Got myself a lead casting furnace

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Got myself a lead casting furnace

Post by Jason_W »

My wonderfully generous parents sent a little Christmas money our way, so I invested in a Lee production pot a can of Green Dot powder and a few boxes of 12 ga slugs.

That should provide a few weeks worth of article fodder if I can find a place to shoot in this area. That's becoming a frustrating endeavor.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got myself a lead casting furnace

Post by BenT »

Good Luck casting!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to your new hobby!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Now you will start the never ending quest for wheelweights and scrap lead. Have fun! :D
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

TedH wrote:Now you will start the never ending quest for wheelweights and scrap lead. Have fun! :D

That is gonna be a tough one in some parts of VT, as they outlawed the use of lead WW in VT last year I think.

But finding a place to SHOOT ought to be about as hard as introducing yourself to a farmer, convincing him you're not gonna shoot his tractor or cows and asking for a space to burn powder.....

ENJOY!
Certified gun nut
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

adirondakjack wrote:
TedH wrote:Now you will start the never ending quest for wheelweights and scrap lead. Have fun! :D

That is gonna be a tough one in some parts of VT, as they outlawed the use of lead WW in VT last year I think.

But finding a place to SHOOT ought to be about as hard as introducing yourself to a farmer, convincing him you're not gonna shoot his tractor or cows and asking for a space to burn powder.....

ENJOY!
That's not going to be as easy as you think these days either. Many farms have been bought up by cityfolk and have been posted. Plus, just this past year a couple of guys took target practice on a local farmer's tractor. He was in it and was killed. The trial made big news. Unless you know somebody with property really well, you'd be better off to joing a gun club. There are plenty around, and don't charge much for membership.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I live in Maine now and it was a lot easier to find a place to shoot in Vermont. There were a lot of ranges given the size of the state and memberships were always as simple as walking into the local gun shop and buying one.

The closest range to where I live now is an hour by car and I'm having a tough time getting in touch with the people who can grant memberships. It's a bit frustrating.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Jason_W wrote:I live in Maine now and it was a lot easier to find a place to shoot in Vermont. There were a lot of ranges given the size of the state and memberships were always as simple as walking into the local gun shop and buying one.

The closest range to where I live now is an hour by car and I'm having a tough time getting in touch with the people who can grant memberships. It's a bit frustrating.
Pard, what I'm telling ya is Posted signs are often a knee jerk reaction to an anonymous fear of miscreants etc. If ya approach the owner of farm or timber land ya might find out he's not near as hard edged as all that, and will let ya shoot "down back" with the usual assurances ya won't leave a mess, etc.
Certified gun nut
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Careful! Casting is Addicting! (and extremely rewarding!). Ya take some dirty, greasy lead, melt it down and clean it up. Melt in yer elec. pot and pour some perfect boolits. Then you grease 'em up and load them for custom ammo designed for your particular gun. Don't get much better than that. :wink:

Wait until you get into homemade lubes :lol: :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
tdoor
Levergunner

Post by tdoor »

Jason_W wrote:I live in Maine now and it was a lot easier to find a place to shoot in Vermont. There were a lot of ranges given the size of the state and memberships were always as simple as walking into the local gun shop and buying one.

Hi Jason-

Not sure where you are in Maine. I generally head out into the woods when I'm in the Oxford County area.

This list might help, and there are a lot of Mainers on this board too:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... -Gun-Clubs

Good luck casting. What calibers are you casting for?
tdoor
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

tdoor wrote:

Hi Jason-

Not sure where you are in Maine. I generally head out into the woods when I'm in the Oxford County area.

Good luck casting. What calibers are you casting for?
tdoor
I live right near Bar Harbor. The closest range is the one in Blue Hill.

As of now, I only have a 12 ga slug mold, but over the next few months I plan to acquire some molds for my .357.
tdoor
Levergunner

Post by tdoor »

Jason_W wrote:
tdoor wrote:

tdoor
I live right near Bar Harbor. The closest range is the one in Blue Hill.

As of now, I only have a 12 ga slug mold, but over the next few months I plan to acquire some molds for my .357.
The list I sent isn't all inclusive, so possibly there is something a little closer. Since you are getting into cast bullets, I highly recommend the cast Bullet Association (I've been a member for about 20 years)
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/
Although an international organization, the present president is in Old Town, and he or a field rep might have some suggestions for places to shoot near Bar Harbor. Besides lots of technical info in the CBA publication The Fouling Shot, they also sponsor postal matches where a .357 lever would be competitive. Good luck
tdoor
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

AWW Dude you have no idea what you have just gotten yourself into :mrgreen: . Soon you will be scrounging in out of the way places for a few pounds of wheel weights, a piece of old water pipe will bring a huge smile to your face, you've really stepped in it this time. As you may be able to tell I'm addicted to casting, so good luck. In addition to your pot for boolits, you will need a way to make ingots from your scrounged metals because you won't want to put "dirty alloy" in you boolit pot. It'll possibly clog it up, as well as contaminate your boolits. Just about any cast iron pot will be fine and a coleman stove or a turkey fryer(what I use) will provide the heat. I will be more than happy to give you my limited knowledge to help you get started, if you'll PM me when your ready to start. Good luck. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.