opportunity for trade 1950 Model 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

opportunity for trade 1950 Model 99

Post by Old Savage »

I have an opportunity to trade for this for a 1985 24" Model 94 30-30 in about 95%. This is a 1950 production EG in 300 Savage. It is drilled for a scope through the lettering on the top of the receiver - what do you think and what might this be worth? Forend is wider than other EGs I have seen. It will of course depends on how it shoots but the bore looks very good.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: opportunity for trade 1950 Model 99

Post by BigSky56 »

OS that will be a sweet elk rifle if it shoots, last year I paid 375$ for a E model I'd trade a post 64 94 for it even though its been drilled. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just my not so humble opinion, but I think you'd be trading down if you went from the Savage to the USRAC 94.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The trade would be the other way JOE. The USRAC from that period to the the addition of the cross bolt is my favorite 94 configuration. I also like the tang safety model. The 94 is in a lot nicer shape but this has more potential and I would like to hard chrome one of these like my friend did and the collector value of this one is likely gone because it has been drilled. The 94 is the same configuration as the 7-30 Waters - maybe one of those will come along. You can't collect them all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Since the only answer possible here is subjective opinion, I'll give mine -- if that 99 has a good bore I'd make the swap in a minute.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Pisgah wrote:Since the only answer possible here is subjective opinion, I'll give mine -- if that 99 has a good bore I'd make the swap in a minute.
+1
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice 99
backtobethel
Levergunner

Post by backtobethel »

Interesting. You are right. It is an 99 EG. But the forearm has been replaced with the forearm from a post-war 99 R (That sling "eye" and the large forearm are the dead giveaway) and, as you point out, it is non-factory drilled and tapped. It will make a fine shooter, but it has no collector value (due to the non-factory drill and tap and the replaced forearm). Value . . . not much, in my opinion, maybe $300 (although I would never pay that for it.) Honest (ie, all original) EG's can be had for $400-500, all day long.
-----------------------
Give me land, lots of land, under starry skys above. Don't fence me in.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If your Model 94 was a 20" I might trade, but I wouldn't trade the 24" for it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:The trade would be the other way JOE. The USRAC from that period to the the addition of the cross bolt is my favorite 94 configuration. I also like the tang safety model. The 94 is in a lot nicer shape but this has more potential and I would like to hard chrome one of these like my friend did and the collector value of this one is likely gone because it has been drilled. The 94 is the same configuration as the 7-30 Waters - maybe one of those will come along. You can't collect them all.
Fred,
Oops, looks like a bit of comprehension dyslexia there. Yeah, I'd trade a USRAC 94 for that Savage.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All good points and thanks, throw this in the 94 has been drilled for a tang sight - which Pete44u now has and is a bit discolored - still??? I am thinkin' and will try to shoot this today. It does hold very nicely and 94s are awkward for me without a scope to elevate to the eye.

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I would not hesitate to trade an 85 94 in any caliber for that 99 given that the 99 groups rather than patterns.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You ALWAYS seem to attract some nice butts there, fred ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FWIW, I'd recommend the swap, in a New York Minute - even though it doesn't have the normal EG's schnobble forend.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete, have to go to a DJ party with this crew later

but .....

They sure know how to have fun.

:) :) :)

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

It matches your shoes, go for it.