Which Receiver Sight for a Browning 71 High Grade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Which Receiver Sight for a Browning 71 High Grade

Post by SJPrice »

I am truly enjoying this new rifle and the 348 Winchester cartridge. My question is this. I am currently using a Williams peep sight on this rifle. I had a choice between a Lyman and a Williams, and I installed the Williams simply because I could not locate the mounting screws for the Lyman. I now have the screws and quite honestly I like the look and size of the Lyman better, but the Williams appears to be a slightly sturdier sight. I like the easy adjustments on the Lyman, but I am wondering if the lockable adjustment screws on the Williams will better insure against accidentally changing the sight setting. I would really appreciate any thoughts, comments and or experience here. I do not have much experience with receiver sights as most of my peep sights have been tang sights or XS Ghost Rings. Thanks guys for your help.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Hobie

Re: Which Receiver Sight for a Browning 71 High Grade

Post by Hobie »

If this is the old STEEL Lyman, by all means switch them out. The Williams FP is perfection as a working sight but it isn't as classy as the old steel sights. I just like steel and that is my personal prejudice showing. However, I've got a Williams FP on most of my leverguns. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

Have a Lyman on mine and like it! Don't know about the Williams, so cannot offer any comparison.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Hobie wrote:If this is the old STEEL Lyman, by all means switch them out. The Williams FP is perfection as a working sight but it isn't as classy as the old steel sights. I just like steel and that is my personal prejudice showing. However, I've got a Williams FP on most of my leverguns. :wink:
Hobie,

No, it is one of the aluminum Lyman Sights. I like the look of the Lyman and I would prefer the steel, but they are not easy to come by.
Last edited by SJPrice on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Here it is!

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Knobs are great until they ain't great anymore. Like you said (and I agree) in previous posts, the 348 is an excellent 200 yard point blank cartridge. Once I am sighted in, I don't like "adjusters" sticking out in the breeze that can "adjust" themselves and throw a wrench in the works. I like, sight it in and lock it down. That's the main reason that I have never bought a 21/38 for my 95s, they don't hold their settings. Now the Lyman won't go off reservation like a 21/38 but why tempt fate.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The older steel Lymans like the #56 won't work on the more recent 1886s or 71s. The holes are drilled too low on the receiver.

Leverluver, who told you that the Lyman 21 and 38 don't hold their settings? A properly set and adjusted receiver sight of those types doesn't move. I have them on a number of Winchesters and none have failed, even with heavily recoiling HV .45-90 loads.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I can send names of three or four folks that had their hunts screwed up due to 21/38s. One was in Africa and could have gotten him killed. Obviously "adjusted themselves" is an exageration but also obviously those folks bumped levers going through brush and threw things out of kilter.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

There was someone in the US making reproduction bolt mounted aperture sights for B-71's, but I cant find his contact details. He had to make some changes to the original design as the steel used in the Miroku rifles was a lot harder than the original Winchesters (the bolt had to be milled to accept the sight base). In his re-design the bolt only had to be D&T-ed to accept the base.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I know I seem to be beating this sight to death but it really impresses me.

http://www.providencetoolcompanyllc.com ... vices.html

The climin' Lyman sight has always punched a button with me. Should look and work well on a '71.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I like that sight as well, but it would require drilling and tapping to fit the Browning 71. Then too it would cover most of the side of the High Grade receiver.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a Lyman on my 86, but I prefer the Williams FP for my two Win 95's, my Guide gun and my 71. The reason is once you sight the gun in for what your shooting you can lock the sight. Much better for hunting the brush. The Lyman has a quick release on the from which can get caught and throw the sight off. This does not happen with the Williams.

I Definitely prefer the Williams I think you will too.

Just my HO.