OT what'll do alot,,,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT what'll do alot,,,

Post by Nath »

will do a little!

Struggling with the snow and freeze I left the bow this weekend and decided to take the Enfield p61 musketoon in .58 smoothbore. ParkerHale made some in smoothbore I suspect due to a combination of stupid Brit law and re-enactment maybe.

I opted for a patched ball for my walk and the home modified rear sight puts it just above the post at 50yds or so. Out from dawn till dusk having lunch in my camp with the stove warming me some. I struggled to find game all day and in the fading light I was deciding if to shoot the ball or pull it when I spotted a rabbit sitting out of his cover watching the sun set.

I made Tia sit and stay as I stalked in the crunchy snow and frost. At what seemed like a long 50yds I could not get any closer so levelled the gun. In the fading light the snow helped the iron sights, I trued them up and sat the young buck rabbit on top. When the gun settled I squeezed the trigger, the big slow hammer dropped and boom. When the smoke cleared my rabbit was flat out then gave a squeal and crawled into cover! Calling the dog I took her to the spot and sent her into the cover to which a retrieve was made.

The ball had just licked it's back enough to slow him up, not to bad for no twist!

Here is a snap,

This musketoon would take large game no problem to 50yds and is handy with an ounce or more of shot too. It is a joy to carry too thanks to Perry Owens for sending me the sling!
I seem to be enjoying a bow or front stuffer more and more these days!

I imagine a trap door feeling the same carry wise.

Thats me done.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT what'll do alot,,,

Post by GoatGuy »

Nath - you're the best. I really appreciate your posts, including the details, photos and references to Tia doing her bit. Keep 'em coming.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice!
looks pretty cold there!
its 75F here in florida!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

RIHMFIRE wrote:nice!
looks pretty cold there!
its 75F here in florida!
Its been around 24f around here, east and north have heavy snow. Supposed to be getting colder with a wind this week!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I can't see anything in your picture except the beautiful little lady.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Love Tia! A Springer?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool guns those Enfield Musketoons, I once had the 2 band p58 but the balance was awful for a hunting gun. Well done on the rabbit, I guess you aimed to crease it so that there was something left for the pot! :wink:

Just got our first snow down here in Hampshire.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very cool, I have long been interested in using black powder on small game but .... had a brief 6 months with the round ball, 700 rounds or so. And I think I have that bag.

Great picture.
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great stuff Nath! :mrgreen: That looks like a handy little rig.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's great! Nice shooting with a fine smokepole.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I love your dog.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for posting, Nath - beautiful gun, beautiful rig, and an equally beautiful "man's best friend" - Tia looks "marvelous" ! :P :P

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Nath, I'm liking the bow/BP combo very much!. Nice pup that Tia!. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Cool guns those Enfield Musketoons, I once had the 2 band p58 but the balance was awful for a hunting gun. Well done on the rabbit, I guess you aimed to crease it so that there was something left for the pot! :wink:

Just got our first snow down here in Hampshire.

Thanks gents for your kind remarks :D

GK I had a p58 and moved it on,, it was a minter too but to darned heavy for the field.

Funny you did say aimed off slightly! I do keep pulling this gun to the right when I fire it, don't know why, mumbo jumbo in my head I think :roll:

Tia and I found a wounded pheasant earlier in the day and she missed it. I sent her to get it quick and in the confusion it went one way and she went another :roll: I was annoyed for a while but hey,,,,,

Best wishes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!