OT: Favorite Aircraft Nose Art.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Favorite Aircraft Nose Art.

Post by cshold »

Surprised Old Savage hasn’t started this thread yet. :wink:
One of mine on my favorite aircraft. 8)

Last edited by cshold on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Favorite Nose Art.

Post by Kansas Ed »

????????

Ed
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Favorite Aircraft Nose Art.

Post by AJMD429 »

Anatomically, I don't think that would really be the "nose" of the airplane, would it...?

Perhaps the left side of the upper chest, er, well . . . breast. . . :wink:

If someone painted that on a plane these days, it would be so distressing and create such an 'adverse work environment' for the poor dear women and do-ask-do-tell gays, that they'd all have to go to the infirmary for FMLA papers on the way to their attorneys... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That would put a kink in the Jihad.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Given the original art was painted back in WWII on a typically all-male base -- I'm really surprised she isn't packing a pair of 44s, instead of the smaller 36s! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"Not as attractive" as the young lady on the first post, but you did say to post your "favorite" nose art, so here's mine...
WD-A nose art.jpg
That's WD A aka "Ridge Runner II" of the 335th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force of the Army Air Corp from WWII. Painted as the plane piloted by Major Pearce McKennon (a mighty fine gentleman and piano player), this beautiful D model P51 Mustang represents the "red nosed" Mustangs that were based at Debden, England, northeast of London near Saffron-Walden.

The Mighty 4th, consisting of Squadrons 334, 335 and 336, was the highest scoring Fighter Group of the war. As a "ground pounder" -- but darn proud of it -- my late father was Flight Chief for A Flight and WD A was the lead bird of the flight (the "Little Friends", as the bomber crews called them).

The 4th was formed after the U.S. took over flight operations from the RAF, as Debden was home to the original Eagle Squadrons (71, 121 and 133 were the RAF's group numbers) which had American pilots flying Spitfires for the RAF. My dad used to say "It was a good war when the Brits ran the show..." as I guess the regulations went up, the amount of passes went down, and the chow went to hell when the Army Air Corp took over. (Well, there was a war on, after all...) The British pilots used to pee on the tail wheels of the Spits "for luck" before a flight, which was hell for the ground crews due to the rust and corrosion it caused, but I digress...

The red-nosed Mustangs from Debden were the first Allied Fighters to make it all the way to Berlin, when Hermann Goering looked up and said "When I saw Mustangs over Berlin, I knew the jig was up...".

Just thought of this...

It is December 7th... 69 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor... That means that 69 years ago tomorrow, my dad went down to the recruiting office, or whatever it was in those days, and volunteered to put his mechanical and machinist skills to use keeping our planes in the air. Sure, he would have loved to have been a pilot, but he knew others were better educated or skilled for that than he was. But he was very proud of his service.

Now that he's gone, I've got a list of 1,000 questions I'd like to ask him about Spitfires or Mustangs -- guess I'll have to hold those for when we meet again.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I've had a book that lists the names of all known 8th AF names of B-17s...They're fun and funny to read.. Many had pretty raunchy names... Some pics of them actually have the names blanked out by the censors of the day.... Like; C**P TRAP... replete with a Piccadilly Lilly delivering her, shall we say... bombs of doom...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Nose art is one reason I like the P-40's. They started the tradition with the shark's teeth.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I did get that unspoken “that would be kinda neat” look for Ms. J
when I showed her the pic. and told her my B-17 would have her
picture on the nose, and the plane would be called the Lady J.

Though that was after the Initial “why are you looking at naked woman AGAIN” look :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:Given the original art was painted back in WWII on a typically all-male base -- I'm really surprised she isn't packing a pair of 44s, instead of the smaller 36s! :wink:

Old No7
+1 :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

casastahle wrote:Surprised Old Savage hasn’t started this thread yet. :wink:
One of mine on my favorite aircraft. 8)

Great idea on a post thread Mike. Everyone should also tell us a little about the aircraft pictured. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

From the U.S. Army Air Forces official story of the VIII Bomber Command's first year over Europe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
444tsgt
Levergunner

Post by 444tsgt »

I was lucky enough to actually get to climb inside the Sally B, at RAF Duxford. She was beautiful and something I will never forget. Its hard to imagine the guts it took to fly in a B-17 over Germany knowing what your chance of survival was.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ran chills of pride up and down my spine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDLxqkeJ10
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

some shots from the CAF in midland.they saved these before the acft were turned to scrap.

this made me feel old... :lol:

DAV life member.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't find the pic, but I like the cigar chomping, hacked off looking Woody Woodpecker throwing beer bottles.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

This is my favorite airplane nose art. Best bush plane ever built and the most fun to fly in the mountains or right above the tree tops. The Super Cub was used in combat in Vietnam as a spotter plane.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Enjoy a little nose art and political commentary. 1886 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQNTRjah ... re=channel
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

casastahle wrote:Ran chills of pride up and down my spine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDLxqkeJ10
great pics guys.......

I wonder if that is the same B-17 that was restored here in new symrna beach?
awesome plane with a great history...
saw it in a airshow in daytona....flying with a F1-17
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Here is the nose art on the B-24 my Dad flew in for RAF Costal Command hunting U-Boats.
They spotted 29 U-Boats, attacked 19 and sank 4.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

txpete wrote:some shots from the CAF in midland.they saved these before the acft were turned to scrap.

Wouldn't one of those made a great wall piece in a "man cave"?! :mrgreen:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

My wife's grandfather marked many of his planes with Mickey Maus. They were usually marked below the window.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

dr walker wrote:My wife's grandfather marked many of his planes with Mickey Maus. They were usually marked below the window.

Interesting...JG26 Schlageter IIRC?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

dr walker,

Adolf Galland by any chance?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

+1 Galland
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

His name is Douglas Pitcairn. He flew with Galland (that was where I found the image). They flew together in the fighter wing 3/Jagdgeschwader 88.
He flew HE-51's and BF109's.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ahhh, the Condor Legion!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

El Chivo wrote:Nose art is one reason I like the P-40's. They started the tradition with the shark's teeth.
Not quite, while popularized during WWII, after all we had one heck of a lot more airplaines, nose art was seen on some WWI aircraft.

By the way, the P-40 is my favorite WWII airplane as well. While the nose art is nice, I'm more impressed by the fact that when needed, it could be turned out rapidly. While things like the P-38 and P-51 were "on the drawing boards", the redesigned P-36 (they went from a radial to an inline engine, and had to change the wings and fuselage a bit), went into production in a very short time. It remained the only aircraft used by all of the allied nations, serving with some of the smaller nations until the end of the war and beyond.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad