So how many 1886's and in what calibers do you own?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

So how many 1886's and in what calibers do you own?

Post by rjohns94 »

the thread on the #'s produced of original 1886's makes me wonder how many this forum own, what calibers, which is their favorite and the various configurations they have. I have two. One in 45-70, has a 26inch octagon barrel and is my favorite. Its not a collectable even though it dates to 1888. Started life as a 45-60 and a previous owner had it reemed to 45-70 and the action and barrel were browned. Its a shooter and I really love having it with me in the woods. The other is a light weight takedown in 33 WCFcirca 1925 that also has lost its collector value because it was reblued. I'm okay with that too. Looking forward to playing with this one. Between the two, I'm not sure if the orignal '94s I have will see too much field time. How about you? how many and what calibers? pictures would be nice
THE 33 WCF that will soon be in my hands:

and the 45-70

Last edited by rjohns94 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: So how many 1886's and in what calibers do you own?

Post by Mike D. »

Uh, quite a few. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Uh, only one. A Winoku in 45-90. I'd love to have an octagon original w/full magazine in 45-70 with a NS bbl. so I could shoot modern smokeless. But, that's probably a long way off.

Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, that octagon 45-70 is like my dream '86, but with a bbl. for smokeless.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Same as Kim. I wanted a modern one for use with heavy handloads and it handles them fine.

BTW for Kim - you can shoot the .45-70 smokeless in your .45-90 with very good results, so you really do not need another 1886, do you? :D

Asbestos for possible flamers - the issue of shooting .45-70 in a .45-90 was settled on this forum years ago, so PLEASE do not bring it up again.

BTW for Hobie - can we get one of those "beating a dead horse" emoticons (as on the Accurate Reloading Forum) added to our list of Smilies? :lol:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One. Almost two but PUGSLY ended up elsewhere. Still love that gun.

Newer 45-70 EL

I made an extra set of weighted cherry stocks to help with heavy loads

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Browning SRC. Excellent craftmanship
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice wood, Tycer.

CRS, I have shot 45-70's in mine and actually with the rounds I've shot, the 45-70's were more accurate. Personally, I can't tell you why.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One Miroku/Browning in .45-70. Need to get it out and take a pic... next project. have to keep off the grease and unwrap it. Maybe some weekend when I do the same with my '94s, I'll take a "group photo"! :lol: :lol:

Like when the wife's other, obviously more important, projects finally get done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

One in 40-65 dating from 1887
One Browning in 45-70

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Just one at this time, a new manufacturer Winchester 1 of 500, 26 inch, take down, matte finish.

Ricky

DWWC
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:Uh, quite a few. :D

Nothing personal Mike J. but I'm with Mike D. Disclosing that information is not smart on public forums--You lettin' the IRS & the ATF know what you have in definitive numbers. I don't worry about burglars because we have a right to shoot them if they threaten our lives in our homes.

Its OK to post pics of "this 'n that" but never let out exactly what you have. For all the Feds know, we might be posting pictures of guns of our buddies or guns we used to have, but when you disclose it in print................... :wink: ---------Sixgun :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Jack, you took what I meant and explained it as it should have been. I have shown a number of nice '86 on this forum over the years but would never expose the entire remuda in a single posting. Several of my guns have letters, but some are more recent than the letterable serial number range, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Unlike the majority of Winchester collectors I purposely seek out post-1900 rifles.

Serial numbers that will letter are 1 to 146000, but there are is a gap in that series, 135125 to 135144, where records have been lost for one reason or another. Hopefully, the soon to be available "Winchester serial Number Application Ledgers"(SNA ledgers) will shed further light on the subject. The SNA ledgers will cover portions of later models, including the 1912, 1917, 52, 53, 55, 71(yay), 24, 42, 61, 62A 63, 70, 75, 74, 31, and 43. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I shoot smokeless in it, just not hot-rodded 45-70 loads.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

One of my favorites:

A deluxe Model 1886 in 33WCF dating to 1908. It was special ordered as a takedown, XXX wood, checkered, pistol grip stock, sling eyes, double set triggers and a "climbin" lyman receiver sight. It also was ordered with a crescent buttstock, which is rare in those rifles chambered for the 33.

A Winchester Collector
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

none :evil:

i think Mike owns all the 86s west of the divide! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice, 3855.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

3855, THAT is a superior 1886. A testimony to the quality that Winchester produced at that time. :)
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I've owned several in the past, both Brownings and originals, in SRC, OBFMCB, takedowns, and my favorite was a half octagon half mag. Mostly 33s and 45-70s, with one in 40-65. Most are now gone.

I sold them off to focus on (and pay for) the resotration of my remaining two 1886s, both of which have multiple special order features and are likely one-of-kind rifles. Both were messed with and bought as shooters, and when lettered, I was quite surprised. Both will get full restorations, and one is already in process.

1. Three-barrel takedown, mfg 1894, shotgun butt with the following front ends: 33 wcf lightweight, 50 Ex. 24" half octagon full mag, 40-70 26" octagon full mag.
2. 45-70 special order, mfg 1897, one of only five 1886s ever mfg'd with a 25" barrel, also letters with "good wood," lightweight stock, "5 ctg magazine", sling swivels, and shotgun butt.

Number 1 is one of the (if not the) lowest lettering 33 wcf rifles, with a serial number that dates it 8 years before the cartridge was introduced. It is also one of the first (it not the first) 40-70 takedown, having a DOB within a few weeks of both the introduction of the 40-70 and the introduction of the 1886 takedown frames. It is a very cool rifle and I can't wait to get it back. Hopefully I can talk John Madl into researching the potential "firsts" and see what comes up.

When the three-barrel is done (it's already been over a year and barely any progress :( ), I'll send in the 25" project. For now I'm shooting it and having fun with it.
Chad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

[quote="rjohns94"]the thread on the #'s produced of original 1886's makes me wonder how many this forum own, what calibers, which is their favorite and the various configurations they have. I have two. One in 45-70, has a 26inch octagon barrel and is my favorite. Its not a collectable even though it dates to 1888. Started life as a 45-60 and a previous owner had it reemed to 45-70 and the action and barrel were browned. Its a shooter and I really love having it with me in the woods. The other is a light weight takedown in 33 WCFcirca 1925 that also has lost its collector value because it was reblued. I'm okay with that too. Looking forward to playing with this one. Between the two, I'm not sure if the orignal '94s I have will see too much field time. How about you? how many and what calibers? pictures would be nice
THE 33 WCF that will soon be in my hands:

Very sweet looking rifle Mike…. 8)
Good to see yeah back in the saddle of buying, and not selling everything off.
Yeah had me a little concerned their brother. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I just can't take the excitement anymore! I give in, but.............I won't give no numbers, just a few I have posted before. You boys have seen most of these pics.----------Sixgun

40-65 WCF made in 1893--my best shooter

45-70 made in 1888--another great shooter

45-70 SRC made in 1901--yep, I shoot it.

45-90 ExLwt made in 1907--Its presently in Washington getting a bit of work done---Gonna be my rest-of-life elk rifle

45-70 ExLwt made in 1905

The above rifle hanging on a limb in Colorado elk country

45-90 made in 1903 I need to take this one to a good gunsmith. There's still pieces of it inbedded in my right elbow

Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Very nice, Sixgun....especially the SRC. Any 86 SRC is a prize, one in that condition is exceptional.

A Winchester Collector
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3855 wrote:Very nice, Sixgun....especially the SRC. Any 86 SRC is a prize, one in that condition is exceptional.
Thanks Mark, It is my "holy grail". And don't think I have not drooled on your deluxe '86-----A deluxe like yours is in my opinion, the classiest of classy. A buddy of mine has a deluxe 45-70 with half rd/oct heavy barrel. Everytime I'm over his place I tell him that "somethings going wrong in your attic--you better check it out". But he's too smart for that.! :D -----Jack

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice indeed.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Browning SRC that just sit's in the dark. Never use it or shoot it. I need to D+T it for a receiver sight. I have the sight and and just have to get up the nerve to drill it. I did my Win/mirakou myself but am balking at the 1886. Nice rifle's guy's, I love those EL's. Sixgun, I would love to find that 1 you left hanging on the tree :lol:
Karl
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlin shooter wrote: Sixgun, I would love to find that 1 you left hanging on the tree :lol:
Karl
Its still there. The guy who owns the property told me it still looks good as I remember giving it a good coat of Rem-Oil. He did tell me though that a cow elk asked to borrow it as a mess of coyotes were bothering her calves. :D Sixgun :D

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

This is my 1916 vintage 45-90. Was a wreck when I got it. Wood had been badly replaced, and it had been sprayed with something like the graphite bullet coating. A whole bunch of it down the barrel. As you can see, it shoots very well now.
86s of the past include an original 45-70 OB, CB, FM rifle, Browning SRC, Japanese Winchester 45-90 marked black powder only.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Browning 1886 SRC, I call it Brutus. The only gun I have named. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

USRAC 1886EL.....I could be talked out of it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Two, 1889 in 38-56 and a 1906 in 33WCF.

"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I'm talking to a fellow and things may change hands, but right now I have two, both in 45-70. The first was made in 1890 and the second one was made in 1901. The second one has a nickel steel barrel, plain pistol grip and is a takedown. Here's the photos ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, that 1890 is sure pretty.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk, that 1890 is sure pretty.
That one is a keeper for sure. I'm very happy with it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Kirk,

Those are some fine looking old Winchesters you have there. You always post the best pictures, unfortunately it takes me forever to open them up, being on dialup, but worth the wait.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Awesome photo's gents :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!