New Mossberg Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I downloaded the article and it is worth the read and the pictures show a Win look alike,but the bolt area has competely different look. With the round bolt and rear bridge.

It looks like a pretty impressive effort by Mossberg to me. I'm not sure how a tranfer bar would move out of the way when the bolt comes back. I am interested in handling one.

I don't beleive $800. Since when is Mossberg a high end gun company. Like all Mossbergs you should be able to use it as a canoe paddle ,shoot your game and then paddle home.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BenT,

I tried to download that big .pdf and my computer totally crashed on it. Is there any way you can steel those pics and post them here?

I'd appreciated it a bunch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rogmatt »

Looks like a winchester 94 to me.
If winchester starts making the 94 again with that big nasty cross-bolt safety, and mossberg has the tang, I'll take the Mossberg.
Keep The Faith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rogmatt wrote:Looks like a winchester 94 to me.
If winchester starts making the 94 again with that big nasty cross-bolt safety, and mossberg has the tang, I'll take the Mossberg.
I doubt they'd be that stupid. They had gone to the tang safety in '04, so I doubt they'd go back to the CB safety.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

J Miller . I downloaded it to my laptop at work and it took a long time. What I'll try to do tomorrow is just e-mail you the article which should be just a few meg . It's a PDF and I'm not to sure how to post the article on this site.

I think the problem is with Mossbergs server. I tried to down load it the afternoon and got nowhere. I then tried first thing in the morning and got it. Total download is 50 meg.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I stopped downloading it after 15 minutes.
Round bolt eh? It just got more interesting. You mind e-mailing them to me too?
Mossberg used to make a Marlin copy except the trigger moved with the lever I think.

The transfer bar can work. Henry has it & nothing else, I handled one a few years back & for the most part it was a Marlin action with a transfer bar. I dont remember how it worked tho. If Henry came out with more traditional guns at a reasonable price I think they could do a nice buisness.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Mossberg's link is slow. It took my PC about an hour to down load the thing. For those wanting to see more, these were clipped from the Mossberg .pdf file. The article says they had begun development on it before Winchester shut down production of their 94s. It's clearly a 94 action with a round bolt. It's not quite as graceful as the old 94s, but I wouldn't be ashamed to own one. I hope they offer it in .25-35 as well.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KWK,

Thank You. That's what I wanted to see. The breach bolt is not round like a Marlins, it appears to be more oval shaped.

They've altered the tang area to be like the 9422 and use a through bold.

That arch over the top of the receiver should strengthen it quite a bit.

Not drilled and tapped for side mount receiver sights.

Other than that it really looks like an altered Win 94. I'm gonna be looking for one of these things to check out.

Joe
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Joe,here is a picture of the action open from the Gunblast Shotshow page.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2008 ... C02476.jpg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thats a pretty neat design. I hope the hammer has a half cock and not rebounding.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt wrote:Joe,here is a picture of the action open from the Gunblast Shotshow page.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2008 ... C02476.jpg
Very interesting. Strange how camera angles will make things look different.

Joe
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

Here is a transcription of the write-up in the Mossberg catalog:

"Ask the average man on the street to describe a
“deer rifleâ€
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Kapincrunch
Levergunner

Post by Kapincrunch »

ok, my question is what are the limitations on the Mossburg in terms of pressure? Apply the same question to the new Henry? If some of the design flaws of the Marlin and Win 94 have been corrected we may see the possibility of a new 356 win in Mossburg or Henry. Or what about a 307 win with rubber tip bullets?

Sure they are starting out as 30/30's because that is bread and butter, but who among us (addmittedly we aint normal) would not love to see a new gun in 375 win?
Jim
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Kapincrunch wrote:ok, my question is what are the limitations on the Mossburg in terms of pressure? ...but who among us (addmittedly we aint normal) would not love to see a new gun in 375 win?
Jim
Looks like we're surfin' the same wave. Just what I was thinking.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

There is a few things I notice about the new mossberg that makes me think it can handle higher pressures.

First one of the weak links in the Win angle ejects was that they cut down the right side of the receiver for angle ejection . This gave aweak point on that side of the receiver with less metal with the loading gate also on that side. The mossberg seems not to have cut into the right for angle eject because they have the rear cross support which raises scope mounting higher so need to cut into the right side of thr receiver for ejecting.

Second you can see a big gap between magazine tube and barrel . This tells me where they enter the receiver is farther apart. McPhearson wrote about this being a weak link on Marlins because there wasn't much metal between the barrel threads and the magazine tube. So not with the 30-30 but with bigger bores the receiver would split at that point.

Third basically it has a solid lockup like a winchester than comes up completely behind the bolt not half way like a Marlin. Which on a Marlin will give out under higher pressures.

This is just my observation.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

If some of the design flaws of the Marlin and Win 94 have been corrected
Now, I don't see there were any major design flaws in either design. Both were designed around the .30-30, and both have proven themselves up to that task for over 100 years.

Looking at the proportions of the new action, I'd say it's as strong as the 94 and no more. Actually, it may take the pressure as is, but it might be too springy for good case life. Metal could be added to the receiver sides along the outside of the ejection port and around the locking bolt to beef it up for more pressure.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hagler,

Thanks for taking the trouble to post those reviews. I found them very interesting.

As far as the Mossberg being stronger than the Win 94 I doubt it will be enough stronger to made any difference. It's still a rear lock up with a long receiver.
It will make a great 30-30 class carbine, but I wouldn't push it to much more.

joe
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

__"Ugly____
____________clunky__
_____________________Mossberg."

I could write ad copy. :wink: :P
Slow is just slow.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If the 464 is like the other Mossbergs I have owned it will be a decent rifle.and it will work. If enough shooters contact them they may bring it out in .25-35 and that would be sweet. I can allready see a peepsight that mounts on the rear bridge. Jim.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

You are welcome.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

cas wrote:
__"Ugly____
____________clunky__
_____________________Mossberg."

I could write ad copy. :wink: :P
__"Roly____
____________poly__
____________________Fish Heads."
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

I'm glad a few more gunmakers are throwing there hats in the levergun ring...I'd like to see the Mossberg in 35 Rem., I'd take it.....

love them 35's
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Swampman wrote:I heard around $799.00.
If I was gonna spend $800 on a .30-30, I'd get the Henry first. They don't have a tang safety, and the action will be as smooth as all their other lever guns.
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

I can't imagine the price bening over $700.00 bucks,,I'd say they'll be around 350.00 range.
Theres to many great used leverguns (336's & 94's)at $250.00 300.00 range.