. I do love rare beef though. In fact when I was a youngster and hanging around the kitchen while supper was being made, starving as any boy is at that time of day, my mom would hand me raw trimmings. I was eating steak tartare and didn't even know it. :D
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sounds good. Enjoy mine med. rare, juicy and nicely charred on the outside for flavor.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I cook alot of venison tenderloin and regardless of how I choose to prepare it NONE is cooked more then medium rare .

When I was a kid my grandfather would grill it with beef steaks and over cook it until it was dry .

Now I tend to do it in a frying pan cooking in the marinade I used . And now I pull it out when I think it isn't quite cooked enough and it seems to work wonders so far .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

I like to cook sliced back strap in a black iron frying pan using bacon grease and a little Soy Sauce. Wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill aint bad either.
C&L
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

6pt-sika wrote:I cook alot of venison tenderloin and regardless of how I choose to prepare it NONE is cooked more then medium rare .

When I was a kid my grandfather would grill it with beef steaks and over cook it until it was dry .

Now I tend to do it in a frying pan cooking in the marinade I used . And now I pull it out when I think it isn't quite cooked enough and it seems to work wonders so far .
I do the same... vension seems to cook itself after coming off the heat more than beef, and there seems to be a "turning point" where it goes from juicy to dry really, really quickly that beef doesn't suffer from.

Hay
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice and seared on outside, and so it just got hot in the middle. Butter will give you that dark brown sear without over cooking. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV