Microgroove + Soft Lead = Magic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Microgroove + Soft Lead = Magic

Post by 41_Marlin »

I have been trying to find some loads that both my Marlin 1894 FG and my Ruger Blackhawks like. Since my Blackhawks seem to like just about everything I turned my focus to the Marlin. In the past the only load it really liked was a 170 gr Seirra bullet pushed really fast. But I couldn't find a lead load it liked worth beans. I did some reading and some thinking about how well my microgroove .22s shoot. I decided the answer to get a moderate load to work was to get the bullet to act like a big .22 so I cast a bunch of RCBS 210 grain wadcutters with almost pure lead. I added just enough WW to get the molds to fill out nice. They are dropping from the mold at 221 grains and .411 diameter and are soft enough to scratch the base with my finger nail.

I tumble lubed them with Lee Liquid Lube, didn't size them at all and loaded them on top of 6 grains of Trailboss. They shot into one cloverleaf at 50 yards and were extremely pleasant to shoot.

I think I'm going to need to find a lot more lead. :D

Oh, and zero leading in the barrel.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Microgroove + Soft Lead = Magic

Post by Old Savage »

The key here is likely the bullets over bore size. I think you will find that hard ones will shoot very well too if they are a couple of thousands over.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Interesting. I'd have thought that the pure lead would leave way too much of itself behind but thanks for the report.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I love it when a plan comes together. :D
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

41_Marlin wrote: Oh, and zero leading in the barrel.
Very good! Secret is probably that you aren't pushing them too fast. Got any idea on the velocity?
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I have found that my 357microgroove barrel prefers heavier bullets over lighter ones. 180 grains is about the minimum it will shoot accurately with lead bullets.
NRA life member