Need opinions on 1873 Winchester 32-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roofuss
Levergunner

Need opinions on 1873 Winchester 32-20

Post by Roofuss »

Recently I bought an original 1873 Winchester in 32-20 . The gun has its original and factory optional 26" octagon barrel { 24" was standard } which has seen its better days. The gun does shoot fairly decent groups out to 100 yards or so but the barrels interior looks to be quite rough in one particular area. I am trying to decide if I should go to the expense and re-line the original barrel {work would be done by Redman's } at a total cost of approximately $300. and a 4-6 month wait ,or to just leave it in " as is " condition and shoot it ?
Overall the rifle is in pretty good condition otherwise, with I'd guess about a 70% rating and has very old and well done inlay designs on both sides of the butt stock.

One other consideration is : What would hurt the guns value most, a relined bore, or the original in poor internal condition :?:

Any educated opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated :?: Thanks.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need opinions on 1873 Winchester 32-20

Post by kimwcook »

I would venture to state it depends on whose looking at it, a collector or a shooter. I'd rather have the barrel relined and have a functioning firearm. A collector, well I'm not, so I can't answer......what they're looking for.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It has been My experience that "Collectors" want Pristine pieces,any thing that distracts from that U get docked for. The way it is They will say Oh bad bore and try to make U think it is just a wall hanger. On the other hand if U reline it they will say Oh it has been relined and dock U there. But as others have said on this forum " They don't make them any more ". If it makes it shoot better and U R going to keep it- Line It.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

The gun shoots "decent " groups out to 100 yards or so, but not a tack driver by any means. Not sure just how valuable it would be to a collector with the inlays { although very well done } in the stock , either ?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

my 73 in 32-20 has a bad bore it shoots 314 dia the best with soft lead & 4198 then clean after20 shots or so ollogger
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

That $300 will go a long way toward a modern Marlin 1894.

You say your 1873 shoots OK to 100 yards.
Unless you are planning on shooting it a whole lot, I think I'd keep my money, and enjoy the gun in the condition it already is in.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If it shoots a pie plate at 100 and a minute of squirrel at 50, I'd call it good.

I have an old 92 with a rough bore and although it won't shoot plain based bullets, gas checked work.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

...Or the third option, you could have Mike Hunter make you a new barrel that would have original type markings etc on it, and be a new bore. I don't know what barrel costs to make, but he can do it. The price may be reasonable compared to what a reline is, and the reline would forever change the original barrel. Make a new barrel, and you have a new bore to shoot, and still have the orginal to put back on if desired. You could then sell the new barrel also, and recoup some of the money you put out.

With the inlays in the stock, I'd guess the reline would be the biggest hit in value. If you're going to keep it, do whatever you think will make it most useful and practical for you and don't worry about the value. I've altered every Browning lever gun I have. It seems to bother some folks, but I see no reason to save it for someone else. I want to use it, and have no reservations about making it suit my purposes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd take the Malamute path, keep the old parts, shoot it, and restore it to original if I had to.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have a 92, made in 92, that is a 32-20. When I got it, the bore was shot out so I had a Redman's liner installed then had Nate Kiowa Jones get it to feed properly, (very smooth now). The original bbl markings are still there and only an expert can tell it's been relined. I really don't think the liner hurts the value IMHO.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I had a std rifle '73 in that caliber which didn't want to shoot well. It was a decent rifle except for the bore. I traded it several years ago in Tulsa....later I wished I'd kept it and had it relined. As for collector grade...the '73's were produced in high numbers..especially third models. So it takes a pretty nice one to bump up the price on them IMO. Judging from your description, it is just average except for the special length barrel...so I'd reline it and have a ball...

Ed
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

That $300 will go a long way toward a modern Marlin 1894.

I own several antique Marlins , the newest being an 1889 in 44-40 . Not into the newer stuff. :)
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

...Or the third option, you could have Mike Hunter make you a new barrel that would have original type markings etc on it, and be a new bore. I don't know what barrel costs to make, but he can do it. The price may be reasonable compared to what a reline is, and the reline would forever change the original barrel. Make a new barrel, and you have a new bore to shoot, and still have the original to put back on if desired. You could then sell the new barrel also, and recoup some of the money you put out

Malamute : Sounds like an idea for serious consideration. Do you have any info on Mike Hunter, so I could get in touch with him about my rifle ? Thanks !!
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

.Or the third option, you could have Mike Hunter make you a new barrel that would have original type markings etc on it, and be a new bore. I don't know what barrel costs to make, but he can do it. The price may be reasonable compared to what a reline is, and the reline would forever change the original barrel

Malamute : Never mind, I found his website, and a new barrel will run me from $600. - $750. plus stamping and shipping ......a reline is A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER :!: Thanks for the suggestion, just the same . :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A reline might be less costly, but it ruins the character of the original gun. A new barrel will be far more reliable and can be removed and the original reinstalled. If my Winchester suffered a bad bore a new barrel would be my choice, but that's just me. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Definately in the new baarrel rather that reline crowd here for what it is worth. That way when you decide to sell the weapon y ou just put the original barrel back on and the colectotors pay full price!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I would not reline. I had a 73 in 3220 that had a sewer pipe for a bore. I tried a few bullet moulds and several alloys before I hit one that shot great. The alloy was wheelweights. Everything else shot horribly and I too considered relining (I do it myself so the cost was minimal). Anyway, experiment with different alloys you may get even better accuracy than you are getting now. As to your reline or not question...I will tell you that here in Ohio gun shows a poor bore is worth more than a relined bore. I have first hand experience with this having relined several 1890 winchesters and stevens favorites, getting tired of them (ie: wanting to upgrade) and trying to sell them. I would make relining a last resort.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

Well, for me anyway, a new barrel is out of the question due to cost , and relining or just leaving the barrel as is and shooting it , are running neck & neck . Tough decision on my part and still not convinced either way.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

just how bad is the bore?

you could try fire lapping, tends to smooth out some of the uglys inside.

something like this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=646612
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

Due to the time of year, I've decided to hold off doing anything with the rifle for right now. Gonna have a rather large bill due to Santa, so about Feb. or March time frame I will make a decision. Thanks to all who commented and contributed :!: :D