Miroku 1885 22 hornet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Miroku 1885 22 hornet

Post by medicdave »

I know its a litle off topic but it still has a lever right? I'm looking at one of these to replace a A-Bolt hornet I sent down the road. Just curious what lawyer BS they added into the 1885 models. The Hornets are low walls if I'm not mistaken. Any differences between the Brownings and Winchesters? I'm not afraid of gutting and swapping parts out like I did on my 1886EL. So tell me what ya think guys. Thanks Dave
Hobie

Re: Miroku 1885 22 hornet

Post by Hobie »

I don't know of any of that folderol on the 1885s.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Outside of some internal things that you'll probably never see, and the use of some plastics here and there, there's not much difference between an 85 as built by winchester before Olin bought the company and the 85's made today in the Miroku plant.
I have a 22 lowall of recent manufacture and a Hiwall 45-70 in creedmoor configuration and both are superfine rifles. I would imagine the hornet chambering would be a great little rifle to have.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

As I posted earlier I just aquired an 1885 in 22WCF. Is this in fact 22 Hornet ? It has been bored out to about a 40 cal. I wouldn't mind returning it to orig cal. or maybe 25-20
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

22 wcf was the predecessor to the Hornet, but it was longer and used blackpowder.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Take a look at the Cimmaron 1885 low wall in the Hornet. Buffalo Arms carries them. No BS on them at all. The only real difference is the wood color IMO is off from the original 1885 and the lack of the ebony insert on the forearm. I have one, and with a Marbles Tang sight is a real shooter. A real favorite rifle of mine.

IIRC in regards to the .22 WCF, that cartridge had a slightly larger groove diameter from the .223/.224 that is standard on the Hornet..but many report that the bores on lot of them ran tight and are actually .224...I've heard of folks using the Hornet in them, but don't know anything of first hand knowledge.

Ed
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Do the Miroku's have the rebounding hammer or a safety?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No they don't have any of that.
The Italian wannabees on the other hand drop the hammer to halfcock when you lower the breech.
I sold one of the Uberti 85's and they in noway manner shape or form come anywhere near the quality of rifle the Miroku built Browning/Winchester marked rifles do.
Fact of the matter is 99% of the time you can purchase one of the Browning/Winchesters for a good bit less than you can one of the Uberti's.
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Good deal, the hunts on then.