OT - Need some advise

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Need some advise

Post by kimwcook »

Met a friend of my mom's today. He's a WWII vet and it was quite an interesting time. He's 88 and going through chemotherapy for cancer. He had a shadowbox showing him in his uniform along with about 9 ribbons. He was with the Army's 5th Armor Corps. We didn't get to talk a whole lot about his life, but what there was, was very interesting. He's got a S&W Model 46 and a 1911A1 that he says was gone over by Marine Armorers at Quantico for sale. The 46 looks about 95%, it has a 6-7" bbl. with a barrel weight attached. The 1911 has a Colt marked upper, but the frame isn't marked with a makers stamp. It is marked Property of the United States. It's has a bunch of stamps on the frame and it's serial number is four digits. It has a Bomar rear (not marked, but looks like a Bomar), national match bbl. bushing, stipled front strap and mainspring housing. The slide is fit very well to the frame with very very minimal movement. I'm ignorant about both pieces. The 46 I can look up on the usual gun sites. The 1911, well, that's going to take experience from guys found here. He wants $1,500.00 for both.

Can anyone spin me up on the 46 and the 1911? Thanks in advance.

PS - He's got a Remington Model 51 380 handgun, a Leupold scoped TC Contender in 223 and a couple 1903's. He didn't say he was selling these, but I suspect he will as he told me he has no need for them anymore.
Old Law Dawg
seasprite
Levergunner

Re: OT - Need some advise

Post by seasprite »

As far as the 1911a1 goes you need to go to this site here.
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30
and here.
http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

These sites here have help me with my USGI pistal.
Good luck
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, if you can afford to you and don't buy them I think you're plain silly. Dittos on the Remington .380 Model 51 and the 03s.

What crossed my mind was that it sounds as if this man has no kin to whom to leave his "stuff" or who will honor his memory. I see quite a bit of that. Even those gentlemen (and ladies) who have children have children who care nothing for what they've done.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

kimwcook,

I'm not an expert, but I do think that the Model 46 may be around a $1,000 gun, if it's in very good condition.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

On Gun Broker there was (it's over) a Model 46 with a "buy it now" price of $1,000. Didn't sell, and it's been listed several times...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've looked over the usual gun sale sites, Gunsamerica, Gunbroker, AuctionArms and the range for the 46 is anywhere from $750.00 to $1,200.00, obviously depending upon condition, w/box or w/o, etc...

The 1911 is the one that causes problems. The slide looks to be from an earlier year than the frame. Which isn't uncommon with military arms that have gone through an armorer. The front grip strap being stipled kills most of the collector value, in my opinion. To bad because it's a four digit serial number dating it to 1912 as best as I can find. Still looking around. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have a 4 digit dating to 1912. looks to be Parker on the frame and blue on the slide. Haven't been able to figure out if It is a real Colt, a Lunchbox or what. The prob with Mine is that the ser #s r on the left side. Some Colt Collectors say that is OK. Wish I could find out for sure.The slide does say mod 1911 - not A-1 If someone did put it together at least They used the right Slide.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

OK two things happening here, a guy selling guns out of need, and some good gunsat a good price. Let me know if you decline for either reason
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote: Even those gentlemen (and ladies) who have children have children who care nothing for what they've done.
Sad but true sometimes... :(

Kim, you know we're nothing but a bunch of enablers here. BUY THEM ALL!!! :D :D :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I didn't get a good chance to chat with the guy, one on one, as there was family around and as you know the conversation just didn't stay with him and I. I need to sit down with him in private and take some notes on the guns. I also need to find out if he has any immediate family, didn't sound like it. He has extended family around, but he never mentioned any kids.
Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Okay, I was able to get some pics.

Left side

Left side close up

Left side close up

Front strap

Main Spring Housing

Right side

Right side close up

Hope that helps. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Oh, almost forgot. He said he bought the pistol through the CMP. Then in 61-62', through a friend that was a Marine Corps Reserve and a part of the US Pistol Team it, was worked over by Marine Corps Armorers at Quantico to a National Match.
Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, I found out from a Johnny Peppers on the 1911 forum and Culver's Shooting Page it's a Remington-UMC frame with a post 1955 slide. Augusta Arsenal rebuild. Just a shooter.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yep, I was going to tell you the same thing regarding the 1911 but my thoughts regarding it is that while it's just a shooter that vintage slide is a good one and if the work on the frame looks to be quality I'd seriously consider buying it and having it finished in something that looks less cobbled. Maybe hard chrome or a new flat black oxide all over - whatever - a nice .45 is never something to pass on if the price is right.

The Remington pistol sounds very interesting also and I'd take a good look at the '03s too.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright