OT Removing stains from stainless steel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

OT Removing stains from stainless steel

Post by 1886 »

I have a firearm with several small, black stains. I have no idea what caused the stains. They are not rust or pitting. The stains do look like they could have been caused by a perm. marker but this is just a guess. I tried min. spirits but that did not work. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Removing stains from stainless steel

Post by TedH »

Is it a polished, or a brushed finish on the metal?
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use break cleaner to get Sharpie and Magic Marker stains off of metal. If that don't get it off, it's not an ink stain.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I had the same issue with a Ruger single six. If you use a scotch brite paid, it will do wonders. Just go light
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I used "Never Dull" once on stainless to remove some tough powder stains but for ink, rubbing alcohol usually does the trick.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'm either different or lazy depending on your point of view. I clean my stainless guns after use, but if they pick up the odd discoloration, I don't bother with it. I figure it gives the finish a bit of "personality". Sorta like the way I like old leather with honest wear, as opposed to the look of shinney new leather.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Scotch Brite +2 - AFAIK, the different colors indicate differing grits/coarseness.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Forget the name of it but it is a cloth ( yellow ) impregnated with some kind of wax, think it might be " lead out ".
Works good on stainless.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

4-0 steel wool and 2+2
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Sixgun wrote:4-0 steel wool and 2+2
FWIW, I've heard that you should never use ordinary steel wool on stainless as bits of steel can embed in the stainless and subsequently rust.

Jack
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

jhrosier wrote:
Sixgun wrote:4-0 steel wool and 2+2
FWIW, I've heard that you should never use ordinary steel wool on stainless as bits of steel can embed in the stainless and subsequently rust.

Jack
Yep, first time it gets moist, you're gonna have reddish brown rust spots, or worse, it will bleed and leave streaks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Mescalero,the cloth you refer to is called "Lead Away cloth".I use it all the time.You can also cut patches from it to run thru the bore to remove lead.Just don't wanna use it on a blued firearm as it will remove the blueing.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

If it is a felt marker type ink, acetone should remove it. My son once left a marker in his pants pocket when he washed them. It came out of his pocket and the cap came off in the dryer. You can't imagine how happy the wife was!!! Acetone worked pretty good at taking the ink off.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

iceman wrote:If it is a felt marker type ink, acetone should remove it. My son once left a marker in his pants pocket when he washed them. It came out of his pocket and the cap came off in the dryer. You can't imagine how happy the wife was!!! Acetone worked pretty good at taking the ink off.
denatured alcohol should work as well for marker
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Stan in SC wrote:Mescalero,the cloth you refer to is called "Lead Away cloth".I use it all the time.You can also cut patches from it to run thru the bore to remove lead.Just don't wanna use it on a blued firearm as it will remove the blueing.

Stan in SC
Stan / Mescalero -
Will this cloth work well for cleaning after a session of moly coated bullets?
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

That is correct. Ordinary steel wool will leave tiny pieces of steel behind, imbedded in the Stainless. The bits of steel wool WILL rust, and can then cause the stainless touching it to rust to.

For what it's worth, there are many, many different alloys of Stainless Steel. The military refers to it as Corrosion Resistant steel. The definition of Stainless Steels are they all have at least 10 1/2%-11% Chromium in the alloy. It is the Chromium that gives the material its corrosion resistant properties. When exposed to atmospheric oxygen the Chromium forms a thin, colorless layer of Chromium Oxide. This Chromium Oxide layer then protects the body of the material from atmospheric oxygen, preventing further corrosion. If the surface gets scratched, a new layer of Chromium Oxide will form automatically, continuing to protect the rest of the metal from corrosion. This process is called Passivation. But given the right conditions, all Stainless Steels can corrode.

Bits of steel wool in the metal can short circuit the Passivation process and allow corrosion to to happen.

If the dark stains turn out to be corrosion, a Scotch Bright and some oil will usually help. There is always the possibility the corrosion goes deep enough that polishing the surface will not remove it all.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.