45 Colts - Lee Case Expander BEST

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

45 Colts - Lee Case Expander BEST

Post by JohndeFresno »

I am presently loading a fairly large and long boolit - the .45 Colt RCBS-270-SAA, sized .453. Using the expander die that comes with my Lee Deluxe Pistol Die set, I noticed shavings from my brand new Starline brass, and noticeable resistance when used in a progressive reloader. I wouild have to jerk hard on the upstroke to pull the round out of the die; so hard that I had decided to start lubing these straight wall cases, until I remembered that I had a Lee Universal Case Expander.

I purchased this die a couple of years ago, thinking that it might be handy for some unusual situations, after reading the hype about the product. But had never used it before. Yup - it does what Mr. Lee claims!

There is now no shaving and no drag as I bell the cases just enough to allow comfortable seating of the lead projectiles, and the belling is a gentle slope as advertised. If I only use this for this one .45 Colt load, it is already worth the investment!

It takes no longer to set up than the other die. It has proven to be superior for those bullets that you must seat deeply into the case; especially if they are approaching maximum diameter for the particular casing. It has two inserts that you drop in facing one way or the other, following certain configurations plainly shown on the accompanying chart, for every caliber and case length. In fact, like many of Mr. Lee's inventions, the device is simple to use, inexpensive, and ingenious. Kudos to Lee Precision! I'm going to buy two more to have them on hand for some heavy .45-70 offerings I have planned, and any other pesky loads that I might run into.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 45 Colts - Lee Case Expander BEST

Post by J Miller »

John,

I just might have to get me one of them. I've never had any troubles with my other expanders other than making sure the diameter matches the bullets and their diameter.

The reason the regular Lee expander die is such a PITA is it's designed to "jerk" as the case is removed to facilitate the powder measure dropping it's charge when one is used with the die.
Nuther words, mine does the same thing. I just ignore it. I don't use the Lee dies much anyway.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you for the heads-up, Joe. I can see how that would work with a Lee setup.

I use several Lee or RCBS pistol / revolver dies in my RCBS Piggyback Progressive loader, with the RCBS Uniflow powder dispenser on its own station. I don't make use of the through-the-die setup on Lee expanders unless I do smaller runs on a Lee turret press (which is great for quick setups).

But in this case, the upward jerk required on this setup was so severe that I had to yank, rather than pull, at each upstroke. I guess the bullet diameter maxes out the inside of the die. Anyway, comparing the angle of expansion from each die, the Universal Expander does a more subtle job of stretching out the brass, which will allow it to last longer. And no more shavings.

I'm totally sold on this die for large, long boolits. And it is easier to adjust finely with its turnscrew top as opposed to turning in the whole die.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JohndeFresno wrote:Thank you for the heads-up, Joe. I can see how that would work with a Lee setup.

I use several Lee or RCBS pistol / revolver dies in my RCBS Piggyback Progressive loader, with the RCBS Uniflow powder dispenser on its own station. I don't make use of the through-the-die setup on Lee expanders unless I do smaller runs on a Lee turret press (which is great for quick setups).

But in this case, the upward jerk required on this setup was so severe that I had to yank, rather than pull, at each upstroke. I guess the bullet diameter maxes out the inside of the die. Anyway, comparing the angle of expansion from each die, the Universal Expander does a more subtle job of stretching out the brass, which will allow it to last longer. And no more shavings.

I'm totally sold on this die for large, long boolits. And it is easier to adjust finely with its turnscrew top as opposed to turning in the whole die.
Is there a Lee Part # for this tool, or just the name "Lee Universal Case Expander"?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

I have one of those, but haven't used it yet. The name on the box is:

Lee Universal Case Expanding Die

The closest thing I can find to a part number is:

Glad someone brought this up, because I'll need it next week and completely forgot I had it. :roll:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Joe,

Sorry for the delay - I was reloading. Just purchased 3 from Midway, so they stock it now. On sale right now for 10 bucks and change:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=140461
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

kasTX wrote:...Glad someone brought this up, because I'll need it next week and completely forgot I had it. :roll:
Texas Kas - Welcome to the fire - glad to have you!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm going to have to pick up one of these! :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have two, one in my 35 Rem turret disc and one in my 30-30 turret disc. One uses the big plug and one the small.

I bought them after using Lyman "M" dies to expand my cases for oversize lead bullets. When the press wasn't as precise, or if the shell moved in the base holder slightly, the "M" die gouged the case mouth and ruined the case.

This is because the shaft of the "M" die is rigid in the die, there's no margin for error. If the case was offline at all, the top of the plug crushed it. I also found the expanding flare in the die to be too small, and there's no way to increase it. Pushing it deeper into the case doesn't increase the amount of flare, only the depth of it.

The Lee die on the other hand is loose in the die, and so it's self-seating. It rides in the case mouth until it reaches the top of the stroke. And you get more flare the deeper you push in. That's what makes it universal.

I still use the "M" die for lead bullets, because it's the only way to widen the entire 30-30 neck. I use the Lee die to flare the mouth, then I use the "M" die to widen the rest of the neck by .001.

I could manage with only the Lee die, but if I used only the "M" die, I'd lose lot of cases. I'm very impressed with Lee's ingenious design.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Thanks for the tip. I have found that to be a common problem with new Starline brass in most calibers. After the first firing, the "sticking" problem stops.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have used the Lee universal expander for a few years now. If I am loading cast boolits I use it, period. It is an extra step but one I feel is worth the effort. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

ANY expander plug that is rough enough to JERK when ya try to pull the case free needs help. I make up a mandrel using a screwdriver bit wrapped with paper towel, shove that inside the expander plug, and spin it in a drill motor while polishing the shoulder on the plug, first with 1000 grit paper then with a dremel and polishing wheel. All fixee.
Certified gun nut
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good tips here. I use both the Lee and the Lyman, depending on cartridge. But as El Chivo notes, the Lyman as it comes from the factory likes to ruin the occasional neck when case and die aren't perfectly in line to start. I take the expander from the Lyman M die and change its shape (using bench grinder and then dremel polisher) from blunt nose to spitzer, at which point it isn't nearly as finicky about case alignment. Once so modified I kinda' prefer the Lyman for most of my cartridges...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

earlmck wrote:....I take the expander from the Lyman M die and change its shape (using bench grinder and then dremel polisher) from blunt nose to spitzer, at which point it isn't nearly as finicky about case alignment...
Good idea. Welcome to the site!