OT - unless someone has a levergun in .338 Lapua

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - unless someone has a levergun in .338 Lapua

Post by AJMD429 »

Anyone reload for the .338 Lapua? Just curious as to what size dies/press is required; the dies I see from Redding, RCBS, Lyman, etc. don't say anything special about threads, but the Lee Factory Crimp die for .338 Lapua says 1-1/4x12 threaded die, which means it would fit the cast-part of a Rockchucker press.

I figure I'll likely never spring for a .50 BMG due to the fact that I could buy several nice leverguns for the cost of the most basic .50, which would be nothing more than a 'toy' (not that 'toys' are bad, mind you :wink: ), but was drooling over a used .338-378 Weatherby a few weeks ago, and got to wondering about the 'African' level of .338's as far as reloading equipment goes. If I could reload such a beast with relatively normal equipment, it could be some fun shooting! For both recoil and accuracy purposes, I think I'd want a heavy barrel on such a firearm, and the Lapua seems to be chambered in more heavy barreled guns, vs. the Weatherby and .338 RUM, so maybe if it doesn't require all new reloading equipment, I'd consider the Lapua...

(Plus...we have a really bad feral cat problem down at the barn lately... :shock: :lol: :roll: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - unless someone has a levergun in .338 Lapua

Post by jjames »

I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338-378. I find the recoil to be very tolerable. I would rather shoot that than slugs out of a 12 ga or max black powder loads behind a mini ball in my TC 50 cal Hawkens. Dillion says my 550 can handle reloading the 338-378.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Any significant diff in brass costs?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Any significant diff in brass costs?

Oly
From what I've seen there is more variation in price (and sources) for .338 Lapua brass, and it often reloads more times (lots of variables there, no doubt, as to guns, loads, technique, and not just the cartridge), but has been episodically hard to get. On the other hand, if I got such a beast, I doubt I'd be going through thousands or rounds a year, unless I win a lottery ticket.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I love to shoot ---- but even saying that , my lowly .300 WBY mag :o only gets a box or two through it a year.

The .338 looks to me like a 300 on steroids, -------------- if i popped coin for a .50 (yes, i've considered that too) -- i would probably shoot it more than the .338. Something about being top of the food chain maybe.

I look at the .50 as a big WIN -- and the .338 just another oversized Elk cartridge that has caught the attention of the long distance guys.

My results with a 338 would probably be the same as my .300. (but thats just me and my personality )
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:I look at the .50 as a big WIN -- and the .338 just another oversized Elk cartridge that has caught the attention of the long distance guys.
My biggest 'other' cartridges are 30-06 and .444 Marlin, so I figured I'd look at what high-ballistic-coefficient bullets were out there, and for whatever reason, the .338 caliber is "it", probably because the military promised big purchases to the bullet-makers. If the .358 bullets were available in 0.7 or greater b.c.'s, I'd rather make a custom bull-barrel .358 BOS Magnum.

If I were to step up to the 'king' .50 BMG, not only the cost per shot would be huge, but then I'd start thinking why didn't I get one of these:
NTW-20.jpg
It fires a 20mm round that makes the .50 BMG look mediocre in comparison:
223-338-50-20mm.jpg
http://www.vincelewis.net/20mm.html

I guess powerful firearms are like money - no matter what you have, you think about having more... :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:[
I guess powerful firearms are like money - no matter what you have, you think about having more... :twisted:

Aint that the truth :lol: --- The big .50 has no useful purpose to me but i want one anyway ---- would have bought one of the BOHICA uppers for my AR, but the tales of out-of battery detonation problems on some of the "budget .50's" has me thinking i have to have a Barrett or at the least, an Armalite for peace of mind (hey, its my face and forearm y'know -- whats another 3 grand compared to plastic surgery bills )

Barrett makes an awesome .338 too (but then again, so does Savage) --- i just like Ronnie Barrett's style on some things (political )
----- Doug
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

My little brother shoots and reloads for his 338 Lapua. Standard thread dies and they work in his single stage rockchucker, His dies also work in my Lee Turret press. He does not hotrod his loads, his brass requires trimming but is lasting a long time.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

samb wrote:My little brother shoots and reloads for his 338 Lapua. Standard thread dies and they work in his single stage rockchucker, His dies also work in my Lee Turret press. He does not hotrod his loads, his brass requires trimming but is lasting a long time.
I realize that the Lapua brass is more variable in capacity than most, so one lots 'starting' load may exceed another lots 'safe' load, but I'd still be interested in what kind of loads he's using and what velocities he's attaining, if he'd share that information.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Darn it, now my want for a Barret .338 Lapua just started again. I don't need one, but that is not the point. I want one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Santa's sleigh dropped this off . . .

It's a .338 Lapua side-lever! 8)

Zel makes them - http://www.tactilite.com/ - along with .50 BMG ones, .416 Barrett ones, and .408 CheyTac ones.
Mine's the baby of the bunch. :lol:

Range report once I save up enough for a 10-round box of ammo ($59)... :?

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Doc, can't wait to see the range report on that one. :D
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WOW! Santa was good to you. :mrgreen:
I for sure want to see the range report on that. What is the barrel length?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:WOW! Santa was good to you. :mrgreen:
I for sure want to see the range report on that. What is the barrel length?
Here's the 'spec sheet' from Zel - http://www.tactilite.com/technical-data ... ducts.html

CalsSportingArmory specs:
  • •Upper Receiver, barrel extension and integrated Picatinny rail: CNC-machined from a single piece of 3" 4140 steel bar, hardened to approx. 42 Rock. C
    •Bolt head: 2-lug, CNC-machined from 4340 alloy steel, hardened to approx. 42 Rock. C
    •Bolt tube: CNC-machined from a single piece of 4130 tubing
    •Muzzle Brake: 8-port, fish-gill style
    •Heavy Duty Hammer: CNC-machined from 1018 steel, case-hardened
I got the 24" one from these guys - http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Zel_C ... u24338.htm

It is VERY well made, and I initially put it on a nice DPMS lower I had. In the meantime, I had gotten a 'spare' Rogilio lower at a local shop that I found had 'issues' in terms of pin holes undersized, magazine-release hole oversize, and bolt-catch hole undersize, plus threads for tube-extention needed heavily brushed to even begin to accept a stock-tube. Naturally, I opted to keep the DPMS with the original upper, and use the Rogelio as a 'dedicated' lower for the Zel, since as a bolt-action single shot, it doesn't use the magazine-release, bolt-catch, and the pin holes would be compensated for by using a JP 2-piece rear, and a screw-type front one (like the 'Colt' one only for std. 1/4"). So, an otherwise 'junk' lower actually found some use.

I used a steel Versa-pod (pricier than their normal aluminum ones) that has pivot and tilt locks, and topped it with a Millett Long Range Scope with 140 MOA vertical adjustment range. It's a really nice 35mm tube 56mm objective 6-25x scope and the most affordable of that type I could find - http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/

My son and I shot six rounds out of it last weekend, and there is NO recoil, but it is about as noisy as my politically-correct 'muzzle-braked' 20" AR-15 is (I need to replace the pinned-on muzzle brake with a pinned-on flash suppressor). Like the AR, the rear/side blast pretty much 'clears the table' of any debris, including loose brass, any writing materials, etc...

Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

DOC,
I have a Browning A-Bolt in 338 Win that I love to shoot.It VERY accurate at MOA or less at 100 yds. I shoot 200 and 225 gr Hdys most of the time. How does the Win round compare to the Lapua?
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sounds like a right solid rig. So my next question is are you going to use it for coyote control?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

Lat is one lovely looking 338. I have had a crush on 338s for years. I own a 338 win mag. It is wonderful I don't have any of the load data in front of me as it would be useless for your lapua. I have found the selection of bullets to be very good. I picked up some cheap speers and they are fun to plink with and with lower velocity I like hunting with them. the 200 grain are very accurate even though the bc is horrible. at full thottle they will shred a deer so I backed them off and save some of the meat.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Boreman wrote:DOC,
I have a Browning A-Bolt in 338 Win that I love to shoot.It VERY accurate at MOA or less at 100 yds. I shoot 200 and 225 gr Hdys most of the time. How does the Win round compare to the Lapua?

Ammoguide.com is a good resource for this stuff and reload data - here's a comparison of some of the .338 rounds...
http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it= ... c485%7c747

I don't know if you can access the 'visual comparison' if you're not a member ($18.95/yr I think), but this link might show it for you some other 338's...
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare. ... 1&xxglbl=1

The 338 Lapua, 338-378 Weatherby, and 338 Remington Ultra Magnum are all about as large a case as practical with the 338 bore. Too big for me to want to fire in a 'normal' gun, vs. the heavy Zel (must weigh nearly 20 lbs total).