A tough choice between two Marlin's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Saddle Tramp
Levergunner

A tough choice between two Marlin's

Post by Saddle Tramp »

Howdy Gentlemen,

O.k., so this is where I'm at...I originally wanted to purchase an Uberti, Win. 1876 "Crossfire Trail" rifle in .45-60...after reading that these "new" rifles were inherently weak (meaning I could not soup-up the .45-60 cartridge), I decided to go with a
Marlin 1895 LTD III (I found one for $1,500 NIB), or a Marlin 1895 SBL.
My problem now, is that I can't make up my mind between the LTD III and the SBL (both in .45-70 by the way), and the biggest hang-up is that I have a limited budget, and I want to buy and instal on the LTD III, what the SBL already comes with (scout rail and recoil pad, plus I want to buy a leopold scout scope for the rifle).

What are your reckonings?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if the rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787.
Hobie

Re: A tough choice between two Marlin's

Post by Hobie »

I reckon you're pretty smart to realize that since you can't "soup up" the .45-60 cartridge in the 1876 that it isn't the gun for you. At least one national magazine published an article by a writer on the .50-95 that did not realize that.

Seems to me that the choice is no choice at all. Get the SBL and Leupold scope. Budget smudget, get what you want even if you have to save for it. You'll be happier in the long run.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

For me, I prefer the Limted. For what you want to do, the SBL is all set up, all you have to do is mount your scope.
Saddle Tramp
Levergunner

Post by Saddle Tramp »

Oh yeah, well, I love the aesthetics of the LTD, the octagon barrel, brown wood and blue steel...and honestly that's what I'm leaning towards, but I can get the SBL AND the scope for the price of the LTD... Choices choices!
As for the Centennial...it'll make a great graduation gift!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Why not get a modestly ued Guide Gun, or a brand new one from Academy for 500 bucks, then spend 350 on the mount and scope and your done
----- Doug
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Keep an eye out in the classifieds, my brother just got a guide gun with all the xs and wildwest parts he would of added out of the classifieds here much less than new. I was on the hunt for an 1886el for over a year when I found a shop closing it out for $650 otd because "That old stuff don't sell". I told them any more old stuff came in let me know lol.
encore4me
Levergunner

Post by encore4me »

I think that marlin "Remington" is having problems with quality control with the new guns. If the SBL was made prior to Remingtontaking over you will be OK, but if it was not I would go with the LTD.
Just mt $.02

Matt
Saddle Tramp
Levergunner

Post by Saddle Tramp »

Thanks fer yer reckonings,
you know, I finished my finals on Saturday morning, I came home, popped-in The Shootist, and had myself a glass of rye... I was feeling pretty good, either because i'd done so well with finals, and probably after that second rye... I got on the horn, called the place selling the LTD, and put-down some gold dust to reserve it. $1,500 is a little high, but I don't regret it at all.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if the rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I don't think that you will regret your choice. I know that you are interested in a scout scope but you might try a scope mounted on the receiver of your Limited first. I have a 1.5-4.5 mounted on my 444P and really like it. OR, try it with a receiver sight first.

Either way, you ordered a very nice rifle.